1996 Audi RS2 Brilliant Black

Started by le mans, November 03, 2013, 12:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weta.worker

20th Feb quote from Audi for gearknob was 450 (the gearknob is RS2 specific)

and this is the one I ended up getting from overseas

www.online-teile.com/vw/product_info.php?info=p92502006_puffer-8a0711133.html

which equals about 230 NZD

my bro lives in the UK so I got it sent to him and he flicked to me

things i've sourced so far

replacement rs2 gearbox (dismantled and checked twice...hahahahaha - oh god.... from the UK)
clutch kit (audi)
new condensor (from UK)
new gearknob (from germany)
replacement boot cover (same as other audis - Wainui parts place - sweeeet!)
new boot gas stuts (audi)
new accelerator pedal (audi)
new engine speed sensor (audi)
new rs2 badges front and rear (gift from another vask member!  so good!)

and I've probably forgotten to list some stuff (or my therapist has wiped them from my mind in order for me to carry on :P )

and I've still got more things to do

if there is anything you want me to do , pics , info etc , just sing out , I'd be more than happy to what I can.  although my car is a bit of a freak so comparing anything to this one may just create more confusion (lets not get started on chassis numbers!)!

:)

1994 RS2 GUARDS RED
2001 RS4 NOGARO BLUE

le mans

Quote from: RS ZWEI on November 04, 2013, 07:37:02 AM
Oh, and I guess you know it has the wrong gear knob?
Yep - from the VW I was told.

le mans

Quote from: RS ZWEI on November 04, 2013, 07:34:04 AM

To answer a couple of questions:

I not sure if a standard Audi 80 has two radiator (I wouldnt think so, but a 5 cylinder may do?)

I dont know about the DV.

The injectors look the same to me (green in colour).

You are right, the coolant should be pink, G12 or whatever its called?

Also, do you have the Porsche/Audi hand book?
Thanks, yes I have the hand book. I also downloaded the maintenance manual (Audi 80) and the repair manual (RS2) from erwin.

Qualitat just quoted $1100 for genuine radiator sourced through EMD. They think they can get one for $550 ex USA (not genuine). It's the same radiator as the Audi 80, but the 80 doesn't have the secondary radiator like the RS2. Also the previous owner has already replaced that secondary radiator - looks like new.

Your fusebox looks similar to mine then! Yes I have the cover too, I'll have a gander.

RS ZWEI

Quote from: le mans on November 04, 2013, 12:57:00 PM
Thanks, yes I have the hand book. I also downloaded the maintenance manual (Audi 80) and the repair manual (RS2) from erwin.

Qualitat just quoted $1100 for genuine radiator sourced through EMD. They think they can get one for $550 ex USA (not genuine). It's the same radiator as the Audi 80, but the 80 doesn't have the secondary radiator like the RS2. Also the previous owner has already replaced that secondary radiator - looks like new.

Your fusebox looks similar to mine then! Yes I have the cover too, I'll have a gander.

The only thing that could have been added to my fuse box could be a fuse for the jammers?

I was thinking about the wheels, RS2's have a set of 5 full size wheels so why didnt the just owner put the spare on the car?
Also have the fog lights had a tint film put on them or are they a proper aftermarket unit?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

wilco

Jon, nice buy.
The small secondary radiator in the front was standard on the 5-cyl quattro coupes of that era. Pretty sure I had mine repaired for very little, may have even re-cored it.  Wouldn't bother to go new.

W.

le mans

Quote from: RS ZWEI on November 04, 2013, 01:23:57 PM
The only thing that could have been added to my fuse box could be a fuse for the jammers?

I was thinking about the wheels, RS2's have a set of 5 full size wheels so why didnt the just owner put the spare on the car?
Also have the fog lights had a tint film put on them or are they a proper aftermarket unit?
I was told the side lights were smoked aftermarket units.

One of the 5 wheels is bent and another has been a bit messed up due to a seized nut that was cut off - I remember Ocular mentioning it. The previous owner said the wheels on the car just came up by chance and they fit (just) so I think he thought to give them a try. They are off a V6 Cayenne or something?

le mans

Quote from: wilco on November 04, 2013, 02:08:04 PM
Jon, nice buy.
The small secondary radiator in the front was standard on the 5-cyl quattro coupes of that era. Pretty sure I had mine repaired for very little, may have even re-cored it.  Wouldn't bother to go new.

W.
Thanks for the info. A friend has told me about Pakuranga Radiators (now located in Howick). Anyone have any experience with them?

By the way I got my wires crossed before. The leaking radiator on my car is around $600 genuine sourced from EMD. It looks like the more expensive one has already been replaced thankfully.

Oh and previous owner tells me the original gear knob has been biffed.

td19

Congratulations on your acquisition, lots of driving fun ahead! ... I believe that car has some of my old wheel nuts on it.

Quote from: RS ZWEI on November 04, 2013, 07:37:02 AM
Oh, and I guess you know it has the wrong gear knob?

... here is a brand-new one, purchased from the UK several years ago and now sadly not to be used by me:

Part number is 893863279. PM me if interested. I also have an RS2 'Workshop Manual' and 'Motronic Ignition Manual', both pdf files, that might be of use.

Filx

Quote from: le mans on November 03, 2013, 10:22:45 PM
Time will tell lol. It's apparently running stock boost at the moment (20 PSI tapering to 16?). I will try and get all the niggles sorted and drive it as is before I decide whether or not to turn up the wick. I've only done 25km in the thing so far! I might see if I can get it on the dyno on the 30th. Bit tricky as I'm working. My boy loves to see the cars on the dyno so maybe his mum will bring him along  ;)

Aaargh, you just gotta go nuts on this car - it's gagging for it!!!
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

le mans

Quote from: Filx on November 04, 2013, 05:38:43 PM
Aaargh, you just gotta go nuts on this car - it's gagging for it!!!
Steady on there fella ;)

Would be rude not to though hey, especially with that ECU making it so much easier to fettle.

M

Nice one!!

And I agree, tune the sh!t out of it.  ;D
Too much power is almost enough.

le mans

Managed to get the right software for the Link ECU. Looks interesting. The ECU fitted is called Link G4 Extreme Pro.

We had our first decent drive yesterday. Car feels so solid. Front end is a bit soft/bouncy - suspect new shocks needed. Bilstein Sports recommended? Car has no rattles apart from a small one from the glovebox door when idling. There is a slight shudder through the steering at motorway speeds. Something to look into.

My thanks to Tony for the new shifter boot, looks good!

le mans

Had a dig around the engine bay. Decided to remove the aftermarket blow off/diverter valve as I found a factory original one off the RS4 that was in the shed and was holding vacuum. Quite a tricky job in the end.

RS ZWEI

Did you take the light out to change the DV?

Wish I knew Tony had that knob, I would have jumped at that.
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

Filx

Quote from: le mans on November 11, 2013, 04:46:53 PM
We had our first decent drive yesterday. Car feels so solid. Front end is a bit soft/bouncy - suspect new shocks needed. Bilstein Sports recommended?

Maybe check out the 2Bennet stuff - http://www.2bennett.com/Audi%20RS2.html Some good looking items here.
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

RS ZWEI

Quote from: le mans on November 11, 2013, 04:46:53 PM
Managed to get the right software for the Link ECU. Looks interesting. The ECU fitted is called Link G4 Extreme Pro.

We had our first decent drive yesterday. Car feels so solid. Front end is a bit soft/bouncy - suspect new shocks needed. Bilstein Sports recommended? Car has no rattles apart from a small one from the glovebox door when idling. There is a slight shudder through the steering at motorway speeds. Something to look into.

I got my Bilsteins from Speed.co.nz, MJH got his Bodge (factory) from them as well.
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

le mans

Quote from: RS ZWEI on November 11, 2013, 05:11:21 PM
Did you take the light out to change the DV?

Wish I knew Tony had that knob, I would have jumped at that.
Ha, yeah that would have been easier than the way I did it!

Sorry about the gear knob - Tony did say someone else had asked if it was available. Amazing what people keep tucked in their garages. Hopefully another one can be sourced from somewhere for you.

le mans

Quote from: RS ZWEI on November 11, 2013, 05:58:58 PM
I got my Bilsteins from Speed.co.nz, MJH got his Bodge (factory) from them as well.
Thanks, you rate the bilsteins highly? The PSS9s on my RS4 are brilliant.

le mans

Quote from: Filx on November 11, 2013, 05:13:04 PM
Maybe check out the 2Bennet stuff - http://www.2bennett.com/Audi%20RS2.html Some good looking items here.

Thanks for the tip. You have any experience with the koni stuff?