MKV to MK6 - thoughts?

Started by 22, December 05, 2013, 12:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haven't had my MKV GTi for long, just under 6 months.

I'm looking to upgrade to a MK6 and was wondering if it was worth it?  I'll be using it mainly on the weekends around the city.  My MK5 is a 6spd manual and boy it does get tiring, also the Mrs can't really drive it.

The one i'm looking at is a DSG and relatively low k's.  I will question the DSG service too..

Overall which is the better car?

I think i'm about ready for DSG haha..

80 Vert

MK5 and MK6 are pretty much the same, exactly the same shell with different outer skin and updated interior, engine is pretty much the same as well apart from injection system.
Handling will be the same as the susp is the same and all inter changes with the Mk5.

I've just put a Mk6 dash etc in to a Mk5 shell, all bolts in hence the "body" is the same.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

GLIDN

Quote from: 80 Vert on December 05, 2013, 03:03:28 PM
MK5 and MK6 are pretty much the same, exactly the same shell with different outer skin and updated interior, engine is pretty much the same as well apart from injection system.
Handling will be the same as the susp is the same and all inter changes with the Mk5.

I've just put a Mk6 dash etc in to a Mk5 shell, all bolts in hence the "body" is the same.

The mk6 TSI engine is smoother than the TFSI mk5 engine. Also it has a little more torque.
MK6 DSG is light years ahead of the mk5 platform DSG. Much quicker, quieter and smoother as well.
I'm only making comparison's directly between MK5 GTI and MK6 GTI.
Personally, I like the front weight and control more on the MK5 compared to the MK6.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

insane

Quote from: GLIDN on December 05, 2013, 05:26:57 PM
The mk6 TSI engine is smoother than the TFSI mk5 engine. Also it has a little more torque.
MK6 DSG is light years ahead of the mk5 platform DSG. Much quicker, quieter and smoother as well.
I'm only making comparison's directly between MK5 GTI and MK6 GTI.
Personally, I like the front weight and control more on the MK5 compared to the MK6.

Isn't there only one transverse 6 speed version, that being the DQ250 (code 02E) as found on the options sheet thing you get with the car?

GLIDN

Quote from: insane on December 08, 2013, 06:13:35 PM
Isn't there only one transverse 6 speed version, that being the DQ250 (code 02E) as found on the options sheet thing you get with the car?

That is correct, but the mk6 has newer faster Mechatronics unit. I'm not aware of being able to be retrofitted to mk5's. I have not done any investigation into it however.

Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

insane

Quote from: GLIDN on December 08, 2013, 07:01:43 PM
That is correct, but the mk6 has newer faster Mechatronics unit. I'm not aware of being able to be retrofitted to mk5's. I have not done any investigation into it however.

Right, that sounds very plausible given the lower numbers of people with mk6's complaining. Of course mk6's haven't been around for as long either, but would be interesting to know if they could be swapped as anyone with a MK5 would't want to replace theirs with a 'defective'/less robust MK5 design come the time.

Thirdeye

Quote from: 80 Vert on December 05, 2013, 03:03:28 PM

Mean! How much did mk6 dash cost? Any photos?
2007 VW Golf GTi - (NZ New)

schattenblau

Mk5 is nicer to drive than Mk6.

The 5 feels sportier, more like a hothatch should.

The Mk6 is more refined, too refined.

Exceptions being the Mk6 GTI Edition 35 and Mk6 R, both use the older, rortier, more characterful Mk5 engine.

Pick of the Mk6's would be the Edition 35, the R is nicer to drive than the preceding R32 but still has a gloopy, feel to the handling.

Otherwise there are plenty of good Mk5 GTI DSGs in the market at bargain prices.

ranton-inc

Quote from: schattenblau on February 26, 2014, 06:04:09 PM
Mk5 is nicer to drive than Mk6.

The 5 feels sportier, more like a hothatch should.

The Mk6 is more refined, too refined.

Exceptions being the Mk6 GTI Edition 35 and Mk6 R, both use the older, rortier, more characterful Mk5 engine.

Pick of the Mk6's would be the Edition 35, the R is nicer to drive than the preceding R32 but still has a gloopy, feel to the handling.

Otherwise there are plenty of good Mk5 GTI DSGs in the market at bargain prices.

not entirely sure how you came to that conclusion... they are identical chassis... except the mk6 was build cheaper as VW lost their ass on the mk5

theres less screws clips and deadening on the mk5.

they both feel like underwhelmimg / under powered / overweight "not so hot" hatches

that said they are nice cars to drive

schattenblau

???

Both may run identical chassis - if anything the Mk6 feels a little bit sharper, and it has XDS but ESP is not switchable whereas on the MK5 you can turn it off.

;)

The big difference is the way the engines perform - the Mk5 feels rougher but also more eager, the Mk6 is more refined and feels flat in comparison.

;D

brian

Nothing wrong with a bit of refinement
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

bunana

:-[ kinda a bad time getting rid of the mk5 gti tho... prices dropped a LOT!
audi a3-8L 1.8T (sold)
audi a3-8P 2.0T (sold)
vw polo-mk5 1.2 tsi (sold)

RS

Quote from: 22 on December 05, 2013, 12:49:48 PM

I'll be using it mainly on the weekends around the city.  My MK5 is a 6spd manual and boy it does get tiring, also the Mrs can't really drive it.

The one i'm looking at is a DSG and relatively low k's.  I will question the DSG service too..

Overall which is the better car?

I think i'm about ready for DSG haha..

Sounds like you need a Prius TBH  :P