-Fixed- Installed H&R cup kit - riding high, knocking, scraping

Started by maybe1day, January 30, 2014, 10:03:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maybe1day

Well, I tried installing my new H&R cup kit on the cheap and now the car is unhappy. I am basically looking for any problems that I may not have considered.

It makes knocking noises over bumps, weird scraping noises, bad handling etc and the fronts only dropped about 4mm once installed.  We installed the new struts and springs by reusing the existing hardware and bushes.  I realise that they are supposed to settle over time but a 4mm initial drop does not seem right given that the fronts should end up about 50mm lower. The rears did drop a proper amount.

I have not had an alignment yet so that will account for some of the scraping and terrible handling.

I suspect the big black rubber bits at the top of the struts (just below the body) and big round bushings further down need replacing so I have ordered some more of those. I have also ordered some rear bushings (the big silver things) in case they are worn. The car has about 80,000 kms on it.

I suspect the grinding noise when I turn ... right? is the sway bar even though I am not lower, so I have ordered an H&R bar to replace it.

I am planning on getting the oem bushings and h&r sway bar and then taking the car into a proper mechanic to get it sorted and aligned. I am also going to get the part number for the springs and struts and confirm those with the supplier just in case the wrong springs were sent to me.

Is there anything else I might need to look for?

GLIDN

It sounds to me like the following things,
You have assembled the top hat and spring cap wrong.

If you have a 40-50mm lowering kit, you will require longer drop links. Otherwise your swaybar will rub against the driveshafts around corners. Also will bang against the driveshafts when you go over bumps
These parts would need to be installed prior to a wheel alignment (to be on the safe side).

If you look in the engine bay at the strut towers, If there is a gap of more than 5-8mm your top mounts a gone burgers.
Again which would add to your undesired banging noises.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

maybe1day

Thanks GLIDN, I think the assembly may be wrong as well. I have ordered in the sway bar from H&R rather than using drop links. The top mount gap is different on each side so at least one of the bushes must be gone burgers.

GLIDN

Quote from: maybe1day on January 31, 2014, 10:47:44 AM
Thanks GLIDN, I think the assembly may be wrong as well. I have ordered in the sway bar from H&R rather than using drop links. The top mount gap is different on each side so at least one of the bushes must be gone burgers.

You will need drop links, regardless of Sway bar upgrade.
This is a very well known issue with lowering a MK4 golf I'm afraid.

maybe1day

Hmmmm... I might have gotten confused about the situation. My impression was that many sway bars do require those special links to reposition them away from the drive shafts but the H&R sway bar was shaped to avoid the driveshafts anyway.

This is the one I have ordered: http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_IV--1.8T/Suspension/Sway_Bar/ES679/ - "Use for correct driveshaft clearance when lowering front end more than 1.4".

It has larger hoops or something for additional clearance and H&R do not mention anywhere that you should also use special links as well.

Pinkmaggit

I believe you need the links as well as that sway bar as it does alter the mounting points.
I have some I can sell on if there is interest.

GLIDN

The only way to avoid upgrading the drop links, will be to install the R32 front sway bar.

Additionally, unless your car will be on the race track.
Typically, the front Swaybar is more than upto the task.
Only require either rear strut brace or Swaybar installed.

ranton-inc

maybe1day

For anyone that is interested;

I replaced the suspension bushings and front wheel bearings and had Powerhaus re-installed the suspension properly - now rides great, nice and firm with no weird noises.

Also the sport cup kit did not require the aftermarket sway bar - once the springs settle I will probably sell it.

Much happier with the car now! Only need spacers or wider wheels and maybe an ecu remap.

GLIDN

That a good news, if no upgraded drop links are required you only have a 30mm lowering kit

Poonmobile

great news, did you order the cup kit through ECS?
Current:
06 NZ B7 RS4 Avus Silver, 01 NZ B5 RS4 Avus Silver, 93 NZ VR6 Tornado Red 3dr, Renault Clio 172 & Renault Clio 197
Past:
MK2 VR6, MK5 GTI, 2 x MK5 R32, 8L S3 Imola, MK4 Golf V6 4MO, Polo GTI, 2x MK3 VR6, D2 S8, B5 S4 Avant, 03 NZ R32 Deep Blue Pearl, Renault Megane R26 liquid yello

maybe1day

Yes, ordered though ECS http://www.ecstuning.com/ES684/ - 2" (50mm) drop at the front and 1.7" (43mm) drop at the back once it settles.

I forgot to measure the height before I put the suspension in unfortunately so I am not sure how much it really dropped - I asked ECS to double check that I got the right kit and they said yes but... it does not seem as low as I expected.

Still, the ride is much improved and I am more about getting some poke than going low anyway.

Fizz

One thing to remember as well is that the US cars stock heights tend to be higher than Euro cars stock height

maybe1day

That makes sense actually - the american standard model would ride higher than japanese gti model to start with. I will take a photo and upload before and after shots so people can see the difference if they are curious about getting the kit.