1996 Audi RS2 Brilliant Black

Started by le mans, November 03, 2013, 12:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weta.worker

Nice!  Awesome work on the ECU and great pics :D
1994 RS2 GUARDS RED
2001 RS4 NOGARO BLUE

le mans

Thanks guys, always good to get some feedback  :). Ash to answer your question, no not as such. There have been a few posts about various things I've done with it but I don't have a thread all tied together like this one for the B5. I have been thinking about getting my act together on that. I'm away from home this week, so ironically I'll probably be able to find the time to start it! The B5 has been a bit of an adventure at times too!

le mans

One of the very marginal benefits of doing shift work is having to drive around in the middle of the night some times, which means hardly any traffic. This is a log I pulled off the ECU - 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear pull (not launched - I never launch it). The ECU has on-board logging, which is pretty cool.

The car is going really well - hitting target boost almost perfectly every time. You can see the 'lag' in the time it takes to hit full boost it 1st gear - just on 2 seconds from full throttle. Like they say in the PH article - the RS2 still feels properly fast even by modern standards, but it's got an old school turbo feel about it's power delivery. Would like to get the cold start and warm up tweaked, but it's good enough. Would also like wideband O2 so I can log the mixture as well. In an ideal world I'd rather have it running perfectly on a factory ECU, but seeing the ongoing tail chasing to find lost boost that often goes on with that, I have to say I'm very happy with what I've got. The Link is pretty simple in terms of sensor requirements, which makes it very robust and reliable. The flexibility for logging and tweaking just appeals to my inner geek I suppose. I don't feel any need to turn up the boost (which I would do professionally with a reputable tuner if I did) as it's already very strong and there's no point to spin the turbo faster if it's not necessary. I have to say Porsche got it right with this car. I think the B5 RS4 would have benefitted hugely from an extra couple of PSI and foregoing the very flat torque curve that makes it feel normally aspirated on the factory tune.

RS ZWEI

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

le mans

The RS2 had a birthday of sorts, one day before my daughter's 1st birthday:

Any guesses on the location/road?

As much as I love the stance on the H&R springs I'm going to put the original springs back in. Just not enough compliance for the roads I like to use. The KWs were good though so I'm still  >:( about the LVVTAs position on them.

RS ZWEI

Quote from: le mans on July 20, 2016, 09:55:53 AM
The RS2 had a birthday of sorts, one day before my daughter's 1st birthday:

As much as I love the stance on the H&R springs I'm going to put the original springs back in. Just not enough compliance for the roads I like to use. The KWs were good though so I'm still  >:( about the LVVTAs position on them.

Does it bottom out Jon?
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

le mans

Quote from: RS ZWEI on July 20, 2016, 10:01:36 AM
Does it bottom out Jon?
It does hit the bump stops on the front if it's a sharp bump. Edit: actually I don't think it's hitting the bump stops (just drove back home today), it just transmits sharp bumps through to the steering wheel. I think I set the dampers too soft for the springs too, and the only way to adjust them is to remove the suspension. I guess I could try that first and see how it goes. It's good on small undulations and bumps - soaks them up and keeps the car stable.

Audidude

[/quote]

SH3  north of New Plymouth?
'90 Audi ur quattro 20v Tornado Red
'15 VW Amarok Highline 4Motion auto
'99 BMW M5 E39 (For Sale, see TM)
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM K20A - Circuit race car
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM, Championship White
'15 Renault Megane 265 RS, Capsicum Red
'03 Porsche 911 996.2 C2, Black, full leather interior

le mans

Te-Aroha-Gordon Road, near the middle of this map: https://www.google.co.nz/maps/@-37.6629149,175.808062,12z We usually stop off at Te Aroha for lunch on the way to the BOP.

John Stone

Quote from: le mans on August 04, 2016, 09:31:31 AM
Te-Aroha-Gordon Road, near the middle of this map: https://www.google.co.nz/maps/@-37.6629149,175.808062,12z We usually stop off at Te Aroha for lunch on the way to the BOP.

Love that road - used to go to Vegas that way when the inlaws lived in Te Aroha
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

Pushbutton_auto

one of my spiritual roads, remember to pay your dues ...    8)
Beating up parking wardens ain't a crime.

le mans

Got the car back from service with Brodie European today. New factory RS2 cam belt, auxiliary belts etc and factory RS2 water pump. She's running like a swiss watch!

Filx

Track day, December 17th at HD......... Just sayin'  8)

Quote from: le mans on December 07, 2016, 07:14:06 PM
Got the car back from service with Brodie European today. New factory RS2 cam belt, auxiliary belts etc and factory RS2 water pump. She's running like a swiss watch!
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

RS ZWEI

Have you noticed a difference?
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

le mans

Forgot to mention also has a new alternator. I've only driven home from the workshop but it seemed to run smoother at idle and initial pick up from idle felt crisper. Probably just less resistance with the new belts and ancillaries.

Phil: track day sounds like fun, but have a family commitment that day.

weta.worker

Yaye!

I just had new discs and pads all round before the Xmas trip up north.  Ouch...  But hopefully that'll see me right for a few years...
1994 RS2 GUARDS RED
2001 RS4 NOGARO BLUE

le mans

She's not holding full boost at the moment. Going back in shortly to check for leaks. Could also be a failed cat in the exhaust?

89 Coupe

Could be, that's what happened to mine when boost dropped off
1991 BMW E34 535i | 1989 Nissan Skyline R32 | 1993 Nissan Skyline R33 Coupe | 1989 Audi Coupe Quattro | 1996 Audi UrS6 | 1994 BMW E34 540i Touring | 1995 Audi 80 Quattro Avant | 1993 Audi UrS4 Avant | 1999 Audi S4 | 2009 Audi S8 | 1995 Toyota Cresta JZX90

le mans

Would be a good excuse for a decat if that's the problem.

robh

Not quite the same vehicle but my old T4 van wouldn't make full boost, spent ages fiddling around trying to work it out.

Ended up being a collapsed cat in exhaust.
Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"