Superchips

Started by boraV5, May 08, 2006, 07:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunar7

Quote from: OOOO on May 09, 2006, 08:18:50 PM
Thanks Steve, bit difficult for me to know without a reference point of how it was before the remap. I'll wait for the dyno results on June 10 as a factual representation...unless you blow it up before then  ;D

Maybe I should bring my S3 along to the Dyno day as a base line ???

boraV5

are you 210hp or 225hp?

RS ZWEI

Quote from: Lunar7 on May 09, 2006, 08:22:58 PM

Sounds good Lunar7  :)
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

urq20v

Quote from: Lunar7 on May 09, 2006, 08:22:58 PM

Thats a good idea,but since you all have Haldex centre diffs on your S3s,the dyno results will be pretty much meaningless.Ask R32Simon to show you his dyno plot from the last dyno day.It was amazing to see the power graph do a loop as the Haldex switched drive front to back a few times during the run!Perhaps another chip in the Haldex controller will help.
At Pukekohe Chings S3,with the AmD chip,did around 1.15.At Taupo,on the short track,Audidude (Oettinger chip) and Chings S3s were very similar in straight line performance,maybe with the slight edge to Ching.Another point of reference would be eddyq.His car is APR tuned and is probably one of the quicker S3s around.He may have a dyno plot too look at for comparison.

cao

I thought I had read some where you could disable the Haldex by unplugging it or is this a bad idea?

Lunar7

hitmanGTI

Quote from: cao on May 09, 2006, 10:32:18 PM
I thought I had read some where you could disable the Haldex by unplugging it or is this a bad idea?

Probably..

As with Quattro Disconnection a Torque Sensor and disconnecting the Front Wheels to make a good drift car..

I know in skylines with HICAS (spelling?) (4wheel steering for those non jap lovers) you can disonecct it by pulling the fuse how ever if the steering is slightly off on the back wheels your car will be driving on a angle (lol)

if you can disconnect haldex i imagine it is a stupid move.. especially if your dynoing.. as the whole point of a dyno is to find your power at "the driven wheels" which on haldex is ALL of them..

hitmanGTI

Quote from: urq20v on May 09, 2006, 07:21:44 PM
Many "tuners" program a "wow factor" into their remap and dont care about the extra strain on the transmission and clutch.The only sure thing is,time will tell how good the code is regardless of what brand of remap you decide on.For me,a smooth,progressive increase in power and controllled torque below 3k rpm are the only way to ensure long engine,turbo and transmission life.If you get a huge lump of torque down low (like a diesel  ;D) then your top end will suffer.It will be all over at 5k-5.5k rpm.Since most boy racers (including those on VASK) want REVS (Antons anti diesel stand),a more progressive power/torque increase would give a more satisfying feeling.
My modified 20v urquattro never felt super fast,but I could pass EVOs and WRXs on the back straight at Puke!What I am saying is that it did not have "wow factor" tuning but was still fast.

My vehicle is operating as i imagined it would.. its fun..

R32 Simon

The Dyno results on my S3 like Rex says were pointless, I will bring it to work tomorrow and scan it in and post it, it peaked at 140 KW very strange readings indeed, I just hope the Haldex on the R32 works better on the Dyno, you can disconnect the rear wheels on the Haldex system but there are a few stories around about people doing this and causing major problems :'(

boraV5

Quote from: R32 Simon on May 10, 2006, 12:09:31 PM
The Dyno results on my S3 like Rex says were pointless, I will bring it to work tomorrow and scan it in and post it, it peaked at 140 KW very strange readings indeed, I just hope the Haldex on the R32 works better on the Dyno, you can disconnect the rear wheels on the Haldex system but there are a few stories around about people doing this and causing major problems :'(

So basically add 10% to the readings (well for hp anyway)
How bout torque... any idea what yours was reading?

vamr

Quote from: R32 Simon on May 10, 2006, 12:09:31 PM

Just can't be disconnected for too long.

hitmanGTI

well as Peter from super chips said.. the chip will adjust and adapt as its coupled with a Learning ECU

My car is beautiful to drive now.. the boost and power delivery is beautiful and smooth...  i still have clutch slipp issues but that is becaus of my clutch being stuffed..

Am i a happy and Satisfied customer.. yeserieee i am...!!!

boraV5

when i was on puke... the power delivery was silky smooth... was quite amazed as it really does adapt.

hitmanGTI

i heard it was quite smooth two when you were spinning around near taking out a wall  :P :P :P :P

Pristle

That was probably the bowel movement......

I'd suggest that the "adapting" you guys are experiencing is not so much the chip, but your own mode of driving.

Audi-man

To be fair it takes about 40kms for the ECU to learn a new programme. But I'd say these guys have done their 40kms by now!  :laugh:

hitmanGTI

Quote from: Audiman on May 15, 2006, 04:18:09 PM
To be fair it takes about 40kms for the ECU to learn a new programme. But I'd say these guys have done their 40kms by now!  :laugh:

It took over 4 tanks of gas for my car to adjust to the exhasut..

hmmm..

i did about 150 around pukekohe last saturday..

i thought it was more round 400kms for adapation...

Audi-man

Quote from: MK4 GTI on May 15, 2006, 04:21:29 PM
ii thought it was more round 400kms for adaption...

I'm no guru, might be 400km for some ECU's. I have read it was 40km in a few articles - refer that chipping one I posted under my 1.8t go faster thread. I reckon it took my car about 40kms to get sorted. Driving home felt a bit weird, but latter that night I went for a spin down the Western motorway and back. By the time I got home the car felt primo.

The improtant thing is your car is feeling all good now. Still looking to restrict boost using BCV, or are you over this now!

hitmanGTI

um im just driving hard in earlier gears it seems to avert the clutch slip problem in the higher gears... my car came really smooth in the last few day..

eddyg

Quote from: urq20v on May 09, 2006, 09:26:35 PM
Thats a good idea,but since you all have Haldex centre diffs on your S3s,the dyno results will be pretty much meaningless.Ask R32Simon to show you his dyno plot from the last dyno day.It was amazing to see the power graph do a loop as the Haldex switched drive front to back a few times during the run!Perhaps another chip in the Haldex controller will help.
At Pukekohe Chings S3,with the AmD chip,did around 1.15.At Taupo,on the short track,Audidude (Oettinger chip) and Chings S3s were very similar in straight line performance,maybe with the slight edge to Ching.Another point of reference would be eddyq.His car is APR tuned and is probably one of the quicker S3s around.He may have a dyno plot too look at for comparison.

When I had my S3 dyno'd they disconnected the Haldex, it was a 2WD dyno. They reckoned that was fine as long as you didn't drive on it. What it will do is disconnect the clutch in the haldex, which is fine, that's what is happening when cruising anyway. In theory the PreX haldex should help as it will kick in the rears based on throttle position as well as wheel slip. Given that the throttle is full open it should be a constant.

I had only had the APR chip done when I had the dyno, the dyno results made me get the FMIC (it was a hot day in Sydney, and that affected my results), and after that I got the Samco tunes and the APR exhaust.

So - what did it do? 142Kw at the wheels. They couldn't get a torque value, some problem with reading the revs from the computer.. I don't know.. pretty useless really. Glad it was part of a group deal. They also didn't direct the fans properly into the intercoolers.. quite fun watching the turbo glow first orange, red and then white hot.. I guess if I knew the gear ratios we could calculate the RPM from the speed. I never could be bothered myself.

Cheers, Ed.