Previous topic - Next topic

le mans

Stickman

Great looking car in black like that!
I like fast toys.

2016 Audi RS6 Performance
2007 Audi RS4

le mans

I've just completed a TFSI coil conversion on the RS2. This conversion eliminates the Power Output Stages and uses modern TFSI coils. It's plug and play (if you get a conversion harness) so no cutting of wires and completely reversible. I bought the harness from a company in Europe and the coils from Amazon. If anyone is interested in the harness I can point them in the right direction. They do a harness for the 2.7TT engine as well. I bought the coils recommended by 034 motorsport, 07K 905 715F, which are not the fancy red top coils but hey ho.

The goodies

After install

I've not driven the car yet, but it ticked over and revved very cleanly during the warm up cycle so that's a good sign! It would be quite nice to reinstall the stock coil cover but I will wait to make sure all is well with the current installation.

le mans

Been for a short drive just now. Subjectively the car is running smoother than before and doesn't labour as much when burbling along at low revs eg 6th gear 55kph. Did only one brief WOT in 2nd gear - super smooth acceleration and no hesitation. Looking foward to trying it in 3rd or 4th at some point (need 100kph limit for that though). So far I'd say well worth the change to TFSI coils. Will report further! Somewhat tempted to do the RS4 now. Mustn't get ahead of myself!

le mans

I very carefully removed the OE coils from the coil cover today:

Should be fairly straight forward to refit if I want to.

I rearranged the TFSI coils so that the wires routed nicely and I could pop the original coil cover back on:

All done:

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

RS ZWEI

Quote from: le mans on September 19, 2015, 12:45:59 PM
Been for a short drive just now. Subjectively the car is running smoother than before and doesn't labour as much when burbling along at low revs eg 6th gear 55kph. Did only one brief WOT in 2nd gear - super smooth acceleration and no hesitation. Looking foward to trying it in 3rd or 4th at some point (need 100kph limit for that though). So far I'd say well worth the change to TFSI coils. Will report further! Somewhat tempted to do the RS4 now. Mustn't get ahead of myself!

It will be interesting it see if you get anymore power? Also, is there a chase the fuel economy can improve?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

le mans

Latest addition :) Becker 7992 with Bluetooth. Bought brand new off Amazon.de. They are NLA but still a few floating around.

Just installed by Rapid Radio in Newton. Very progressional job. Happy!

RS ZWEI

Quote from: le mans on November 02, 2015, 01:19:45 PM
Latest addition :) Becker 7992 with Bluetooth. Bought brand new off Amazon.de. They are NLA but still a few floating around.

Just installed by Rapid Radio in Newton. Very progressional job. Happy!

Looks great Jon. Does it have a USB plug? A microphone?
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

le mans

Thanks Nik, I think it looks like a factory radio which is just what I wanted. Installer told me Becker make the best radios in the world so that's a plus!

Mic yes, so full hands free using the bluetooth connection to your phone. You can dial numbers using the head unit if you want to. iPod connection kit is an option but I don't have it unfortunately. Was hoping to pick one up. Haven't tried to stream music via bluetooth using the phone but will give it a try some time. It does read MP3 CDs so that's an option for having a reasonable selection of music on 1 or more discs. Pretty old school nowadays though.

Here are a couple of pics where I've tried to capture the good match with the car gauge lighting:

weta.worker

1994 RS2 GUARDS RED
2001 RS4 NOGARO BLUE

le mans

Thanks John :)

Just bought a 30 pin iPod connection kit from eBay for $15 incl shipping - Chinese obviously at that price, but worth a shot and better than faffing around with MP3 CDs.

M M

I like that radio. Suits it well.
Bought not built.

le mans

Car freshly serviced by Brodie European with new WOF for the summer :)

Factory fog lights fitted. I was planning to do it myself by the wiring for the connectors was beyond me. Turned out the bumper had been modified slightly for the aftermarket fogs which made getting the factory fogs to fit properly a real pain.

RS ZWEI

Quote from: le mans on December 23, 2015, 05:16:33 PM
Car freshly serviced by Brodie European with new WOF for the summer :)

Factory fog lights fitted. I was planning to do it myself by the wiring for the connectors was beyond me. Turned out the bumper had been modified slightly for the aftermarket fogs which made getting the factory fogs to fit properly a real pain.

Looking good Jon.
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

weta.worker

1994 RS2 GUARDS RED
2001 RS4 NOGARO BLUE

le mans

Just an update on the iPod connector. Good news - it works! It's a 'dumb' interface though so you can't control the iPod from the head unit. You can get Becker iPod interfaces that will do that, but relatively pricey so won't bother at this stage.

Quote from: le mans on November 03, 2015, 07:31:15 AM
Thanks John :)

Just bought a 30 pin iPod connection kit from eBay for $15 incl shipping - Chinese obviously at that price, but worth a shot and better than faffing around with MP3 CDs.

le mans

Warning, this is boring! After taking in some advice from a very experienced Audi tuner in Europe who is on s2forum, I decided last November to start re-tuning the boost control solenoid using the wastegate duty cycle map in the link ECU.

I started with low boost pressure, setting the maximum boost target to 0.5 bar of boost. I would take some logs and make adjustments until I was getting very close to boost target at full throttle. I also learned how intake air temps have a significant impact on boost pressure for a given boost solenoid setting and made adjustments there as well using a compensation map. The gear the car is in also impacts on the boost pressure achieved - maximum pressure occurs in 4th gear for a given boost solenoid duty cycle. Anyway, I moved onto higher pressures (0.8 bar, 1.0 bar, 1.1 bar, 1.2 bar, 1.3 bar and 1.4 bar). That took a few months of driving the car but fortunately all I needed could be achieved within the speed limit (just, ahem). I then returned the maximum boost target to 1.36 bar as tuned by STM.

Finally, I set up the closed loop boost control to allow the requested boost to be consistently achieved in any gear (1st is an exception as it won't quite hit full boost in 1st with maximum duty cycle). There are several variables in the Link ECU coding for this, but the main ones are: P=proportional gain and is proportional to the boost target error; I=integral gain and is proportional to the boost target error and time away from the target; and D=derivative gain and is proportional to the rate of change of error. Essentially P is used to help get to the target value and I is used to correct accumulated or sustained error. D is used to help prevent target overshoot. Closed loop boost control uses 3 phases. Phase 1 is applying 90% duty cycle to the boost solenoid during spool up until within a set amount of the boost target (mine is set at 0.5 bar). Phase 2 then begins which applies the P and D variables to the boost solenoid depending on error and rate of change until with 0.15 bar of the target. At that point a 0.3 second timer starts (this can also be varied to allow pressure to stabilise) at which point phase 3 boost control starts. This uses P and I to achieve and maintain the boost target. I played around extensively with the PID settings as they are called and ended up with the maximum value for P and 0 for D. I is working well at the typical value of 0.3.

The upshot is that the throttle response is great and the boost target is being achieved and maintained to within 0.5psi of the target pressure in all gears except for 1st.

The logging function of the Link is great (both on board ECU logging and PC logging are supported). Below are some screen grabs of spool up runs I did recently. The values on the right coincide with the position of the vertical yellow line. You can see the PID corrections to the boost solenoid at the bottom of the list.

2nd gear:

3rd gear:

No doubt there will be more small tweaks to come, but I think I've got the boost control on this thing pretty well nailed. And man this 5 pot engine is sublime when it's on boost.

le mans

A few recent snaps at home:

I don't think the Audi 80 avant is the prettiest car Audi has made by a long shot, but the RS2 looks quite special with all the Porsche touches.

Poonmobile

brilliant as always... is there a build thread for your B5?
Current:
06 NZ B7 RS4 Avus Silver, 01 NZ B5 RS4 Avus Silver, 93 NZ VR6 Tornado Red 3dr, Renault Clio 172 & Renault Clio 197
Past:
MK2 VR6, MK5 GTI, 2 x MK5 R32, 8L S3 Imola, MK4 Golf V6 4MO, Polo GTI, 2x MK3 VR6, D2 S8, B5 S4 Avant, 03 NZ R32 Deep Blue Pearl, Renault Megane R26 liquid yello