02 A4 wagon, non xenon to xenon

Started by The Truth, November 07, 2013, 01:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Truth

Ok, the old boy is having issues with a front left headlight assembly. Its a Jap spec, so non xenon, have had a quick chat with the guy on this auction:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=657519896

Will they work if I change both? or is there other hardware required? Gillies quoted $1500 for a replacement which is madness.

GLIDN

so are you wanting to fix the headlight issue?

or do you want to upgrade to Xenon headlights?
$1500 seems way to cheap to upgrade to Xenon.

Will need light connector/adaptor Halogen to Xenon
Headlight housing
Xenon Bulbs
Xenon Ignitors
Xenon Ballast

Most likely recoding as well. Also need to check legality in regards to headlight washers for the Xenon.
Lastly if you don't have all the correct wiring adapted, you will not be able to adjust the beam pattern on the xenon.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

The Truth

Just wanting to cheaply fix headlight issue. The FL indicator contact has melted and apparently that means the whole light assembly needs replacing. Just wondering if the set in the TM auction is a plug and play or if there is more required?

crap, just read that there are no ballasts included in that auction so I'm guessing thats a no go.

80 Vert

Forget it, not complete so useless for an upgrade.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

The Truth

Yep, figured as much. Have tried calling euroline, but haven't heard back yet. Any other suggestions for parts?

80 Vert

The Truth

I was told US spec wouldn't work being left hand drive? Part numbers are different from what I can see. Plus, I no speak Japanese if you're talking ebay.jp.

The Truth

This is a wild goose chase, can anyone confirm that a US spec light won't work?

80 Vert

I was meaning for parts to complete the other lights

Worms

Quote from: The Truth on November 08, 2013, 08:00:35 AM
I was told US spec wouldn't work being left hand drive? Part numbers are different from what I can see. Plus, I no speak Japanese if you're talking ebay.jp.

ebay.co.uk

I got a BMW E39 NEW complete GENUINE Xenon Retrofit kit (all parts required - new headlights, ballasts, etc, plus adds a more basic form of auto levelling) for about $900, shipped.

Oh yeah - you may be able to use aftermarket ballasts with the genuine lights too.

the phantom

Quote from: The Truth on November 09, 2013, 10:49:42 PM
This is a wild goose chase, can anyone confirm that a US spec light won't work?

it absolutely will not work, illegal in NZ because they drive on the other side of the road and the assymetric dip goes the wrong way,

my understanding is that only HID conversions using OEM components are acceptable in NZ, i.e. factory parts or nothing
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

The Truth

Quote from: 80 Vert on November 09, 2013, 11:13:12 PM
I was meaning for parts to complete the other lights

Thanks John, as in take the guts from a US spec set and put in the body of the set I have? I just want to get it done as cheaply as possible because the car will be moved on soon.

80 Vert

No, you mentioned the other lights had some parts missing?
Just look for those bits only, there's lots of xenon stuff on ebay and I've
bought ballasts and other random crap over the years.

The Truth

Gotcha. Will do some scouting whilst I should be working today.

watercooled

Find a smashed headlight ,cut and transplant that section into your melted light @ a pinch,you would find a replacement complete light on ebay uk.
These headlights are poorly made and cost a fortune new (genuine),don't imagine an aftermarket unit could be worse unless made in China.
1974 Porsche 914 with 2.2T 911 6cyl,
Audi a6 allroad 2007 3.0TDI stage 1 reflash ,
89 Corrado 2.0 16v, Stilauto RX 17in wheels,ABF on k/jet ,resto underway maybe up for sale ?,
2002 T4 transporter 2.5 TDI.

The Truth

Having trouble finding anything with matching numbers. Now, it turns out gillies gave me incorrect info and they are actually xenons. Now the problem is figuring out which lights will work. There are a million different part numbers and apparently (also giltraps info) some do and some don't interchange. How does one go about finding if a light will work, without buying and fitting of course? Is there a list of parts that interchange somewhere in the internets? Or do I need to stop damning around and just tell the old boy hes up for the $1500.