2001 S8 D2 Transmission

Started by marcuspm, December 08, 2013, 01:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marcuspm

I have a 2001 S8 D2 that is in beautiful condition. Unfortunately at 187,000km the gearbox started thumping from 1st into 2nd gear and now hunts gears then flips into limp mode. The transmission is ok when cold for a couple of kms but is making a nasty whining noise prior to gear change before starting to perform the above routine. She is otherwise in beautiful condition inside and out and would love to have her back running well. Breaks my heart to think of her being wrecked but cant find a second hand box and reco I have been advised would be little change from $6k!
We did an oil change and transmission kit but that made it worse!
Any suggestions?

le mans

Unfortunately no cheap solution is likely to fix it. You might find a second hand box somewhere but then how long before that goes too? You may get something recond out of Europe/USA, but the shipping alone is likely to be around $1k, unless you can get it put in a container somehow.

RS ZWEI

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

Filx

^ That was going to be my suggestion but I doubt you can do it much cheaper than rebuilding the auto.
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

spooln

Still worth it. What trans would you plant in?
77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

nordschleife

They made a few manual ones didn't they?
VW Golf GTI - Track Car
VW Golf GTI - Road Car
BMW ///M5 - Previous Car and looking for another - F10 LCI
Octavia vRS Combi - Wife's Car
VW Golf R32 - Sold

Filx

There were some manual S8s and how awesome would they be!  8)

From what I've read on the net a B5 S4 is the donor of choice with the steel case gearbox and then fit the rear diff as well. Requires a custom length drive shaft as well as a bunch of other work. If you're a hands on person and up for a project then it could be done - but it's not a weekend type swap.

The other issue in NZ is the donor parts aren't easy to fine, though M (Barry) on the forum here has some 01Es I believe which is a good start.

OOOO

I'd just get the trans rebuilt. Very much worth it if it drives anything like mine. What are you going to replace it with and how much to do so for an equivalent car?
2014 Audi A8 4.2TDI
2013 VW Golf 2.0TDI
2009 Audi A3 quattro

Filx

FWIW I was doing a bit of reading today an stumbled on this thread http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=46685

Interesting - I'm not sure would have the confidence to try it, let alone physical capability, but gives some insight into what is required.

Lee

Hey Guys--this maybe a very long shot but when I bought my Audi 40v V8 engine I sold the auto box to an Automatic repair shop in Archers Rd Auckland.  Maybe worth a call when they open.

00quattro00

Quote from: RS ZWEI on December 09, 2013, 10:49:07 AM
Convert it to a manual.

Yea sure why not, just ring up the dealer for the rhd pedal box and all the other parts needed
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t