2014 S3 driving impressions

Started by Audidude, March 13, 2014, 09:52:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Audidude

Got "talked into" having a new S3 Sportback overnight last week.

Think "baby RS6" in many ways. Shatteringly quick, woofly exhaust note, dial your suspension settings (forget Dynamic unless you're on the track or your fillings are glued with Araldite).

Benefits hugely from the weight reduction of the new chassis - "only" 1430kg which these days qualifies as a lightweight.

The mid-range acceleration is spectacular - flick past anything pretty much anywhere, and expect other road users to think you're nuts and react accordingly............ some people simply can't bear to see others going past :)

Downsides? Steering is remote and numb. Rects well and is accurate but no drivers tool (unfortunately all too common in modern cars. And no manual option in NZ - OK I know the DSG is about 0.4s quicker to 100kph, but I'd happily trade that for what is becoming a tragically rare feature for driver involvement - and be honest - if you're looking at a car like this, unless you are of the "my car's quicker than yours" variety, what you are looking for is Evoness, or "the thrill of driving" - DSG fails on this point.

'90 Audi ur quattro 20v Tornado Red
'15 VW Amarok Highline 4Motion auto
'99 BMW M5 E39 (For Sale, see TM)
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM K20A - Circuit race car
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM, Championship White
'15 Renault Megane 265 RS, Capsicum Red
'03 Porsche 911 996.2 C2, Black, full leather interior

schattenblau

Handling ?

Understeer, understeer, understeer or is there some newfound adjustability ?

Now go back and get a new Golf R for comparison.

;D

Audidude

Quote from: schattenblau on March 13, 2014, 10:40:59 AM
Handling ?

Understeer, understeer, understeer or is there some newfound adjustability ?

Now go back and get a new Golf R for comparison.

;D

Feels very neutral but as I was on busyish public roads exploring the limits would have been seriously illegal and probably dangerous - need the track for that. Which really means probably not that crucial to a purchasing decision unless you're looking for a track tool, and this is definitely not what I would be buying it for.

Given the difference in price between the R and the S3 isn't huge, I'd go with the 4 rings everytime - but then I'm biased ;)

RS

Quote from: Audidude on March 13, 2014, 09:52:13 AM

The mid-range acceleration is spectacular - flick past anything pretty much anywhere, and expect other road users to think you're nuts and react accordingly............ some people simply can't bear to see others going past :)

;D

People flash their lights, wave fists, some even speed up to near the speed limit! Its like you woke them up or something.

The S3 is a good looking car, a good amount of aggression whilst still staying classy, there is a lady in her 40's driving one around Pukekohe, I'm sure it holds the groceries well.

RobClubley

Quote from: RS on March 13, 2014, 12:13:58 PM
;D

People flash their lights, wave fists, some even speed up to near the speed limit! Its like you woke them up or something.

The S3 is a good looking car, a good amount of aggression whilst still staying classy, there is a lady in her 40's driving one around Pukekohe, I'm sure it holds the groceries well.

That's because going fast is inherently dangerous. Hasn't that police campaign taught you anything? :D
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

Audidude

Quote from: RobClubley on March 13, 2014, 12:41:15 PM
That's because going fast is inherently dangerous. Hasn't that police campaign taught you anything? :D

My road speed is consistently 100-105kph EXCEPT when overtaking - despite how idiot police officers enforce overtaking within the limit I choose to do it safely.

RobClubley

You don't overtake at 5kph more than the car in front, being on the wrong side of the road for a couple of km, but within the limit? :D
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

Audidude

Quote from: RobClubley on March 13, 2014, 02:08:13 PM
You don't overtake at 5kph more than the car in front, being on the wrong side of the road for a couple of km, but within the limit? :D

Nah ;).

Cops haven't heard of TED - in the S3 it's about 0.8s ;)

Audidude

Audidude

I don't think they'll need to make the RS3 much quicker, but needs more "in yer face" styling and definitely more road feel and rawness - even at the expense of some refinement........and I know my main wish, a manual gearbox, won't happen here.

schattenblau

Quote from: Audidude on March 13, 2014, 11:34:16 AM
Given the difference in price between the R and the S3 isn't huge, I'd go with the 4 rings everytime - but then I'm biased ;)

You can get the new Golf R with a manual gearbox...

>:D

I'm not a fan of the new S3's snouty look, I prefer the old shape.

;D