Tesla enters the UTE market

Started by Naekyr, November 22, 2019, 07:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slowmo

Quote from: McDoof on November 25, 2019, 12:42:56 PM
The next question would be: Which tradie can afford a $300k ute? I imagine that would be the rough price you'd end up with.

The answer is - tax deductible and FBT free hahahaha

USD pricing / No nz pricing yet (but guess from Tesla Model 3)
Single motor RWD - 39k / 80k
Dual Motor AWD - 49k / 90k
Tri Motor AWD - 69k / 120k

Can?t really compare this to Rangers or HiLuxes or Amaroks. This is more like a F150 or RAM competitor. The promised spec is just really insanely good.

Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

Naekyr

Quote from: McDoof on November 25, 2019, 12:42:56 PM
The next question would be: Which tradie can afford a $300k ute? I imagine that would be the rough price you'd end up with.

Looks more like it will line up with the Ford Raptor's pricing.

Also, by the time this is for sale - the EV subsidy will be in full swing, where the goverment/tax payer covers $8k of the purchase price.

brian

Quote from: Naekyr on November 25, 2019, 06:00:57 PM
Looks more like it will line up with the Ford Raptor's pricing.

Also, by the time this is for sale - the EV subsidy will be in full swing, where the goverment/tax payer covers $8k of the purchase price.
+

The government does not have any money of its' own.......it is OUR money
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

slowmo

Quote from: brian on November 25, 2019, 06:03:14 PM
+

Nice uneducated rant.

Not to sound like a typical EVangelist but the subsidy is to encourage people to buy fuel efficient or low-emissions vehicles. Also the feebate taxes high emission cars and subsidises the low emission vehicles. I suggest you read the proposed policy.

Let?s not even consider the long term benefits that cleaner air or less reliance on oil brings eh?

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

Gordo

Quote from: slowburn on November 25, 2019, 12:11:29 PM
its ugly as damn....but I reckon once you got behind the wheel it wouldn't matter

Still got to walk up to it before you get in, and then there are those darned shop windows...
These are my thoughts and opinions - sometimes I'm wrong, but not often ;-)

brian

Quote from: slowmo on November 25, 2019, 09:20:32 PM
Nice uneducated rant.

Not to sound like a typical EVangelist but the subsidy is to encourage people to buy fuel efficient or low-emissions vehicles. Also the feebate taxes high emission cars and subsidises the low emission vehicles. I suggest you read the proposed policy.

Let?s not even consider the long term benefits that cleaner air or less reliance on oil brings eh?

Well you may not want to, but you do sound like a typical EVangelist. If it can't stand on it's feet without a government subsidy, then they need to sharpen their pencils and technology so they can sell at a competitive price.
Until then EV's remain a play thing for the well off.
At the end of the day, affordable transport it what it is about.

Gordo

Quote from: brian on November 25, 2019, 06:03:14 PM
+

Maybe if you re-read what he wrote - note the bit I put in bold - "where the goverment/tax payer covers $8k of the purchase price".
It really isn't any different from single people - or more correctly those without kids - being forced to cover the breeders' child subsidies, and other costs associated with a growing population, which also includes environment harm...

the phantom

Quote from: brian on November 26, 2019, 07:59:06 AM
Well you may not want to, but you do sound like a typical EVangelist. If it can't stand on it's feet without a government subsidy, then they need to sharpen their pencils and technology so they can sell at a competitive price.

there are plenty of examples of "capitalist" enterprises that receive government subsidy in one form or another, Tiwai Point, the NZ movie industry, banks that are "too big to fail"
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

McDoof

Quote from: Gordo on November 26, 2019, 08:20:55 AM
It really isn't any different from single people - or more correctly those without kids - being forced to cover the breeders' child subsidies, and other costs associated with a growing population, which also includes environment harm...

I have 3 kids and have not got any government assistance from any angle. That may be the one tax you feel "singled" out on, but we all pay tax, it goes to all sorts of things. Some you will benefit from and others you will not. I bet there are a lot of people without cars that hate having to subsidise road building and EV grants.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

slowmo

Quote from: brian on November 26, 2019, 07:59:06 AM

I?m with you on the being affordable bit but what the incentives/feebate is trying to accomplish is to convert people to buying an electric vehicle if they may otherwise buy a petrol car. Affordability wise, sure the EV may cost more up front but not having to pay petrol ever is a good long term benefit and cost saving.

I still love my turbocharged VW but for the daily grind - EV is the way to go.

Naekyr

Starting to get specs

If you opt for the $69k usd tri motor top model expect 790HP and 1360nm of torque!

And you can figure the specs of the others because it's 1 less motor for each model down.

The top of the range F-150 come in around 700nm so the Cybertruck is nearly double that.

slowmo

Really good specs eh? What has really sold me on the Teslas is the free ongoing updates/upgrades.

Did you read that all Teslas just got a software upgrade (free) that increases range and power output by 5%?

So your Tesla just gets better with age. Think the Germans can beat that?

I?m still not sold on the Cybertruck styling though hahaha  :laugh:

brian

Quote from: Naekyr on November 26, 2019, 10:40:54 AM
Starting to get specs

If you opt for the $69k usd tri motor top model expect 790HP and 1360nm of torque!

And you can figure the specs of the others because it's 1 less motor for each model down.

The top of the range F-150 come in around 700nm so the Cybertruck is nearly double that.

An electric motor is always going to guzzump a petrol when it comes to torque , that's why ships and trains use them

Gordo

Quote from: McDoof on November 26, 2019, 09:40:51 AM
I have 3 kids and have not got any government assistance from any angle. That may be the one tax you feel "singled" out on, but we all pay tax, it goes to all sorts of things. Some you will benefit from and others you will not. I bet there are a lot of people without cars that hate having to subsidise road building and EV grants.

I agree about the latter parts, much of which we hope not to need, like medical and police services - but you're overlooking "and other costs associated" which I used instead of things like schools, roading, and other infrastructure required by the increasing population. I commend you in paying for the direct costs yourself, though.

Naekyr

Quote from: slowmo on November 26, 2019, 10:49:56 AM
Really good specs eh? What has really sold me on the Teslas is the free ongoing updates/upgrades.

Did you read that all Teslas just got a software upgrade (free) that increases range and power output by 5%?

Can't be all bad - Cybertruck pre orders are now to 250,000 units

RobClubley

Quote from: slowmo on November 26, 2019, 10:49:56 AM

Thing is it needs to get better. I did 1000km in a Model 3 last weekend. I was not impressed, the whole thing feels like a pre-prod beta test.
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

Naekyr

Quote from: RobClubley on November 28, 2019, 09:44:15 AM
Thing is it needs to get better. I did 1000km in a Model 3 last weekend. I was not impressed, the whole thing feels like a pre-prod beta test.

But what other car comes with the Cyber ATV!??

Turns out the ATV at the event wasn't just to show how big the flatbed is, it comes with the Cybertruck

rambo_005

Quote from: Naekyr on November 28, 2019, 09:07:44 AM
Can't be all bad - Cybertruck pre orders are now to 250,000 units

Isn't a 'preorder' for this a $100 refundable deposit? I doubt 250,000 will turn into immediate purchases. All part of the Tesla hype machine.

Gordo

Simone just posted a new video, about her original Tesla ute - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCKjmfsgBBY

Naekyr

The Dubai police has announced they will be putting the Cybertruck into service, they did not say how many they ordered