$2k to spend.

Started by itsta, May 20, 2006, 10:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsta

Hi Guys. First post. Had my 98 golf gti manual for a week done 55k, slotted rotors, front strut brace the rest standard, extremely happy with my purchase. Got it for $17.5k from a dealer. And now....... i wanna make it go and sound as good as it looks. Dont get me wrong, i think it drives fantastically. Its just that i know there is more to be got out of the engine. Im looking to spend about 2grand, maybe abit more, on go faster and sound better bits. So any suggestions on what i can do to my car within my budget and where i can get the bits from and what kind of gains i can expect would be great.
Its my first euro, having been driving a v8 commodore for years, and i must say that im sad i didnt buy one earlier. Dam its a sexy machine. GO THE MK4 GTI WOOOHOOOO. cheers.

itsta

hitmanGTI

super chips..
0800 superchips tell him you are a member of vask
1550 incl gst Make it go like buggery..

exhaust wise.

dont touch it unles your want to make it sound like poo

however.. if u do want to make it go and sound a little bit better.. get the Cat converter cut out and put a tiny resonator in its place.. and cut the big centre resonator out..

(see mr muffler in Onehunga (Dean) he will probably do the above for about 100 buxs if that..)

Put an exhaust on mine.. still regret it.. however if you want to do something about the rear box you could get a remus rear box they are nicely built and dont sound like arse..

um

suspention my set up has cost me well in excess of 1700 dollars Custom Bilstien Shocks.. with H&R Springs

cao

Don't forget if you chip you will need an uprated clutch eventually if not straight away.  ::)
Both me and "Mk4 GTI" have had ours slip in fifth after chipping

Also getting an aftermarket DV is consider a must if chipping your best bet is Rex "urq20v" he has provided members with DVs in the past for around half of what it would cost from other sources (Thanks again Rex  ;D)

Quote from: itsta on May 20, 2006, 10:54:45 PM
Oh im in Auckland. :)
Who isn't o yhea me

timmay

In no particular order...

- Suspension
- Chip
- Exhaust

;D
2001 Porsche Boxster S: Meridian Silver| De-Ambered | De-Snorkled Intake
2003 VW Golf R32 | 2009 BMW Z4 sDrive35i | 2007 BMW 130i SE MSport | 1999 Honda S2000 | 2003 Mazda RX8 Type-S | 2000 VW Golf GTi | 1998 Mazda MX5 RS

Period_Correct_

Quote from: timmayyyy on May 21, 2006, 12:29:08 PM
In no particular order...

- Suspension
- Chip
- Exhaust

;D

you can get all taht done for 2 grand... sum1s got hook ups...  :laugh:
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

Audi-man

Chip it. Anton rates his superchips experience and get a new Forge DV. This will take up your $2k quite nicely.

I've chipped my A4 (same engine as you), and can confirm you will not be disappointed with chipping the car.  8)

hitmanGTI

Quote from: cao on May 21, 2006, 09:21:14 AM
Don't forget if you chip you will need an uprated clutch eventually if not straight away.  ::)
Both me and "Mk4 GTI" have had ours slip in fifth after chipping

only in 5th are you serious lol.. i have slippage in every gear!!!!

RS ZWEI

Quote from: NasTnaS on May 21, 2006, 03:37:52 PM
you can get all taht done for 2 grand... sum1s got hook ups...  :laugh:

Id say you could.

a Patec suspension kit, around 1K

a chip like this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Volkswagen/auction-57398867.htm for $600

leaving about $400 for the exhaust

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

hitmanGTI

those chips do not include Install Costs...

cao

Quote from: MK4 GTI on May 21, 2006, 05:03:16 PM
only in 5th are you serious lol.. i have slippage in every gear!!!!
Intially in fifth then progessed to second

hitmanGTI

Quote from: cao on May 21, 2006, 06:15:11 PM
Intially in fifth then progessed to second

lol.. mine has just started to creep in to first.. im calling a finance company tomorow morning lol!!

itsta

:)whao. In one short day i got all the answers i wanted. Cheers guys. Im stoked. I'll let ya know how things go.
Out of curiosity, with an uprated turbo etc, what sort or fwhp could be achieved from this car??
cheers.

hitmanGTI

Quote from: itsta on May 21, 2006, 08:05:52 PM
:)whao. In one short day i got all the answers i wanted. Cheers guys. Im stoked. I'll let ya know how things go.
Out of curiosity, with an uprated turbo etc, what sort or fwhp could be achieved from this car??
cheers.

Um.. depends if you like torque steer or Loss of traction and carrering in to walls at high speed..

My Car chipped breaks traction in first when it power bands and in the wet breaks traction 1st and 2nd gearn no problems..

um with uprated turbo.. how ever you have it tuned.. in the states with big turbos etc they comfortably tune them to 300hp @ Fly..

cao

They can be tuned to give more power than u can use

With my chip my wheels break loose in second  >:D

hitmanGTI

Quote from: cao on May 21, 2006, 11:48:13 PM
They can be tuned to give more power than u can use

With my chip my wheels break loose in second  >:D

lol yeah mine did when i first drove out of the drive way.. but then the clutch decided to let the side down about 10 minutes in to the thrash lol..

if you go in to Uprated turbos be prepared to pay 4000 and up

cao

Quote from: itsta on May 21, 2006, 08:05:52 PM
cheers.

Will 700hp do http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2158671

itsta

HMMMMMMM. Just been to CCS. Getting some mats and stuff. Thought id ask about the chips. Aparently they were being sold for 4grand just for the chip wtf. But the nice dude there did say that they were pretty keen to get rid of their remaining stock so will be able to do a real good deal installed for maybe under a grand. So i was very interested but he said that he needed the chasis number just to make sure that the chip would work. Now he had a look under my bonnet and basically said, hmmm r u sure this thing hasnt already been chipped? And he mentioned the after market bits in the engine bay (blue pipes, strut) Well i dunno!!  It is the only gti that i have driven so i have nothing to compare it to!!! Is there anything that may tell me whether its been chipped.(Without paying someone). Like would the boost come on sooner? Drop off sooner? Or maybe 0-100 stats for a standard gti compared to a chipped gti? Well i dunno. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

RS ZWEI

Quote from: itsta on May 23, 2006, 05:46:06 PM
HMMMMMMM. Just been to CCS. Getting some mats and stuff. Thought id ask about the chips. Aparently they were being sold for 4grand just for the chip wtf. But the nice dude there did say that they were pretty keen to get rid of their remaining stock so will be able to do a real good deal installed for maybe under a grand. So i was very interested but he said that he needed the chasis number just to make sure that the chip would work. Now he had a look under my bonnet and basically said, hmmm r u sure this thing hasnt already been chipped? And he mentioned the after market bits in the engine bay (blue pipes, strut) Well i dunno!!  It is the only gti that i have driven so i have nothing to compare it to!!! Is there anything that may tell me whether its been chipped.(Without paying someone). Like would the boost come on sooner? Drop off sooner? Or maybe 0-100 stats for a standard gti compared to a chipped gti? Well i dunno. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Who did you speak with at CCS?

Id be interested to see a pic of your engine bay?

Do yo have a boost gauge? If so what is it running?

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

hitmanGTI

Quote from: itsta on May 23, 2006, 05:46:06 PM

Come round i can pull your ECU out and look.. or if u take me for a drive i can tell u soon enough.. as mine has been chipped. and i know what they are like stock...