Superchips

Started by boraV5, May 08, 2006, 07:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boraV5

Right... I now am superchipped and the increase is amazing. I can and will personally recommend these chips to anyone, and im happy to take anyone for a ride. You WILL be impressed.

hitmanGTI

I can vouch for that.. my car is effing quick now too.. :P

R32 Simon

Quote from: S3Quattro on May 08, 2006, 07:46:02 PM
Right... I now am superchipped and the increase is amazing. I can and will personally recommend these chips to anyone, and im happy to take anyone for a ride. You WILL be impressed.

All you need to do now is buy my miltek exhaust and cat replacement pipe and samco hoses to make it really quick  >:D >:D

boraV5

cao

Quote from: S3Quattro on May 08, 2006, 08:20:17 PM
How much?

Let the cycle begin.
There Is always something else  :)

R32 Simon

How does $1000 sound? Samco hoses were $800 (all 3), Cat replacement pipe $300 and miltek $1600. They are coming off my wife?s S3 this weekend, you really will notice faster throttle response and more power.

urq20v

Steve,how many other chips/remaps did you try before going with Superchips?What comparisons did you make to come to the conclusion that what you purchased was better than other similar product from other tuning companies?Antons statement that his remap was "violent" and caused his clutch to slip leads me to believe that this remap is pushing the limits of the K03 at low revs.IMO what you should be looking for in a remap is a nice progressive increase in power and not a "violent" increase in torque at low revs,especially with a little KO3 turbo.This is always a recipe for clutch and gearbox failure.

OOOO

Quote from: R32 Simon on May 09, 2006, 07:41:03 AM
How does $1000 sound? Samco hoses were $800 (all 3), Cat replacement pipe $300 and miltek $1600. They are coming off my wife?s S3 this weekend, you really will notice faster throttle response and more power.

What's happening to Deb's S3?
2014 Audi A8 4.2TDI
2013 VW Golf 2.0TDI
2009 Audi A3 quattro

hitmanGTI

Quote from: urq20v on May 09, 2006, 07:52:40 AM
Steve,how many other chips/remaps did you try before going with Superchips?What comparisons did you make to come to the conclusion that what you purchased was better than other similar product from other tuning companies?Antons statement that his remap was "violent" and caused his clutch to slip leads me to believe that this remap is pushing the limits of the K03 at low revs.IMO what you should be looking for in a remap is a nice progressive increase in power and not a "violent" increase in torque at low revs,especially with a little KO3 turbo.This is always a recipe for clutch and gearbox failure.

No my clutch was just shagged already rex  ;D

boraV5

Rex,
Basically downloaded the maps off the net and went through a few of them..
These included...
MTM, REVO, AMD, SUPERCHIPS, OETINGER.

As far as power (Torque and hp) superchips were higher hp and ever so slightly less torque (59hp 92NM Torque)

The main things for me was:

1) performance increase
2) driveability (as i do about 1000kms a week through work)
3) fuel economy
4) price
5) customer service

the above is not in any order.

will give you an update of fuel economy as i empty the tank, but its easy to drive serious performance increase, price was good, peter came to me and did it (took 15min), and he was friendly, prompt, easy to get along with (even my mum liked him lol).

Yes we can all debate saying one chip is better than the other, but for me i love it, and everyone that goes for a ride in my car gets out with a huge grin of their faces.

hitmanGTI

I contacted peter this morning about my Quick Boost problem.. he said no problem he will reflash the program with what ever variables i would like.. weather i want more boost less boost.. more fuel less fuel.. you name it he will do it.. for nothing.. untill you are satisfied with the remap he has done..

i wana rs6

Quote from: MK4 GTI on May 09, 2006, 10:10:59 AM
I contacted peter this morning about my Quick Boost problem.. he said no problem he will reflash the program with what ever variables i would like.. weather i want more boost less boost.. more fuel less fuel.. you name it he will do it.. for nothing.. untill you are satisfied with the remap he has done..
Good old fashioned customer service. Its hard to find people like that today.

hitmanGTI

I have herd from various users that they found AMD were shocking along the lines of late boosting from the turbo..

Remember my exhaust system is entirely free flow.. and since i installed it the turbo had always spooled too quickly after that..

Audi-man

The K04 kits and chips for circa $2,500 is all bull s**t because any 1.8T with over 220 ponies requires upgraded injectors and fuel pump to feed it. Buy the time you have allowed $1,000 to install the turbo and chip, I reckon you'd be budgeting over $5,000 for this exercise. Also as Cao and Anton can testify, you need to allow for a clutch too!

For this very reason, I took the advise of a primo car tuner and installed a manual boost control valve and gradually introduced the new ponies to see the effect on the car. So far, after chipping my car has never run better at 11psi, I now feel OK to take it up to 14 psi which is where the blown clutch brigade are!

Talking to Anton, I see he is looking at manual boost control valve too.

Buy the way the cheapest way to make your car go faster is to simply disconnect your manual boost control value. Under throttle you can dial up over 20 psi all day long!. The cost to do this is nothing!     

Is the clutch to same in a 1.8T Golf as the A4? I just want to know if this is a Golf thing, as no A4 owner has been unluckily enough to experience a slipping clutch after chipping.

Audi-man

This concerns me too.

With my limited knowledge, I 'feel' the wett chip is really good as it comes in progressively. You don't get the full wack until heading over 3000rpm. Its very smooth and progressive throughout the rev range, to the point you don't feel like the car has been tampered with.

Reading comments on other sites, I see some chips have flat spots and super-boost spots through the rev range. This would p*ss me off.

urq20v

Many "tuners" program a "wow factor" into their remap and dont care about the extra strain on the transmission and clutch.The only sure thing is,time will tell how good the code is regardless of what brand of remap you decide on.For me,a smooth,progressive increase in power and controllled torque below 3k rpm are the only way to ensure long engine,turbo and transmission life.If you get a huge lump of torque down low (like a diesel  ;D) then your top end will suffer.It will be all over at 5k-5.5k rpm.Since most boy racers (including those on VASK) want REVS (Antons anti diesel stand),a more progressive power/torque increase would give a more satisfying feeling.
My modified 20v urquattro never felt super fast,but I could pass EVOs and WRXs on the back straight at Puke!What I am saying is that it did not have "wow factor" tuning but was still fast.

OOOO

There are 3 posts dedicated to Superchips on this site. The cynic in me says someone is happy...
2014 Audi A8 4.2TDI
2013 VW Golf 2.0TDI
2009 Audi A3 quattro

boraV5

Quote from: OOOO on May 09, 2006, 07:31:51 PM
There are 3 posts dedicated to Superchips on this site. The cynic in me says someone is happy...

To be honest scott i CAN see why you have been a bit sceptical (spelling).. I am happy to come down to taupo one weekend and let you DRIVE the S3 and tell me your thoughts.

OOOO

Thanks Steve, bit difficult for me to know without a reference point of how it was before the remap. I'll wait for the dyno results on June 10 as a factual representation...unless you blow it up before then  ;D
2014 Audi A8 4.2TDI
2013 VW Golf 2.0TDI
2009 Audi A3 quattro

boraV5

lol.. please dont jinx me... :P

it will be interesting to see what its like on pukekohe this sat.