1996 Audi RS2 Brilliant Black

Started by le mans, November 03, 2013, 12:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

le mans

Well I bought it on Friday 1/11/2013  :D

Just a quick post, I will add more detail later. Seems the past two owners have cared for it well. Ocular spent at least $4000 on it when he had it. Last owner has done cam belt, front brakes, alternator, suspension top mounts and wheels. The reason for the non-standard wheels is one of the orginals is slightly bent. It has quite new GY GDS3 tyres all around. I have the originals so that's something to sort at some stage. The car drives beautifully and the engine is silky smooth. The gear box feels spot on. I think a radiator might be on the way out though.

It has an aftermarket diverter valve so I want to check that out some time and make sure it is working properly. Apart from that it has an aftermarket radio - I don't like the look of it but it has MP3 input so will see how it goes. And of course in has a Link G4 ECU. Fogs and park lights are also aftermarket. Apart from that it appears standard and seems a very honest car. I believe it's the only 1996 model year RS2 in NZ. Service history is very patchy but will contact Giltraps at some stage to see what they have on it. It seems it may have spent much of it's life in Taranaki.

Anyway, I'm like a kid in a candy store at the moment. Plans are to drive it regularly and look after it as best I can. The existing fleet will remain. Very excited but lots to learn!

Specs:

le mans

Pics:

le mans

Original wheels:

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

slowburn

dope,was hoping this would make it into the fold on here somewhere......well done
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

beeker

14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

weta.worker

1994 RS2 GUARDS RED
2001 RS4 NOGARO BLUE

RS ZWEI

Awesome Jon, well done! Good to have another RS2 on the forum.
Two MY1996 RS2's were sold new in NZ, though the other one (RS Blue) was exported to OZ.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

ritmo

Nice... I went on tm to see if it sold. It had obviously.  Good price

Filx

Fantastic - another RS2 / RS4 combo owner on the forum!
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

mjh

le mans

Thanks fellas  :)

Ok, so radiator is leaking when warm. Is this a standard Audi 80 unit?

Diverter valve. Is it forge?

Fuse box. Seems a couple might be missing? The cigarette lighter doesn't seem to have power (for my portable vacuum cleaner)

I believe it has uprated injectors. The previous owner also changed all the coil packs.

I'm used to seeing pink coolant additive. Is this the wrong spec?

Few drops of fluid (hydraulic?) under front left of car from sitting overnight:
[

Looks like something down here too:

Rear luggage cover is in a bad state:

Aftermarket radio:

le mans

2+2 vcds connector. I knew it would come in handy one day:

Only 1 fault stored - suspect due to battery being disconnected at some stage. Didn't return after clearing:

I haven't been able to communicate with the G4 ECU yet. The first app I downloaded said the ECU was too old, and the old version of the app I downloaded after said the software was too old  :-\ Any ideas? I believe the ECU is a G4 of some sort. Access looks a bit tricky - up behind the clove box somewhere.

weta.worker

1994 RS2 GUARDS RED
2001 RS4 NOGARO BLUE

le mans

A couple of other minor things. The engine under tray is not fitted. It has a bit of a crack in it but not too bad otherwise. Will probably re-fit at some stage but not a biggie. A nice little bonus is remote central locking, which was fitted by a previous owner.

The paint work looks its age despite the pics (pics always bring out the best in a car's paint don't they). Will see if Gordon (final touch) would like to have a crack at it some time soon. Also plan to get the car serviced as last oil change was around a year ago and want to get it thoroughly checked over before I drive it too much. It did fly through a VTNZ WOF last Friday which is saying something!

Filx

What's your plans for it? Keep it stock or lean on it a bit?  >:D
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

le mans

Quote from: Filx on November 03, 2013, 09:56:21 PM
What's your plans for it? Keep it stock or lean on it a bit?  >:D
Time will tell lol. It's apparently running stock boost at the moment (20 PSI tapering to 16?). I will try and get all the niggles sorted and drive it as is before I decide whether or not to turn up the wick. I've only done 25km in the thing so far! I might see if I can get it on the dyno on the 30th. Bit tricky as I'm working. My boy loves to see the cars on the dyno so maybe his mum will bring him along  ;)

RS ZWEI

Jon, this is what my fuse box looks like:

Does yours have a sticker on the fuse box?

To answer a couple of questions:

I not sure if a standard Audi 80 has two radiator (I wouldnt think so, but a 5 cylinder may do?)

I dont know about the DV.

The injectors look the same to me (green in colour).

You are right, the coolant should be pink, G12 or whatever its called?

Also, do you have the Porsche/Audi hand book?
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

RS ZWEI

Oh, and I guess you know it has the wrong gear knob?
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S