The Renault Sport Thread

Started by RS, July 26, 2013, 08:57:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RS

Cool video here from EVO's Harry Metcalfe. We never revived this model in New Zealand but it sums up why the Clio II was so awesome.
Some interesting view points on Hot Hatches and references to the VW too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTTI-aMKn60

I apologize if this is not appropriate on VASK, just thought I would share as its a cool video. 

brian

Excellent video, thanks for that.
There is a Fiat thread here, so maybe there is room for a Renault one also
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

schattenblau

Never driven a Trophy but have driven the standard Clio Sport and they are wonderful little cars.

Much under-appreciated.

A fellow in Palmy has been trying to get rid of his low mileage Clio Sport  for near on a year with no takers.

:(

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=518521087

brian

These are generally well under rated by all but a few real enthusiasts.
Mind you, Renault marketing in NZ has been woeful for many years and I imagine the average man in the street wouldn't even recognise one

RS

The marketing budget has been minuscule for years, there are pluming companies with a bigger spend... this could be soon to change though and the brand is growing rapidly  :-X

I know there are a few enthusiasts around, a few own them on this forum.

Happy to start a thread with updates on exciting new models etc if it is of any interest to anyone, the target audience is very small in New Zealand, its very much a niche brand here.

Quote from: schattenblau on July 26, 2013, 03:06:57 PM
Never driven a Trophy but have driven the standard Clio Sport and they are wonderful little cars.

Much under-appreciated.

A fellow in Palmy has been trying to get rid of his low mileage Clio Sport  for near on a year with no takers.

They are a great drive, its one of those cars that need to be driven hard to be appreciated and when you do it all makes sense, if you don't understand it you have not/can not drive it to its potential.
The GT86 is the same, have heard some fantastic comment on that car based on figures and slow test drives.

RS ZWEI

Phil on the forum has a Clio 182, they are a car I would like to have a steer of.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

schattenblau

Driven an 86 in semi-anger and I found it meh !

Would rather punt an MX5...

:P

Megane RS265 on the other hand...

>:D

RS

Have driven the GT86 and Megane back to back and they are very different cars, both very good but the GT86 is more fun at legal speeds and the experience is a lot more tactile, as a weekend fun car for someone who perhaps is not into all out speed the GT86 is a great car.

brian

Quote from: RS on July 26, 2013, 04:04:11 PM
The marketing budget has been minuscule for years, there are pluming companies with a bigger spend... this could be soon to change though and the brand is growing rapidly  :-X

I know there are a few enthusiasts around, a few own them on this forum.

Happy to start a thread with updates on exciting new models etc if it is of any interest to anyone, the target audience is very small in New Zealand, its very much a niche brand here.

They are a great drive, its one of those cars that need to be driven hard to be appreciated and when you do it all makes sense, if you don't understand it you have not/can not drive it to its potential.
The GT86 is the same, have heard some fantastic comment on that car based on figures and slow test drives.

I for one have a long term interest in things Renault having owned a few in the past.
Actually got my drivers licence in a new Dauphine (that ages me a bit I guess)

RS ZWEI

Much under-appreciated.

Didnt he start off wanting 20K for it? Wouldnt it be worth more 10-12K?
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

ritmo

Much under-appreciated.

That looks good. Saw it on tm a couple months ago and thought worth a look as replacement for better halves car. But never followed it up.

RS ZWEI

Much under-appreciated.

This sold to a lady yesterday.
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

RS

This is a bargain for someone. I have a friend with one and it embarrasses a lot cars/drivers on the road/track... think Type-R without the image  :)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/renault/clio/auction-619684566.htm

ritmo

Fizz

Are the clio sports turbo? Agree they are very under rated cars and when lowered and with uprated ARB's there's very few cars that can keep up with it on the twisties

phil

I love my 182. Spent a bit of money on it lately getting it all nice again and will be bringing back some more go fast/handling upgrade bits with me from the UK when I am over there for work in November. The Cliosport scene over there is very healthy.

I am pretty certain it is quicker then the M3...especially on tighter twistier roads. Poor M3 doesn't get driven as much since I got the 182.

schattenblau

these old ones are na, manual gearbox and 3 doors.

latest one is turbo'd, flappy paddled and 5 doored.

:-

brian

Quote from: schattenblau on July 29, 2013, 10:36:08 PM
these old ones are na, manual gearbox and 3 doors.

latest one is turbo'd, flappy paddled and 5 doored.

:-

The way the world is moving unfortunately

RS

Yes, gone are the days of big engine in a small hatch.

Quote from: phil on July 29, 2013, 10:25:34 PM
I love my 182. Spent a bit of money on it lately getting it all nice again and will be bringing back some more go fast/handling upgrade bits with me from the UK when I am over there for work in November. The Cliosport scene over there is very healthy.

I am pretty certain it is quicker then the M3...especially on tighter twistier roads. Poor M3 doesn't get driven as much since I got the 182.

Performance should be similar to the M3 only you would not be as comfortable driving a E30 M3 to ten tenths.

What mods are you doing to the 182?

Salty

I drove the 200 at Nurburg and found handling good but the engine frustrated me.. Seemed to only like being driven on the cam and that didnt feel all that fast. Loved the gearbox though. From what I have read they got heavier so the 182 is the one to go for
Now in air cooled. '70 fastback 1835 turbo
2012 VW Golf Gti MKVI
2013 Triumph Street triple R