Author Topic: The Renault Sport Thread  (Read 11313 times)

Offline Audidude

• ##
    • Audidude's home on the web
Re: The Renault Sport Thread
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2013, 08:55:33 am »
As in most models the older ones are the ones to go for if you are looking for a pure driving experience:

Lighter
Noisier
Manual box
Normally aspirated

The Clios and Type Rs............. driving bliss  8)

Flappy paddles, lard, refinement - all degrade the thrill of driving.
'90 Audi ur quattro 20v Tornado Red
'15 VW Amarok Highline 4Motion auto
'99 BMW M5 E39 (For Sale, see TM)
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM K20A - Circuit race car
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM, Championship White
'15 Renault Megane 265 RS, Capsicum Red
'03 Porsche 911 996.2 C2, Black, full leather interior

Offline RS

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2013, 09:19:39 am »
Its a shame Renault Sport have gone the way of VW with the new generation Clio RS, but they are a business and need to sell cars and building hard core cars that only appeal to a very small part of the market is not sustainable.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/pure-driving-experiences-renault-megane-renaultsport-265

And that is the non cup model so lacks the firmer suspension and LSD, we don't get that "full fat" model down under, all cars have the Cup Package.

My wife is giving me s**t because I am driving to Wellington instead of flying for next weeks beervana, try and explain that you just love driving to someone who doesn't get it?

Offline RobClubley

• Audi Owner!
  • ###
  • Incessant car tinkerer
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2013, 06:29:17 am »
My wife is giving me s**t because I am driving to Wellington instead of flying for next weeks beervana, try and explain that you just love driving to someone who doesn't get it?

Haha yeah this is why I drove up for Speedshow.

Interesting video. That man has some lovely cars!
1985 ur quattro
2006 A4 3.2 quattro (Not to be modified by order of the wife!)
quattro project

Offline brian

• ##
1.6 Polo

Offline Number21

• #
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2013, 09:40:22 pm »
I have to say, pretty appealing package.

I know it probably isn't as well screwed together as the equivalent Golf, and not sure about resale. But if I was buying a new or near new one, I'd pick it over the Golf. I know it looks funny but just seems a little bit more... interesting.

Offline Gordo

• ##
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2013, 11:03:23 pm »
Well, it's got a proper gearbox for starters  8)
These are my thoughts and opinions - sometimes I'm wrong, but not often ;-)

Offline brian

• ##
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2013, 08:04:23 am »
Well, it's got a proper gearbox for starters  8)

One wonders for how much longer with the Clio RS now only available with double clutch
1.6 Polo

Offline RS

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2013, 09:03:29 am »

I know it probably isn't as well screwed together as the equivalent Golf, and not sure about resale. But if I was buying a new or near new one, I'd pick it over the Golf. I know it looks funny but just seems a little bit more... interesting.

The RBR special edition is very well packaged with Recaro's and the new generation RS monitor. There will be a handful coming to NZ in the next few months, a few are pre-sold.

We have had ours since 2011 and have never had a comment that it looks funny, quite the opposite, people (grown ups) love it, most comment thinking its a 100+k car, it looks fantastic rolling down the road, nice lines and bulges here and there and detailing that makes it stand out from other boring shapes... have even parked next to a brand new Golf at a Cafe and watched people walk past and not one even noticed the golf... it can be annoying wiping the finger prints off the windows from people paring in up close, I think I may tint the front glass soon.

As you say resale wont be great but its a premium I am happy to pay to drive something different, build quality is good, its not as fancy as a Golf but you do get all the latest mod cons that are "options only" on the Golf, you get nice Recaro's, a Manual Gearbox with a Mechanical LSD and performance and dynamics that are in another league.

Biggest gripe I have is the cost of tyres, whilst it is fun to drive hard, when you do it burns through the expensive tyres fast, we are at 55,000km now and its on its third set of tyres, 600-800 a corner it adds up, so I would recommend the 18" wheels over the 19" wheels we have fitted if you like driving fast.

One wonders for how much longer with the Clio RS now only available with double clutch

From the reviews they have dropped the ball on the new Clio's gearbox, from what I have read the car is actually quite good, its the fastest car in its sector only the gearbox is s**t, enthusiasts want a manual gearbox! I can only guess it will still sell well.

Personally I would buy a Ford Fiesta ST, they are cheaper and have a proper manual gearbox.

Will hold out and hope Renault bring out a better phase II Clio in a year or so.

Offline schattenblau

• ##
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2013, 11:47:49 am »

I was surprised at just how well screwed together the last Megane RS's (R26, RS265) I've driven were.

Both were press demos with some hard km's on them.

Granted the quality of the interior was not VW standard but nothing squeaked, rattled, fell off, or broke.

Certainly no VAG product in my experience gets close to delivering as pure driving experience and that includes Audi RS cars.

Offline Number21

• #
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2013, 11:55:09 am »
I kind of like how the shape of the bonnet is reminiscent of an Alpine, and the Renault Sport Spider (a truly wacky car that I've always had a soft spot for for some reason).

Offline RS

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2013, 12:08:47 pm »
I was surprised at just how well screwed together the last Megane RS's (R26, RS265) I've driven were.

Both were press demos with some hard km's on them.

Granted the quality of the interior was not VW standard but nothing squeaked, rattled, fell off, or broke.

Certainly no VAG product in my experience gets close to delivering as pure driving experience and that includes Audi RS cars.

You will still get rattles like in any other brand! My drivers side window makes a noise and I have to spray silicone on the frame every couple of weeks. The 35 series tyres don't help road noise on course chip either, but these are just niggles really, over all the car is still much better built and quieter than a 10 year old equivalent and modern standards are high.

Like I said you sacrifice bulls**t for real tools, the massive Brembo brakes alone are worth more to me than soft touch plastics in the boot that will impress the female GTI buyer who see's shopping a better day spent than a trackday.  ;)

The test of time will tell, they are no Toyota. Ironically the one item that has worn out was the German made Recaro seat, seems they still make them out of tissue paper, Renault were good and replaced it under warranty and I have noted they have amended the problem with the face lift and now have a piece of leather on the wear prone area's.

Note the outer edge:

Offline schattenblau

• ##
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2013, 12:26:25 pm »
Did your 2011 Recaros have side airbags ?

IIRC the old R26 for NZ didn't have Recaros because the seats didn't have side airbags in them so didn't meet ADR specs as our cars shared the Aussie spec.

Must find the pix I took...

;)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 01:22:43 pm by schattenblau »

Offline RS

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2013, 12:54:37 pm »

All Megane III with Recaro option have the side airbags.

My Megane II F1 did not get the Recaro's because of ADR specs, the OEM seats were so heavy its not funny, like 40+kg per seat!

Offline schattenblau

• ##
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2013, 05:10:31 pm »
Renaultsportfest

;D

2008 R26

2012 RS265