Troubles & Mechanic Recommendations?

Started by csmende, January 23, 2005, 08:26:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

csmende

Morning All,

This is my first post, and I'm quite happy to have found this forum after searching for the better part of a day! I read another thread about VASK activities, and agree that it'd be a good idea to get this site listed in more racing/automotive-related sites.

I'm hoping someone here can help me with a second opinion.  :-[

I have a 98 1.8TQM, and came cruising down a gravel road yesterday. For a moment I caught the center ridge, over which my exhaust went sliding. About 4-5 minutes later after getting on and off the freeway, I got on the gas and the car started to shudder, and was weak on power. It did it in all gears, and even in neutral while coasting and revving. Being just a few km's from a place I could leave the car I continued on -- whether under load or not, it would shudder when I brought it up to revs (3-4k), but was more pronounced under load.

When I got to my destination I got underneath best I could and it appeared that the flex-hose at the bottom of the downpipe had taken a pretty good whack, based on the ding on the leading edge, and scrapes along the straight pipe for a meter. The exhaust note out of the rear has turned nasty & clunky, though I can't seem to feel or see any exhaust leaks along the downpipe/cat (plenty of places you can't into though, without a lift). I don't hear an obvious exhaust leak, except that when I blip the throttle under the hood, there's definitely a low rumble/growl coming from below the exhaust manifold/cat/downpipe area.

Suggestions? I'm 90% certain it's just an exhaust issue, but I can't quite understand how it would make the engine shutter when there's no load (ie: just revving in neutral). There's no exhaust coloration, and it doesn't smell odd, so I'm sure it's not a bad spark or injection. I thought perhaps the wastegate is f**ked, but it's internal to the turbo, so let's not go there just yet!  :laugh:

I live in Auckland, the car is down in Bombay/Pukekohe.  Can anyone recommend a reputable shop anywhere between the two locations that knows how to finesse a VAG car? I'll probably just have it towed. I'm also due for some clutch work eventually.

Christopher

taupoq

Sounds like you need somone with vagcom. Just a guess but did you check the exhaust gas sensors? there are two of them one before and one after the cat.

csmende

Hopefully it'll give me an excuse to buy a high-flow cat. :)  Not so sure I'm (ie, the girlfriend) ready to spend $$ on aftermarket headers & turbo setup, but that sure would be nice.

Thanks for the info guys -- I'll have to squeeze my hand down there and check out the post O2 sensor, the pre seems fine and didn't suffer an impact. I might make a trip down to Bombay today while the sun is up and check it out.

urq20v -- I just sent you a private message about a VAG tool. Would be useful to have in my bag of tricks. I'm still working on rebuilding my tool set.

C

beeker

Quote from: csmende on January 23, 2005, 02:32:29 PM
Hopefully it'll give me an excuse to buy a high-flow cat. :)? Not so sure I'm (ie, the girlfriend) ready to spend $$ on aftermarket headers & turbo setup, but that sure would be nice.

Thanks for the info guys -- I'll have to squeeze my hand down there and check out the post O2 sensor, the pre seems fine and didn't suffer an impact. I might make a trip down to Bombay today while the sun is up and check it out.

urq20v -- I just sent you a private message about a VAG tool. Would be useful to have in my bag of tricks. I'm still working on rebuilding my tool set.

C

I wouldn't hi flow cat it unless you also plan a remap.
14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

csmende

First, nice to meet you Rex! Had a great time looking at your beautiful collection of Audis and thanks for being available short notice for the vag-com tool!

I checked all around with mirror & a flashlight yesterday afternoon and could find no crushed or dislocated sensors, but firing it up while still cool allowed me to get my hands on the pipes and I found a leak at the top of the pipe that runs back from the flex/pipe flange. I got the A4 back to Auckland after reading the codes this morning, and it's in the shop to get a spot-weld done.

Turns out to be no big deal, but the error I read from the ECU I don't know if I like:

16989 - Internal Control Module: ROM Error  P0605 - 35-00 - -

The car was chipped before my purchasing it. I'll have to get under the hood and see if I can determine who's chip it is.

Thanks for all the suggestions & help -- hope to see you at a VASK event soon!

C

csmende

Howdy -- yep, just checked after returning from the pipe shop, and the code has returned, and I'm not so sure the rough running ever really dissapeared. But the exhaust is cleaned up and I'm happy with that part.

It almost seems like it's running on 3 cylinders minus the incredible loss of power and belching. Exhaust is clean, it idles pretty spot on, but it's awfully rumbly, weak and rough.

I'll pop the cover and see what I can find RE the chip. Probably get to that shortly after work today.

C

csmende

Looks like a Neuspeed P-Chip, T6K03.

There's a dealer by the name of Suspension Progress Limited in Pakuranga. In the States Neuspeed is great with replacements, etc.

Question is do I want to stick with Neuspeed versus another option. In my opinion there are better choices out there.

C

cy

csmende

After some research I decided to check out the ignition packs, sparkplugs and "ignition amplifier."

Following a tech procedure here http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/1594531.phtml I determined the circuit for cyl 2 is bad.

Time for a parts run tomorrow & another startup!

C

csmende

It looks to be the ingition amp, actually. Fingers crossed the local dealer has one in stock!

* I pulled the old one apart, and sure as heck the circuit for cyl 2 was disconnected. I might try soldering it up to just ensure the problem is gone before ordering a replacement. More fun tomorrow!

I'm excited to get back on the road.

csmende

Hi All -- got it sorted a day or so ago.

Definitely a bad ingnition amplifier (these parts seem to have multiple names) 4D0 905 351. I got the HUCO replacement part out of the States for $225NZ shipped, after the Audi parts counter here asked for $738!!

Aside from the customs backup over Auckland Anniversary, I didn't mind waiting... and now everything is running like a top again.

I sure wish the ECU had been able to do more than fail a self-test when this happened. Oh well! :)

Christopher

spooln

I got the HUCO replacement part out of the States for $225NZ shipped, after the Audi parts counter here asked for $738!!

Bring on parallel imported Audi Parts!
77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

OOOO

Quote from: spooln on February 06, 2005, 12:01:52 PM
Bring on parallel imported Audi Parts!

You'd think it would be worth a crack at it.
2014 Audi A8 4.2TDI
2013 VW Golf 2.0TDI
2009 Audi A3 quattro

csmende

It is kinda strange -- but for some parts it would sure be worth it. Others though, such as lenses and ignition switches (which I've had to buy) have been almost one-for-one dollarwise. $107 in the States, and $107 here.

:P