6N2 Polo GTI box is toast

Started by the phantom, January 17, 2014, 04:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the phantom

I don't have a lot of info at this stage, but it seems my son's 2001 Polo GTIs gearbox is stuffed and unrepairable (I need to check that out), new box $4k

so thoughts are check out locating a second hand box to swap in (hen's teeth and probably same issues) or maybe putting a MK3 Golf GTI 16v engine and box in

I'm away from home at present and will check out UK Polos when I get home, any initial thoughts fellow vaskers?
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

Poonmobile

Current:
06 NZ B7 RS4 Avus Silver, 01 NZ B5 RS4 Avus Silver, 93 NZ VR6 Tornado Red 3dr, Renault Clio 172 & Renault Clio 197
Past:
MK2 VR6, MK5 GTI, 2 x MK5 R32, 8L S3 Imola, MK4 Golf V6 4MO, Polo GTI, 2x MK3 VR6, D2 S8, B5 S4 Avant, 03 NZ R32 Deep Blue Pearl, Renault Megane R26 liquid yello

80 Vert

Import box from UK, however someone on TM is wrecking a GTI as well
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

00quattro00

Has the diff gone into self destruct mode?
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

00quattro00

Land Rover 110 4bd1t

the phantom

Quote from: 00quattro00 on January 17, 2014, 09:31:00 PM
Has the diff gone into self destruct mode?

I'm away and haven't had a chance to talk to my son about it yet, it's driveable, so possibly not the diff

I reckon a 1.8T would possibly be too heavy and unbalance the car, I do know they went into later Polo GTIs though

SOFTLAD

You should talk to CBRT re sourcing you one in the UK and shipping it or talk with JohnP about rebuilding the existing box.

RS ZWEI

I think this is pretty common for these gearboxs isnt it?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

the phantom

Quote from: SOFTLAD on January 18, 2014, 06:08:29 PM
You should talk to CBRT re sourcing you one in the UK and shipping it or talk with JohnP about rebuilding the existing box.

thanks for the leads, I've dealt with John on a couple of occasions

I think it might have been Jem who described these boxes as being made of chocolate

b0000st

Someone was quoted $4000 for a box in NZ for my Polo so they traded it,  I got one in the UK for 75 pounds even with shipping its less than a second hand one here.

Matt

HaNs

Yeh they are pretty weak boxes, what's it doing?

00quattro00

Land Rover 110 4bd1t

the phantom

had a chat with the guys at Vodis today, it's pulling to the left (pretty much a constant and we've had the alighnment done twice) but on the brake testing rollers with the car in neutral, the right wheel would suddenly lock with no apparent cause

sounds to me like a diff issue, if it was the 5th gear plastic bushing, I'd expect it to affect both wheels

while there are plenty of references to busted 6N2 GTI boxes (one guy on UK Polos had 5 boxes fail on him, sounds like good money after bad) but there's precious little on fixing them other than getting them rebuilt at Joe Bloggs Motors who are better at it than Fred Smith Autos

there's a press on final drive and a riveted one, could be a rivet's come loose

Mike at Tristram referred me to Mike at Kaspa Transmissions to get an honest appraisal

HaNs

Dads one which i had for a few months always pulled to the left even after new tyres and alignment. Didnt look further into it.

It also had a bad crunch into reverse, girlfriend drove it one day and it was fine after then  ???

Might be worth talking to a local box expert

the phantom

thanks Hans, but not needed (fingers crossed), I took it to Kaspa Transmissions on the advice of Mike at Tristram and their view was that the box wasn't the problem and to get the brake issues sorted and then to reassess the issues

so took it to Endeavour Motors who replaced rotten brake vacuum hoses and fitted new front discs and pads, they checked the gearbox oil and said it looked good, so I picked up the new passenger's door lock from TGristram today and will probably fit it on Saturday, then off to the testing station for a WOF check

the phantom

fitted the new lock yesterday, finished too late to go to the testing station, went today and with the replacement of a tailight bulb - flew through

so much for a $4,000 gearbox replacement   :P ::)

Poonmobile

Current:
06 NZ B7 RS4 Avus Silver, 01 NZ B5 RS4 Avus Silver, 93 NZ VR6 Tornado Red 3dr, Renault Clio 172 & Renault Clio 197
Past:
MK2 VR6, MK5 GTI, 2 x MK5 R32, 8L S3 Imola, MK4 Golf V6 4MO, Polo GTI, 2x MK3 VR6, D2 S8, B5 S4 Avant, 03 NZ R32 Deep Blue Pearl, Renault Megane R26 liquid yello

the phantom

the battery was a bit flat as it had sat for a while, so I took it on a run up to Albany and back, on the uphills at 100K it was shuddering a bit,

talked to Steve at Endeavour when i took my Golf in for a warrant and he said it was most likely inner CV joints and it might go away with a repacking of grease

a quick google didn't show up anything useful, is this an easy job?