Babysitting

Started by sifty, November 26, 2013, 08:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sifty

Through good luck and really good friends, I'm babysitting this big German for a while.  8)

RS ZWEI

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

80 Vert

I LOVE 928's, the S2 I had years ago was awesome.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

the phantom

babysitting is fun, I looked after a friend's MK4 V5 manual for a couple of months
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

Poonmobile

I love 928's too! I'd love to come check it out sifty!
Current:
06 NZ B7 RS4 Avus Silver, 01 NZ B5 RS4 Avus Silver, 93 NZ VR6 Tornado Red 3dr, Renault Clio 172 & Renault Clio 197
Past:
MK2 VR6, MK5 GTI, 2 x MK5 R32, 8L S3 Imola, MK4 Golf V6 4MO, Polo GTI, 2x MK3 VR6, D2 S8, B5 S4 Avant, 03 NZ R32 Deep Blue Pearl, Renault Megane R26 liquid yello

sifty

Quote from: RS ZWEI on November 26, 2013, 08:38:35 PM
Nice, auto or manual?

Manual  :D and one of the first S4s.

It's been mostly parked up for a while so I'm sorting out a few little bits and pieces, like a window switch, some bits of trim that need to be reattached or straightened up.

I took it for a WOF on Monday so it's all street legal too.

sifty

Quote from: Poonmobile on November 27, 2013, 12:03:10 AM
I love 928's too! I'd love to come check it out sifty!

I was going to bring it to the meet on Sunday, but it worked out that was the day I picked it up and it didn't have a WOF.  I'll probably bring it to the next meet though, I'll be taking the opportunity to fix up a few things on my Golf while I have this to drive.

Oh, and I got to drive his 356 B for a little spin too. 

Gordo

Manual S4, don't get much better than that  8)
These are my thoughts and opinions - sometimes I'm wrong, but not often ;-)

spooln

Quote from: Gordo on November 28, 2013, 03:04:02 AM
Manual S4, don't get much better than that  8)

x2. Nice color to
77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

sifty

Quote from: spooln on November 28, 2013, 12:37:26 PM
x2. Nice color to

Isn't it though, probably one of my favourites after white. My brother used to have a white S2 Manual.

So far today I've used it for the kindy run in the rain up Old North Road :-)
And now I'm going to use it to take old clothes to the hospice shop and then go the supermarket.

I probably wouldn't use it for these things I we lived in the city though.  ;)

Neckarsulm

Manuals are damn hard to find these days, especially S4s.

schattenblau

rare indeed for good reason.
the autos were nicer to drive.
>:D

brian

Quote from: sifty on November 27, 2013, 08:25:32 AM
I was going to bring it to the meet on Sunday, but it worked out that was the day I picked it up and it didn't have a WOF.  I'll probably bring it to the next meet though, I'll be taking the opportunity to fix up a few things on my Golf while I have this to drive.

Oh, and I got to drive his 356 B for a little spin too.

Tell us the truth, what is a 356 really like to drive.
I know in their day there were pretty glowing reports and DSJ in particular waxed lyrical over his and the continental jaunts he undertook  to cover GP's of the era, but that was a very different world from today
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

sifty

Quote from: brian on December 16, 2013, 09:38:57 AM
Tell us the truth, what is a 356 really like to drive.
I know in their day there were pretty glowing reports and DSJ in particular waxed lyrical over his and the continental jaunts he undertook  to cover GP's of the era, but that was a very different world from today

It was like driving a sportier, more beautiful and better spec'd 1965 Beetle. I drove it long enough to see the attraction and the potential for fun, but not enough to get good at it. With the lack of power and odd feeling weight balance you really need to manage the inertia well to drive it quickly.
Brakes are good, but you have to work at it. Steering is precise but suspension is a bit wallowy. Engine is no powerhouse.

I loved driving it.  :D Big smiles.

sifty

Quote from: schattenblau on December 16, 2013, 08:59:17 AM
rare indeed for good reason.
the autos were nicer to drive.
>:D

Nicer? When I'm looking for a big brutal '80s German V8 sports car I'm not at all interested in "nicer". Nicer sounds boringer.  :P

brian

Quote from: sifty on December 16, 2013, 10:39:18 AM
It was like driving a sportier, more beautiful and better spec'd 1965 Beetle. I drove it long enough to see the attraction and the potential for fun, but not enough to get good at it. With the lack of power and odd feeling weight balance you really need to manage the inertia well to drive it quickly.
Brakes are good, but you have to work at it. Steering is precise but suspension is a bit wallowy. Engine is no powerhouse.

I loved driving it.  :D Big smiles.

Thank you for the report
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

schattenblau

Quote from: sifty on December 16, 2013, 10:41:07 AM

Nicer? When I'm looking for a big brutal '80s German V8 sports car I'm not at all interested in "nicer". Nicer sounds boringer.  :P

haha

The manual gearboxes were agricultural and quite contrary to the supposedly refined nature of the 928 (relative to the 911).

It wasn't only Bentley who made fast trucks.

;D

sifty

I would prefer to say the gearbox feels Manly rather than Agricultural.  :P
Hard work around town for sure!

sifty

With the new "daily" in the garage I think it'll be a while before the 928 is missed.

00quattro00

Quote from: schattenblau on December 16, 2013, 01:15:58 PM
haha

The manual gearboxes were agricultural and quite contrary to the supposedly refined nature of the 928 (relative to the 911).

It wasn't only Bentley who made fast trucks.

;D

They are an audi 01e, clunky but bullet proof
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t