North Shore valver looking for same

Started by hartster, February 02, 2005, 07:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hartster

Greetings - is this a new forum? Are there any 16v MkIIs on the North Shore? I'm nearly finished rebuilding mine - 1987 - complete strip down body / engine / gearbox - all parts sourced from US - much cheaper! Looking to go on the track soon. Would like to get a look at a working 16valver to check on some wiring / vacuum stuff as my USA Bentley manual wiring diagrams not right for Wolfsburg made models.

Any one got a scrap 020 gearbox? Need some fifth gear locking tabs.

What about the VW gearshift adjustment gauge? Anyone seen one of those / know of a workshop with one (not a dealer!)

I've got the PC based VW workshop "Mitchell On Demand" system which is *&^%! excellent for all tuning / rebuild work. If anyone interested in copy, would be glad to oblige.

dubstar

Platinum VW spares has a couple of 020 boxes.  As for the tool:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1311779

Print it out and cut it into metal/thick card.

Have you rebuilt your car as a track day weapon or concours condition?  What do you mean by complete strip down?
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

hartster

Ta very much for the shift alignment hint - exactly what i needed. ;D

Car is a 'track day weapon'. Would like concours condition but will probably reserve that kind of effort for a MK1 - have found a red one in original knick that needs some work, but having difficulty getting owner to part with it. The MK2 car will get used a lot on gravel too so expecting a few dings along the way.

'Complete strip down': totally dismantled, inside and out. Complete suspension rebuild - subframes / control arm / sway bar bushes, shocks, strut mounts etc. New engine mounts, gbox shift, radiator. Block rebuild (rings, bearings, gaskets). Cleaned up the head but kept original cams and valves - chain is a bit noisy though. Might go to shrick cams if this one doesn't like 7000rpm all day.

Rossi

Your 16v wasn't jade metallic green was it?
2001 S4 Avant.
Corrado 16v - BR Motorsport ported KR 1.8l head with 284deg schrick cams, 9A 2.0l block, Milltek headers, K&N filter, 40mm lowered on PI springs/Boge shocks + VR6 strut mounts, front poly bushes, 280mm G60 front discs, 16" Porsche replica mags.

hartster

No - arctic white. Has had lots of owners thou (13) (was NZ new thru Continental Car Services). Wouldn't be surprised if someone in the forum has had it in the past. Someone who liked landing on top of large rocks judging by the sump and floor.

dubstar

If you're going to run it as a race car (7000rpm) did you get the bottom end balanced and blueprinted?
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

1.8t

Do you have a picture of your car? I checked out a 4 door, small bumper 16v a few months ago. Hight Ks (220,000?) but it had a perfect interior and nice body work.
Dudlee the 86 318i
Past.. 95 328i M Coupe, 97 Pug 306, 97 Vento

hartster

No - bottom end not balanced as it will only be occassional track day car - if it blows up then so be it. Have got a 9A 2.0l 16v motor that I'll prep for more serious work in the future. Want to put it in a good MK1 body if i can find one.

It's a 2-dr not a 4-dr and whilst the interior was good (it's out now in favour of aluminium tread plate floor) it did have some rust: firewall behind servo, windscreen bottom left and a hole around the bonnet release cable grommet where some pillock had filled it up with silicone which of course made it much worse. Anyway, all cut out and properly welded up now. Paintwork in good condition and original (small) bumpers and exterior trim all unmarked.

Period_Correct_

Nik [GOLFBOY666Gti] has a mint mk1 for sale....
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

bsting

Quote from: NasTnaS on February 03, 2005, 02:43:38 PM

And it drives just fine ( ta nik ) We all want it Baaaad.

RS ZWEI

Quote from: BSTING on February 03, 2005, 04:40:35 PM
Quote from: NasTnaS on February 03, 2005, 02:43:38 PM

And it drives just fine ( ta nik ) We all want it Baaaad.

No worries  ;)
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

hartster

RS ZWEI

Quote from: hartster on February 03, 2005, 05:07:14 PM
Nik - Which one on the http://www.quickclassics.2ya.com/ site is for sale?

Its not on there. Never got round to putting it on the site.

Heres a pic.

[attachment deleted by admin]
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

gfunk

hey hartster could you hook me up with a copy of that manual, there are no hard copy ones to be found down here anymore and it's bloody annoying.

The cam chain is really easy to do, makes it so much quieter, I'd say it's well worth doing, takes about 1.5 hours going very slowly.

hartster

Sure thing gfunk - have sent you email to your xtra address.

How 'bout some specs on that MK1 Nik?

bigbumper

Hey Hartster
Sounds like you're gonna end up with a nice Golf.? How about a photo?

I've also got a Mk2 16v (but I'm not on the Shore).? Where did you get your parts (esp engine mounts?).? Qualitat and Conti's both want circa $500 for the rear mount... seems bloody steep to me.

PS. Mine has no problem with 7000rpm+ on a regular basis!

hartster

Shame you're not up here - i am too thick / lazy to try and work out which way the vacuum pipes connect. would love to get a view of the KR 16v engine to see how.

My parts are all sourced from the USA. Very much cheaper, even with freight and import duty. Have a look at http://www.germanautoparts.com/ and you'll see what i mean.

From memory, i think i paid about NZ$40 for a new rear engine mount? Certainly wasn't much more that than. I also fitted a polyurethane insert, which this very afternoon i have just taken out cos it made the whole car vibrate like a bloody hovercraft.

photos of car to come when i find my digital camera. only one i have is attached...

hartster

er, earlier in the process. does anyone recognise the rego on this car?

hartster

having technical difficulties

RS ZWEI

Quote from: hartster on February 04, 2005, 08:42:28 AM
Sure thing gfunk - have sent you email to your xtra address.

How 'bout some specs on that MK1 Nik?

Im get some up tomorrow :)
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S