$100 to fill an A4

Started by Audi-man, April 28, 2006, 08:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hitmanGTI

Quote from: Pristle on May 01, 2006, 12:22:33 PM
Is there a 'reserve' that isn't included in the stated capacities?
Most cars a 5 - 8 Litre unstated reserve..

Filx

Quote from: isnowi on April 30, 2006, 12:29:23 PM
I agree, only thing is there is a slight flaw, that is that the government taxation is static, ie it doesn't change when the petrol price goes up, therefore, if our consumption of petrol drops then the governments tax take also drops, and they then have to put up other taxes (or increase the petrol tax) to compensate, doh.

Certainly there is a fixed proportion of tax in petrol. However as I see it (and correct me if I'm wrong) as GST is charged on top of the fixed costs it means the higher the overall petrol price goes the more tax is actually collected.
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

i wana rs6

Quote from: Filx on May 01, 2006, 06:12:36 PM
Certainly there is a fixed proportion of tax in petrol. However as I see it (and correct me if I'm wrong) as GST is charged on top of the fixed costs it means the higher the overall petrol price goes the more tax is actually collected.
Correct. But is GST charged on the tax component of petrol as well? If it is, as i think it is, then we are paying tax on the tax. Damned government.
Was interesting and annoyed to hear Mobils latest profit figures. Very small at only $8b. Think that was just for a quarter year as well. Not sure if Us or NZ $ but it doesnt make much of a difference.

1.8t

I hope my new car will be more economical than the vento!

Petrol costs a poor dtudent like me too much, well it means I just spend less on drinks and Mc Ds so its not too bad..
Dudlee the 86 318i
Past.. 95 328i M Coupe, 97 Pug 306, 97 Vento

Filx

Quote from: i wana rs6 on May 01, 2006, 06:33:17 PM
Correct. But is GST charged on the tax component of petrol as well? If it is, as i think it is, then we are paying tax on the tax. Damned government.
Was interesting and annoyed to hear Mobils latest profit figures. Very small at only $8b. Think that was just for a quarter year as well. Not sure if Us or NZ $ but it doesnt make much of a difference.

Yep - it's a tax on tax  >:( But that's a whole other discussion!
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

isnowi

Yeh, but remember GST is only 12.5% and works out at around 18c per litre (roughly) and that all the other taxes are a lot more, i think it works out at being around 54c per litre, i am not sure if that includes GST, i don't think it does. therefore  if petrol consumption drops even by 1%nationwide the government stands to lose a huge amount of money. That simply wont be covered by the increased GST it is receiving
1985 Subaru Brumby
2003 Golf Variant Highline

hitmanGTI

Quote from: 1.8t on May 01, 2006, 08:27:45 PM

Petrol costs a poor dtudent like me too much, well it means I just spend less on drinks and Mc Ds so its not too bad..

If you want economical.. just buy a corrola DX or a Civic LXI..

I know my Carolla DX used to get 750km to a tank.. Thrashing it every where (kinda had to it was gutless)

I reckon it was the racing Stripes on the carolla that gave it the extra edge lol.. (good old Electrical Tape.)

Period_Correct_

Quote from: 1.8t on May 01, 2006, 08:27:45 PM

maybe this friday we meet up at AUT vesbar huh?

shadz gets too hot in there dude... and AUT has better 131TCH35....
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

1.8t

Quote from: NasTnaS on May 02, 2006, 10:18:03 AM
maybe this friday we meet up at AUT vesbar huh?

shadz gets too hot in there dude... and AUT has better 131TCH35....

Are you studying at AUT these days dude?

Yea Shads isnt a very nice place, its pretty muckky there. Vesbar is much nicer, esp if you can get a seat out in the sun :)
Dudlee the 86 318i
Past.. 95 328i M Coupe, 97 Pug 306, 97 Vento

Period_Correct_

yea, studying....

see u friday...
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

Dubious

First tank of petrol in the A4 lasted 500kms which is fairly reasonable.  Nothing though compared with the TDi/320d  :-\

I think the Caltex 96 octane fuel wasn't very good quality as the car seems to pink under load occasionally. Might have to buy 98 tomorrow when I fill up (at over $1.80/L  :o)
15 8V S3 APR Stage 1

Turbo

Quote from: Dubious on May 04, 2006, 09:08:32 PM
First tank of petrol in the A4 lasted 500kms which is fairly reasonable.  Nothing though compared with the TDi/320d  :-\

I think the Caltex 96 octane fuel wasn't very good quality as the car seems to pink under load occasionally. Might have to buy 98 tomorrow when I fill up (at over $1.80/L  :o)

500 is good, it's only 50 odd litres isn't it? were you just doing highway driving?
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

Dubious

Quote from: Turbo on May 04, 2006, 09:58:42 PM
500 is good, it's only 50 odd litres isn't it? were you just doing highway driving?

Nah a mix of city and hwy. Giving it an occasional boost (as you do on the first week)  :)
15 8V S3 APR Stage 1

Turbo

Quote from: Dubious on May 05, 2006, 09:51:54 AM
Nah a mix of city and hwy. Giving it an occasional boost (as you do on the first week)  :)

tell me about it, i haven't stopped.
but still i'd only get over 500 on highway driving on my old A4, it was chipped but i don't think it affected it economy much, if at all.
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

i wana rs6

i get 550-600km from a b5 a4. Always use 98 although it does backfire/ping when going down through the gears. Any ideas why this is the case?

hitmanGTI

Quote from: i wana rs6 on May 05, 2006, 10:35:51 AM
i get 550-600km from a b5 a4. Always use 98 although it does backfire/ping when going down through the gears. Any ideas why this is the case?

faulty coil on plugs???

Turbo

Quote from: i wana rs6 on May 05, 2006, 10:35:51 AM

man, i only ever got over 500 from highway driving. maybe it wasn't running on air after all anton.. ;)

jack in a vox

i bought my A4 1.8 from auckland, and drove it down to wellington with one full tank.. with a bit more left in the tank when i arrived.. i do roughly about 420-450ish city driving..

tempq18t

I get about 440-450 per tank from mine in city driving - 650 if I leave town, amazing difference.
My first tank of the 'new' grade Shell 95 gave me 480 and that was with roof racks on for the week which I never normally have on.
have taken them off for this week to see if the new fuel is as good as they say

boraV5

but shell has had 95 for about 3-4 months now .... is this what your talking about, or have they revised it in the last month>