What to do with a 1996 A6 avant quattro?

Started by Deagle, July 29, 2013, 03:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deagle

Hi all,

As the title suggests: I have an 1996 A6 avant quattro (2.6) with 280,000(ish)k's.

Unfortunately one of the gaskets has given way and the oil is mixing with the coolant. The service yard it was taken to was quoting more than its worth to replace the entire engine..

And my situation is that I no longer need the car anyway (even if it was working).

The easy option that I'm looking at is sending the car to the wreckers $500?

But before I do that, is there anything worth salvaging or parting out for anyone (here or otherwise)?

Andy_007

Quote from: Deagle on July 29, 2013, 03:55:45 PM
Hi all,

As the title suggests: I have an 1996 A6 avant quattro (2.6) with 280,000(ish)k's.

Unfortunately one of the gaskets has given way and the oil is mixing with the coolant. The service yard it was taken to was quoting more than its worth to replace the entire engine..

And my situation is that I no longer need the car anyway (even if it was working).

The easy option that I'm looking at is sending the car to the wreckers $500?

But before I do that, is there anything worth salvaging or parting out for anyone (here or otherwise)?

What interior does it have, leather seats etc ?
2007 Audii A4 Quattro 3.0TDI

slowburn

i'd be keen on the pedal box and pedals and clutch M/C and  cable too please,basically all you'd need to do a auto to manual swap on the same car as yours but is auto

can anyone else think of anything that would help in this swap that i may need off this donor?

cheers
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

UKRSKiwi

Computer?

You may have traction control issues when switching from Auto to Manual.

B7 RS4
MRC Stage 2 map
MRC Stage 2 Induction Manifold
Milltek Exhaust and 100 Cell DP's
ITG Panel Filter
Short Shifter
CAF

450ps proven.

Deagle

Hey! thanks for the replies!

Quote from: Andy_007 on July 29, 2013, 10:50:10 PM
What interior does it have, leather seats etc ?

The interior is fabric, worn but not ripped or anything like that, but still fabric so probably not worth very much.

Quote from: slowburn on July 30, 2013, 08:13:55 AM
i'd be keen on the pedal box and pedals and clutch M/C and  cable too please,basically all you'd need to do a auto to manual swap on the same car as yours but is auto

can anyone else think of anything that would help in this swap that i may need off this donor?

cheers

Ill keep that in mind, I'm just trying to explore some other options at the moment (like taking the dealership to court) considering I only drove the car for half a tank..

But if that goes south, the cars in Hamilton.

Deagle

Just a heads up, i am still deciding whether to take it to court, and I dont have access to the car at the moment.

But on the off-chance that anyone out there has Porsche 944 parts to trade...

BB

Did you recently buy it from a dealership?
How long does a oldish car like this get as a warrantee if bought from a yard? 3 months I would have thought but not more?
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

Deagle

Yeah from a dealership, through Trademe, In January, but it broke down a few weeks after i bought it (with hardly any use), so im going to try and get something done under the consumer guarantees act.

I havent done anything about it until now, ive been busy in Christchurch. But i'm about to start working with a proper job in another part of the country, so I'm not sure i can really be bothered to go through the court (and just take the loss :-\)