Started by brian, September 13, 2013, 07:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobClubley

"Everyone likes it, no-one buys it"
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

spooln

Wonder if they had kept a 6 speed manual in there if that would have helped
77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

rambo_005

I think the sportier niches are slowly going to be handed to VW and SEAT... GTIs and Cupras.

Makes sense really.

brian

I think it would have had wider appeal if it had the option of a proper gearbox
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

KF

What is this proper gearbox thing?

I have driven over 60,000km in the last eighteen months, the seven speed DSG in our Fabia is one of the best of all the G Boxs I have driven!! I will list them.

eight speed ZF auto 47000 Kilometers

seven speed DSG  about 10,000 kilometers

Various five and six speed manuals.

While the DSG is a #*$# if you have to backup hill slowly the only G Box that is better to drive is the ZF auto and that cost four times more!! The DSG contributes plenty to the great performance, feul economy and easy every day driving of our Fabia and every VW or Audi it is in. The next seris of nine and ten speed auto's may be better but the seven speed DSG is one of this decades best G Boxes!!

le mans

Hi, welcome - nice opening post! I think Brian is probably speaking in terms of 'driver interaction' - some of us just prefer that mechanical connection to the car. No denying modern gearboxes are a marvel of technology and engineering, but it's a step too far for some of us.

RS

Quote from: RobClubley on September 13, 2013, 09:51:36 PM

True.  There a lot of cars on the market like that, unfortunately in today's automotive economy there is less and less room for niche cars.

RS ZWEI

Quote from: RobClubley on September 13, 2013, 09:51:36 PM

I think the TDI 6 speed manual Fabia Mk1 was a great success and had quite a following. It had a point of difference to the Polo GTI it shared the chassis with - plus the grill and headlights made it look Lanciaish.

The Mk2 Fabia had the same engine and trans (DSG) as the new Polo GTI, though the Mk2 Fabia looks more Korean than European. That twin charger 1.4 doesnt seem to be a desirable engine either, and no manual trans . . . .
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

RS ZWEI

Quote from: KF on October 01, 2013, 08:56:59 PM

I have driven over 60,000km in the last eighteen months, the seven speed DSG in our Fabia is one of the best of all the G Boxs I have driven!! I will list them.

eight speed ZF auto 47000 Kilometers

seven speed DSG  about 10,000 kilometers

Various five and six speed manuals.

While the DSG is a #*$# if you have to backup hill slowly the only G Box that is better to drive is the ZF auto and that cost four times more!! The DSG contributes plenty to the great performance, feul economy and easy every day driving of our Fabia and every VW or Audi it is in. The next seris of nine and ten speed auto's may be better but the seven speed DSG is one of this decades best G Boxes!!

I think a manual still gives better fuel economy over a DSG, its just that the DSG is better calibrated for the industry standard testing than a manual. These tests arent real world though.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

GLIDN

Quote from: RS ZWEI on October 02, 2013, 11:36:24 AM
I think a manual still gives better fuel economy over a DSG, its just that the DSG is better calibrated for the industry standard testing than a manual. These tests arent real world though.

I'm going to compare my MK5 GTi's NZ new vs Jap import. On Manual and DSG.
However, I did notice for some reason the NZ-new cars seem to be more fuel efficient to the JAP imports.
Could the FSI head being clogged up on a JAP import in comparison to a NZ New?

My DSG equipped cars, always returned better fuel efficiency. Motor way or town driving.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

RS

Drive a double clutch hard and it will still drink as much fuel as a manual.

Quote from: KF on October 01, 2013, 08:56:59 PM

It's a gearbox with a foot operated clutch pedal and a H pattern selector, they are a rare option these days and mostly special order on most "performance" cars, some people still prefer them over automatics, it can be the difference between a car being good, and a car being excellent.

I can see a massive argument for double clutch and automated shifting and launch control etc, it is superior on many levels... some of us just prefer the agricultural, analog and somewhat tactile experience a manual gearbox offers.

There is also the argument of longevity and replacement costs.

brian

Encom

They should have left as a diesel. 2 litre unit from the Golf Vll 135 kilowatts (184 PS; 181 bhp) @ 4,000 rpm; 380 newton metres (280 lbf?ft) @ 1,750-3000 rpm.
2006 Black Skoda Fabia VR-s, Stage II MTM ECU, H&R springs, 17" MAK mags, angel eyes. 2005 1.9TDi Caddy Colour coded, TDi Motorsport chipped. 2005 T5 2.5 TDi Transporter, standard (at present) .  2005 Black Skoda Octavia VR-s - SOLD :(

Gordo

What sort of price differential is there between a manual and the DSG?
These are my thoughts and opinions - sometimes I'm wrong, but not often ;-)

brian

Don't think that manual was an option on the  VRS