Audi 90 Quattro on trademe

Started by 5-pot, June 19, 2006, 10:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5-pot

Gidday, long time spectator but first time poster.  I've been hunting for an audi 90/80 quattro for a while now and found this. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Audi/auction-60558961.htm
What do you guys think?  It almost seems too good to be true.  I heard the hydraulic lifters are a common failure in these engines but it says they've been replaced.
?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 1990 Coupe quattro - R.I.P.
- 1988 90 quattro project... Sold
- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

Pushbutton_auto

Lifters don't fail, just get a little noisy sometimes.

No mention of any power steering leaks, pay to check that.

Take it for a spin and see how it goes, esp check for overheating.
Beating up parking wardens ain't a crime.

eurostylz

Duncan

I'll 2nd the overheating suggestion. In my case it was a head gasket. Bypassed heater core could be bad for winter driving (no front window demist), and I imagine it's a bit of a b*tch to replace. Good cars though, and handle pretty well. Torsen diffs in the wet are *awesome*...!

Duncan
'90 944S2
'88 90Q
'86 CQ

5-pot

Yeah, about that heater matrix...  Where is it??  I imagine somewhere thoroughly annoying halfway up the block and between some pipes and the firewall... :(  I did notice the water pump having been replaced so, i suspected a previous overheating problem (had one experience with a Honda City Turbo.  Good thing we caught it in time tho...)
?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

robh

It will be inside the car behind the dash, not sure if you have to remove dash on one of these to replace it.

Chances are the heater matrix isn't that expensive, but the labour to pay someone else to fix it will hurt.
Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

Mike

Looks OK and with two owners only, and with cam belt, water pump etc sounds as though it has been looked after and necessary work done.

Heater matrix could cost a bit though, but as with any old car there will be something needing doing.

If it is tidy and with service history it could be worth a punt. Looked after, these cars go on for ever. In the US there are plenty with 300,000 miles (500,000km) plus. And these ones are galvanised which is good for longevity but can disguise abuse. You should be able to drive a good bargain with the mileage as NZers are traditionally wary of anything with more than 100,000km.

I reckon go and have a look.

5-pot

Sweet. Thanks for the advice guys.  I just found another 90 Quattro so, i'm gonna have a peek at that too.  it's a grand more expensive but 30000 less k's and looks in much better condition.  :)

- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI