Bigs vs smalls........

Started by dubstar, February 09, 2005, 01:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubstar

With the 'rebirth' of my GTI, just a few weeks away I was pondering whether to take my car in a different direction.
Having an 87 GTI, I originally had small bumpers (with a red stipe), but to be different I went for big bumpers (with all the trimmings, eg. flares, sills, 16v spoiler).

I now face a decision.  Two options:

1) Keep the big bumpers and just upgrade to late model doors (one piece glass) and 15"x7" BBS wheels (when Rossi sells his ;D). 

2) Revert to small, plain black bumpers, lose all flares/sills (and panel over the little holes on the rear arch), add GTI spoiler, late model doors and 15" BBS wheels (when Rossi sells his ;D).

I'd be equally happy with both.  When I go to my car after work, I still love the big bumpers.  However, when I see these new breed "retro" mk2's I get turned on (is this weird?!?).

So, help me.  Give me your opinion.  There are no right or wrong answers, and I will refrain from publicly castrating anyone who makes a bold statement.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

robh

I reckon that whole retro thing looks crap on a mark II but looks awesome on a mark 1.

Big bumpers rock on a mark II.

Quote from: dubstar on February 09, 2005, 01:48:23 PM
However, when I see these new breed "retro" mk2's I get turned on (is this weird?!?).

this scares me, please don't come around my house ever again :)
Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

MRVR6

small --> orignal look; big-->Hmmm

gfunk

I was going to say, small bumpers, single headlamp grill and 13's, then I scrolled down and low and behold there is a picture of exactly what I was thinking.

Period_Correct_

1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

1.8t

Im now a fan on small bumpers, I still want a 5 door mk2, only in white!
Dudlee the 86 318i
Past.. 95 328i M Coupe, 97 Pug 306, 97 Vento

gfunk

The problem is the rallye gaurds, I don't know if anyone makes identical ones yet, I did see a car that had original rallye gaurds fitted to a standard one but that was a monster job apparently.

RS ZWEI

Id keep the Big Bumpers on, get the 1 piece glass doors and some G60 front arches and leave the car white.
Im keeping an eye out for some BBS splits for ya!
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

dubstar

Cheers Nik.

The car is definitely staying white, and at the moment looks like it'll be keeping the big bumpers
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

bsting

Second go...
White car left alone.
Create Rallye replica - in time add 1.8T to it.

RS ZWEI

Quote from: BSTING on February 10, 2005, 02:41:06 PM
Second go...
White car left alone.
Create Rallye replica - in time add 1.8T to it.

1.8T power would be cool, alot of $$$ though.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

bigbumper

Quote from: dubstar on February 09, 2005, 01:48:23 PM
So, help me.? Give me your opinion.? There are no right or wrong answers, and I will refrain from publicly castrating anyone who makes a bold statement.

Errr.... no prizes for guessing which way my vote goes!? :laugh:

1.8t

Dudlee the 86 318i

rambo_005

Stick with the big bumpers, and do the doors. Will look minter!

MRVR6

Yep, big bumper and get rid of that square indicating light!

dubstar

Quote from: MRVR6 on February 11, 2005, 09:12:41 AM
Yep, big bumper and get rid of that square indicating light!

I don't have square side indicators, I have wolfsburg badges

vwgolf

i've just bought an engine and front and rear big bumpers from platinum and i'm about to put them on my 87' gti. personally big bumpers look much better than original. i'll have to post some berfore and after shots once it's all installed.

1.8t

Quote from: vwgolf on February 11, 2005, 12:32:22 PM
i've just bought an engine and front and rear big bumpers from platinum and i'm about to put them on my 87' gti. personally big bumpers look much better than original. i'll have to post some berfore and after shots once it's all installed.

Nice! What engine? 1.8 16v?
Dudlee the 86 318i

vwgolf

nah, 8valve, torque not speed. talking about torque, my engine mount seems to have broken near the gearbox after having it replaced 5 months ago. is it my driving?? is there anything better than original vw as far as engine mounts go?

dubstar

Quote from: vwgolf on February 11, 2005, 09:41:26 PM
nah, 8valve, torque not speed. talking about torque, my engine mount seems to have broken near the gearbox after having it replaced 5 months ago. is it my driving?? is there anything better than original vw as far as engine mounts go?

Mine did that the first month I had it.  I got a guy to weld some reinforcement to the back of it.  Hasn't cracked since....

Did you get the sills and wheel arch covers too?  They are different for the big bumpers!!