W8 Passats - People bag them a lot, can anyone shed light on this?

Started by sifty, September 23, 2013, 07:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sifty

Ok, so I know that lots of people rag on the W8 Passat, but on paper it still seems like a great car.

I know that the oil filter screens on the supply to the cams is "too fine" and prone to blocking causing it to disintegrate and can cause some serious engine issues.  I've also heard the transmissions can crap out.

Does anyone have first hand experience with these issues and are they a good reason to avoid buying these cars forever?

Thanks,
Si.

RS ZWEI

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

spooln

Can other engines be fitted in as they have top spec everything...?
77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

GLIDN

Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

M

I have a NZ New W8 6 speed manual station wagon here and all the bits to do a VR6 swap with a suitably large turbo. Struggling for the time to be honest so am in the middle of readying the W8 to go back in.  :-\ :-\

W8 are ok, but the variator issue is a big one, but I haven't seen one in around 4 years now.... maybe all pretty much sorted already. Trans fault is the torque converter lockup clutch, engine out and torque converter overhaul($500ish), obviously not an issue on manual.
Silly little things like 02 Sensors are engine out to replace etc....

I have one at moment with map controlled thermostat fault..... $600+GST part and 4 hours to change, so there is $1000.

Decent cars when running right, nice and smooth and torquey, not what I would call "fast" though.
Too much power is almost enough.

RS

One of these with a Chevy LS would be awesome.

Also, I hear that they have awesome traction in the snow and are the vehicle of choice amongst professional driving instructors  :angel:

mattpassat

Yep, I just traded mine in. While owning I had the cam adjuster issue, which was repaired under warranty. If its taken to the right people its not that bigger deal, can be repaired without removing engine. Mine was done in a day.  I really loved the car, I did the exhaust and lowered it. Its a heavy car though and slow transmission . I feel the vw build wasnt up to spec to many cheap parts wear out, suspension wears quickly also bushes etc. Let me know if you have any questions.
I do miss the 4 wheel drive

I changed to bmw 335i m sport wagon

Cheers Matt

BB

Apparently several shops have dropped the little collets or whatever they are called into the motor like on Noj one. OUCH.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

Robb46

I have a W8 and yes the cam timing adjustment valves started to became a problem, when the filter disintegrated. As soon as the problem started I stopped driving the car, this saved lots of damage. The mechanics were able to remove all the valves clean them out and flush the engine, $600, got away with it.

This car is now going better than ever, it has more power and is more economic to run. Got to love that.

I still love the W8 for what it is and what it will be in the future.
2004 Passat SW W8 Love It

5-pot

?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 1990 Coupe quattro - R.I.P.
- 1988 90 quattro project... Sold
- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

GorGasm

The problem is that the Audi/BMW equivalents are better vehicles, especially the 540i.