1996 Audi RS2 Brilliant Black

Started by le mans, November 03, 2013, 12:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

le mans

Quote from: FFS on November 15, 2013, 11:30:17 PM
Mac DDBA. Boost control solenoid valve, according to a google search on the visible characters. So yep, N75 alternative.
Thanks, didn't think to do that :)

So that cut wire under the hydraulic reservoir - anyone got any ideas on that?

Filx

You might need a wiring diagram and check what that wire does. Do all the dashboard lights come/off on correctly? ABS light?
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

le mans

Quote from: Filx on November 16, 2013, 11:08:27 AM
You might need a wiring diagram and check what that wire does. Do all the dashboard lights come/off on correctly? ABS light?
Yes, the only thing that doesn't work is the fuel computer.

At some stage when I'm ready the car will go to Torque Performance and I'm sure they'll be able to help (being Link agents). Hopefully they can get a few more poneys out of it too.

le mans

Ok it appears to be boosting, it's just that I'm used to two smaller snails putting out 20psi attached to a Cosworth fettled  V6 with a light SMFW rather than one larger snail putting out 20psi attached to a Porsche fettled I5 and a very heavy (and bulletproof) DMFW!

I'm seriously impressed with the ECU logging and data presentation capabilities in the associated Link software. It took a while for me to work it out, but that's partly because of it's flexibility and complexity. The ECU can log data itself (100 pre-determined parameters) or you can log with the PC software. I went for the ECU option today for the ease of not having to have the laptop sitting in the passenger footwell. The ECU can log at up to 50hz (which is impressive!) but it has limited storage. No doubt the newer Link ECUs can store more. Here is the approximate storage capability of mine (depends on selected sample rate):

I selected 5hz.

I took the family to town and back today - so quite a bit of 80 - 100 kph stretches of road. A motorway onramp T2 lane gave opportunity to have a short 3rd gear WOT run. On the way home being at the front of a traffic light cue in an 80kph area gave an opportunity for a brief 1-2-3 WOT run.

On the 3rd gear WOT run from about 2000 rpm the turbo does get up to 20psi (1.4 bar) but not until 4200 rpm which does seem quite late to me but I'm not familiar with these machines. At the same time the boost ramps up the ignition timing is retarded quite a lot (which is probably what I'm feeling as a slight backing off).

With the logs below, bear in mind the boost pressure is absolute, so subtract 100 to get the figure you'd see on a boost gauge. The graphing capabilities of the Link software is very good and it's possible to completely customise what data is presented and how. Very impressed.

OK, so 3rd gear WOT run using RPM on the X axis (only to around 4500 rpm to avoid exceeding 100kph):

This one just shows the ignition advance against the same X axis:

This is a brief 1-2-3 WOT run with time on the X axis rather than RPM. I started with the engine just above idle and engaged the clutch normally before flooring it - so nothing aggressive:

So the car is definitely boosting to 20psi as requested by the ECU. I suspect it is running very conservative ignition timing which accounts for the slightly flat feeling I feel once the boost ramps up. Now I see 034 tune these turbos on the I5 to 27psi tapering to 19psi so I'm confident there is plenty of head room to safely push these a little harder. It's not on the immediate agenda but I'll be talking to the team a Torque some time about this. Here is a link to the 034 tuning info:
http://store.034motorsport.com/chip-tuning-package-rs2-stage-1.html

Finally the suspension, which I plan to sort before anything else. So I can tell the car was well set up by the Porsche gurus. It's solid and stable, but it's one part of the car that feels it's age. Cameron (Brodie European) tells me the bushes look OK so I'll start with the springs and dampers. I am looking into options now, and I think I've found a good one, albeit a bit pricey. My philosophy is do it once and do it right - I learned that lesson with the RS4 (ECU tuning!). So if all goes to plan there might be some very capable modern kit holding the car off the road in the not too distant future. Once that is done I'll look into the tuning side of things - nothing OTT, just some ECU tuning for now. If I end up with a $30,000 RS2 after all the improvements I'll be more than happy!

RS ZWEI

Jon, the Whiteline RARB seems to be popular with S2/RS2 owners.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

le mans

Quote from: RS ZWEI on November 17, 2013, 07:52:57 AM
Jon, the Whiteline RARB seems to be popular with S2/RS2 owners.
Thanks Nik, I had read about that. In fact one of the things I've learned about the B4 is that the rear suspension is the same as the B5. I thought of putting my RS4 rear ARB on (another thing that's in the shed!) but I think it might actually be the same diameter as the RS2 one anyway? I'm reasonably happy with the handling balance of the RS2, but it feels a little pitchy, especially under braking. This is why I'd like to start with shocks/springs. After I've done that I'll consider the ARB, but it may well not be necessary.

le mans

Whilst I quite like the Cayenne wheels the previous owner put on the RS2, after a couple of weeks of driving they feel very heavy and the 245s seem like too much rubber. Interestingly one of the OE wheels in the shed appears to have the factory original Dunlop Sport 8000 245/40x17 tyre fitted. My OE A4 wheels with 225/45x17 tyres are in the shed too and I did a quick side by side comparison.

RS2 OE wheel and tyre in the foreground, A4 OE wheel and tyre behind. As you can see the width and profile look very similar:

A4 on the left, RS2 on the right:

Anyway, four of the Porsche Cup RS2 wheels are in for a full strip, and refurb at Arrow Wheels. It isn't cheap for the full treatment but it's an RS2 and they are Porsche Cups, so I guess it's worth it. At 18 years old they probably have a few coats of paint on them by now. Should have wheels back mid next week.

And I picked up 4 Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2s in 225/45x17 at a cracking price. They are superb on the RS4 so no doubt they will be just as good on the RS2:

I've hopefully got some suspension on the way, might need to make a phone call tonight to check it's the right kit though. Is anyone aware of any changes to the suspension made during the production run of the RS2? That's the only thing that's got me a bit worried at the moment - that it won't fit!

Looks like I'm going to be slightly over budget on getting all the bits and pieces sorted, but I can see some light at the end of the tunnel and will gladly pull my head in soon and give my poor wallet a rest!

John Stone

Quote from: le mans on November 19, 2013, 04:31:41 PM
Looks like I'm going to be slightly over budget on getting all the bits and pieces sorted, but I can see some light at the end of the tunnel and will gladly pull my head in soon and give my poor wallet a rest!

Hahaha... I said that about 14 years ago with the quattro ::)
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

RS ZWEI

Awsome Jon.

Whats makes you think changes to the suspension made during the production run?
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

weta.worker

Quote from: John Stone on November 19, 2013, 08:33:31 PM
Hahaha... I said that about 14 years ago with the quattro ::)

and I keep hoping that there is an actual light and its not just a mirage!

1994 RS2 GUARDS RED
2001 RS4 NOGARO BLUE

Bullseye

Quote from: weta.worker on November 20, 2013, 06:38:26 AM
and I keep hoping that there is an actual light and its not just a mirage!

The light is from the glow of a big TURBO.

Great work, the car looked very nice at Brodies!
B8 A4 Avant - soon to be eating Chips

le mans

Got the wheels back from Arrow today  >:D

I'm not sure these will appeal to the purist but I think they look pretty special.

I'm looking forward to dropping the suspension 30mm or so as well as I think that will make quite a difference. The kit should be here next week but unfortunately that is now too late to get it certed this year. So alas I will probably wait until January to do it now.

Pics of the wheels:

On a more sombre note, I saw this in the driver's footwell this afternoon:

I did wash the car the other day and it hasn't been driven for a week or so (was protected from the heavy rain today so shouldn't be that). I have done a bit of a google and it seems a common problem but with various causes. Is this the most likely you think?: http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/92899.phtml

Edit: The Porsche cups with tyres weigh 4kg a corner less than the Cayenne wheels with tyres - so that's going to make a big difference to the way they car drives.

RS ZWEI

I quite like what a this Germany RS2 owner I know did with his wheels:

What suspension are you planning on using Jon?

That kink could be your water leak, though that does seem a fair bit of water.
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

le mans

QuoteWhat suspension are you planning on using Jon?
KW V3

RS ZWEI

1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

Filx

Quote from: le mans on December 05, 2013, 10:35:58 PM

On a more sombre note, I saw this in the driver's footwell this afternoon:

Welcome to old car ownership!  :) Water where it shouldn't be seems to be par for the course.

Wheels look really good - I'd love to see someone do some really nice aftermarket wheels for an RS2 in NZ, or bigger Porsche wheels for an OEM+ type look - but that's just me.

RS ZWEI

Jon, I hope you dont mind me putting these here.

Phil, Cup 1's look so good on an RS2, but if an opportunity came up Id look an doing something different, its just so expensive to get matching ET and width 5x130 wheels.

Here are a couple of my likes:

OZ wheels:

Not sure what these are:

1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

Filx

I hear what you're saying - I would argue it's not too difficult to find good wheels in 5x130 fitment, but you're right offsets aren't likely to be ideal for RS2s (assuming they're in the more normal +35ish range?).

Those OZ do look amazing and I think the bottom ones are Artec Turbo P's.

RS ZWEI

Quote from: Filx on December 06, 2013, 01:46:33 PM
I hear what you're saying - I would argue it's not too difficult to find good wheels in 5x130 fitment, but you're right offsets aren't likely to be ideal for RS2s (assuming they're in the more normal +35ish range?).

Those OZ do look amazing and I think the bottom ones are Artec Turbo P's.

RS2's are ET52. Interesting this is that RS2 Cup 1's are 7 inches wide, but S2 wheels are 7.5 inches wide.
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

le mans

Quote from: RS ZWEI on December 06, 2013, 02:52:39 PM
RS2's are ET52. Interesting this is that RS2 Cup 1's are 7 inches wide, but S2 wheels are 7.5 inches wide.
Same as the stock wheel width of our B5 A4. Bit skinny for a high performance car aren't they. I would like to run some light weight, wider 18s at some stage, but I'm more than happy with what I have for now.