The Renault Sport Thread

Started by RS, July 26, 2013, 08:57:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

schattenblau

theres a uk imp clio rs200 on tardme.

$37k !!!

RS

Quote from: Salty on July 30, 2013, 10:03:53 AM
I drove the 200 at Nurburg and found handling good but the engine frustrated me.. Seemed to only like being driven on the cam and that didnt feel all that fast. Loved the gearbox though. From what I have read they got heavier so the 182 is the one to go for

People rave about the RS200, I found the same when i drove one, it felt a bit slow compared to my Megane with the Turbo.

Check out this video of a 500BHP RS250 that dijon racing have been tinkering with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uuvpRsNpcFo#at=105

phil

Quote from: RS on July 30, 2013, 08:31:09 AM
Yes, gone are the days of big engine in a small hatch.

Performance should be similar to the M3 only you would not be as comfortable driving a E30 M3 to ten tenths.

What mods are you doing to the 182?

In the last few months:

Cambelt, aux belt, waterpump etc and new brake rotors and pads all around.
Samco induction kit and Pipercross filter - have removed acoustic valve assembly to allow more cold air up toward when the filter now sits in front of the battery.
All new tires - Toyo T1R
Powerflex bushings in front ARB, dogbone gearbox mount
Solid engine mounts
By the end of the year:

Koni yellows ( allready has Eibach sportlines)
Exhaust - something like a Milltek, Scorpian, Yozza
Replace balljoint bushings
Replace steering rack track rod ends and other steering and susp bits in the front
Whiteline rear ARB

I also have a new clutch ready for when I need it. Starting to feel a lile spongy, but still some life left in the old one yet.

phil

Oh, and a cosmetic mod. Installed a front splitter. Same as what the 182 Trophy has, except I got mine from Skoda in Newmarket. The ones for the Fabia fit perfect with just a wee trim off the ends and a fraction of the cost of the Renault one :-)

phil

Mine. Has got euro length plates since this photo was taken.

Filx

Quote from: schattenblau on July 30, 2013, 10:32:36 AM
NZ new RS197

Interesting, do these things have a proper mechanical LSD or is it electronic trickery?

FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

schattenblau

Stock has a plain old open front diff.

Doesn't seem to have hurt it.

One year in the Wheels magazine handling test the 197 pulled the highest G's on the skidpan.

Audidude

As in most models the older ones are the ones to go for if you are looking for a pure driving experience:

Lighter
Noisier
Manual box
Normally aspirated

The Clios and Type Rs............. driving bliss  8)

Flappy paddles, lard, refinement - all degrade the thrill of driving.
'90 Audi ur quattro 20v Tornado Red
'15 VW Amarok Highline 4Motion auto
'99 BMW M5 E39 (For Sale, see TM)
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM K20A - Circuit race car
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM, Championship White
'15 Renault Megane 265 RS, Capsicum Red
'03 Porsche 911 996.2 C2, Black, full leather interior

RS

Its a shame Renault Sport have gone the way of VW with the new generation Clio RS, but they are a business and need to sell cars and building hard core cars that only appeal to a very small part of the market is not sustainable.

Quote from: brian on July 31, 2013, 08:30:31 AM
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/pure-driving-experiences-renault-megane-renaultsport-265

And that is the non cup model so lacks the firmer suspension and LSD, we don't get that "full fat" model down under, all cars have the Cup Package.

My wife is giving me crap because I am driving to Wellington instead of flying for next weeks beervana, try and explain that you just love driving to someone who doesn't get it?

RobClubley

Quote from: RS on July 31, 2013, 09:19:39 AM
My wife is giving me s**t because I am driving to Wellington instead of flying for next weeks beervana, try and explain that you just love driving to someone who doesn't get it?

Haha yeah this is why I drove up for Speedshow.

Interesting video. That man has some lovely cars!
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

Number21

I have to say, pretty appealing package.

I know it probably isn't as well screwed together as the equivalent Golf, and not sure about resale. But if I was buying a new or near new one, I'd pick it over the Golf. I know it looks funny but just seems a little bit more... interesting.

Gordo

Well, it's got a proper gearbox for starters  8)
These are my thoughts and opinions - sometimes I'm wrong, but not often ;-)

brian

Quote from: Gordo on August 14, 2013, 11:03:23 PM
Well, it's got a proper gearbox for starters  8)

One wonders for how much longer with the Clio RS now only available with double clutch
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

RS

Quote from: Number21 on August 14, 2013, 09:40:22 PM

I know it probably isn't as well screwed together as the equivalent Golf, and not sure about resale. But if I was buying a new or near new one, I'd pick it over the Golf. I know it looks funny but just seems a little bit more... interesting.

The RBR special edition is very well packaged with Recaro's and the new generation RS monitor. There will be a handful coming to NZ in the next few months, a few are pre-sold.

We have had ours since 2011 and have never had a comment that it looks funny, quite the opposite, people (grown ups) love it, most comment thinking its a 100+k car, it looks fantastic rolling down the road, nice lines and bulges here and there and detailing that makes it stand out from other boring shapes... have even parked next to a brand new Golf at a Cafe and watched people walk past and not one even noticed the golf... it can be annoying wiping the finger prints off the windows from people paring in up close, I think I may tint the front glass soon.

As you say resale wont be great but its a premium I am happy to pay to drive something different, build quality is good, its not as fancy as a Golf but you do get all the latest mod cons that are "options only" on the Golf, you get nice Recaro's, a Manual Gearbox with a Mechanical LSD and performance and dynamics that are in another league.

Biggest gripe I have is the cost of tyres, whilst it is fun to drive hard, when you do it burns through the expensive tyres fast, we are at 55,000km now and its on its third set of tyres, 600-800 a corner it adds up, so I would recommend the 18" wheels over the 19" wheels we have fitted if you like driving fast.

Quote from: brian on August 15, 2013, 08:04:23 AM
One wonders for how much longer with the Clio RS now only available with double clutch

From the reviews they have dropped the ball on the new Clio's gearbox, from what I have read the car is actually quite good, its the fastest car in its sector only the gearbox is crap, enthusiasts want a manual gearbox! I can only guess it will still sell well.

Personally I would buy a Ford Fiesta ST, they are cheaper and have a proper manual gearbox.

Will hold out and hope Renault bring out a better phase II Clio in a year or so.

schattenblau

Quote from: Number21 on August 14, 2013, 09:40:22 PM

I was surprised at just how well screwed together the last Megane RS's (R26, RS265) I've driven were.

Both were press demos with some hard km's on them.

Granted the quality of the interior was not VW standard but nothing squeaked, rattled, fell off, or broke.

Certainly no VAG product in my experience gets close to delivering as pure driving experience and that includes Audi RS cars.