Finally got my rear sway bar fitted

Started by RobClubley, May 27, 2006, 01:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobClubley

I ordered a rear swaybar from a local garage back in January and it finally arrived this week!

Got it fitted this morning and first impressions are very good - definitely feels more "planted" when cornering.

It was a MkIV Golf one from Whiteline. Cost $175 plus an hour to fit (it would have taken half that but the guy had only fitted them on Japanese cars before!!)
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

RobClubley

Some pics of the offending item :)

I finally had a proper drive on some twisty roads too - SH2 over Rimutaka Hill and it has definitely made a big difference  ;D
1985 ur quattro

hitmanGTI

What concerns me is how low it sits...

yes i know it travels with the suspention.. have you tried going around a corner fast and then coming of throttle good way to induce a drift..

is it adjustable? How long did it take to arrive..

RobClubley

It took ages to arrive - about 3 months!
It's not adjustable.
And I'm too scared to encourage a drift on NZ roads :) Maybe on a track....
1985 ur quattro

dubstar

I'm guessing those pieces of box section steel came with the sway bar (the ones that hold the links).  I don't like how the right one has deformed already.  It might pay to get someone to weld some bracing onto them.
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

hitmanGTI

Quote from: dubstar on July 25, 2006, 10:33:15 AM
I'm guessing those pieces of box section steel came with the sway bar (the ones that hold the links).  I don't like how the right one has deformed already.  It might pay to get someone to weld some bracing onto them.

Most Sway Bars i have seen for the Golfs etc.. the sway bars endlinks just work in conjuntion with the shock wrist pins.. not just bolted on with box section.. seems very dodgy and unprofessional to me...

RobClubley

That occurred to me to but I thought what the hell, I'll give it a try!
1985 ur quattro

hitmanGTI

Quote from: RobClubley on July 25, 2006, 12:26:16 PM
That occurred to me to but I thought what the hell, I'll give it a try!

yeah i suppose in saying that the worse is that your sway bar coudl drag along the ground