S4 won't start

Started by Rossi, March 30, 2017, 07:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossi

Hi guys

After many years of faithful service my B5 S4 let me down last night. Cranked but wouldn't start.
Ran Vag-com on it today but there are no faults that seem relevant, so a couple of quick questions if someone could help me out.

1. Should the tacho move when cranking the engine before it fires? Mine doesn't.

2. When should the EPC light go out after turning on ignition? Mine stays on until after a second or so of cranking then turns off.

3. Should I be hearing the fuel pump running when I turn ignition on? I am not.

I'm suspecting engine speed sensor but don't have fault code for that and it's resistance tests ok.

Cheers
Rossi

2001 S4 Avant.
Corrado 16v - BR Motorsport ported KR 1.8l head with 284deg schrick cams, 9A 2.0l block, Milltek headers, K&N filter, 40mm lowered on PI springs/Boge shocks + VR6 strut mounts, front poly bushes, 280mm G60 front discs, 16" Porsche replica mags.

80 Vert

All classic signs of the crank position sensor.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

Rossi

Turned out it is a faulty fuel pump.

After much misdiagnoses and mucking around and an expensive tow truck home got it running again just by thumping the bottom of the fuel tank with a hammer...

Guess I need a new fuel pump though as if it's done it once I'm sure it'll do it again.
2001 S4 Avant.
Corrado 16v - BR Motorsport ported KR 1.8l head with 284deg schrick cams, 9A 2.0l block, Milltek headers, K&N filter, 40mm lowered on PI springs/Boge shocks + VR6 strut mounts, front poly bushes, 280mm G60 front discs, 16" Porsche replica mags.

mangusta

just incase...get a can of crc engine start...if it wont start again,spray the stuff into the air intake for a few seconds...should start.cheers Mark

ranton-inc

Quote from: mangusta on April 07, 2017, 10:21:07 AM
just incase...get a can of crc engine start...if it wont start again,spray the stuff into the air intake for a few seconds...should start.cheers Mark

and how exactly will squirting engine start make his fuel pump run again....

mangusta

By the sound of it,it could be any thing,including an air leak causing it.My a8 has a similar problem...the engine start fires the motor causing the pressure to build up ,helping the pumps...just an idea anyway,its only 20 bucks but might help if it wont start in the middle of the night,another thing with these is if the tank is constantly run low,it will kill the pump sooner or latter,although this isnt the case here as the pump still goes..cheers Mark

Rossi

Salvaged a fuel pump from the remains of the S4 at Zebra parts Manakau so all sorted now. No longer have to drive around with hammer in the door pocket to jolt the fuel pump into life every second or third start!
2001 S4 Avant.