How many ways we love our 100 - 200s

Started by Pushbutton_auto, May 09, 2005, 05:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pushbutton_auto

This car is a very great car

With the right snow tires, this car will climb a tree.

The engine is as strong as the day it came off the assembly line.

I have actually pulled out a stuck Ford Explorer on my way up to the ski hill in the middle of a pretty bad blizzard. The Quattro AWD is almost impossible to get stuck, also has rear locking differential which I have used once, and saved me from walking 5 miles in the snow

This car has almost 108,000 miles and although I didn't own the car until it had 90,000 miles, it still seems to run like new. Would definitely recommend this car to anybody who enjoys comfort, safety, and performance all in one car.

Very comfortable car. Great highway cruiser, will eat? the miles with ease

The car is a great load carrier.

It pulls well in all gears

This is a seriously comfortable motor. It cossets you and powers you along at surprisingly high speed.

The fuel economy is better than I expected for such a large, heavy car

Incredible trustworthy and fast engine.

Almost no repair costs in the last 6 years.

Great comfortable chairs

This car was purchased in the knowledge that it had a very limited life left. An A 2 B work hack basically. Has since surprised and delighted me with its comfort, reliability, and good build quality, never expected to be capable of reliable intercity trips, it's now regularly pressed into service, as it is a great long distance vehicle, and feels reliable. Body is totally rust free as the vehicle is fully galvanized and wax injected chassis

I switched to Audi 100s when it became impossible to find rust-free Passat (Audis are galvanised, so no rot). So far I've bought 4, all autos, and currently own 3. 2 have the 5 cylinder engine which just goes on forever (well the furtherest I've gone to is 160,000 when the rings went in one cylinder - the car ran OK, but failed its emissions test).

Although the cost of ownership is quite high, I really like this car. It is very roomy and nice to drive on the long distance trips. To me, it has enough power and fuel consumption is quite OK for a car of this size (on highway 8-9 l/100 km).? A friend, who has lots of experience on Mercedes-Benz? commented after driving my car about 500 km's: "it is a little bit lazy, but runs like a tank through the blizzard".

Very pleasant car to drive, engine stills surprises with its power at this mileage. Fuel consumption is very good, 8L/100 km.
Car is excellent for long trips, even after drive of 16 hours, one does not feel worn out. Economy is good, except for the fact that it needs a lot of maintenance. The car is very well made, rust is not an issue, also the rattles often observed in VW?s are absent after 16 yr.

I find this car a pleasure to drive, even after owning it five years.

It appears to be very well put together, as it is still rattle free.

Fuel economy is not great when city motoring, however, highway is exceptional for a car it's size.

A TOOL! A wolf in sheep?s clothing.. Get an auto box, even the 2.0 E can devastate most other cars from the traffic lights

I loved driving this machine. Exceptionally tough, smooth and the fabulous 5 cylinder noise.

High fuel consumption (30-32mpg) but this included regular redline workouts (pretending it was a Ur Quattro.? Safe handling and fierce brakes bailed me out of trouble more than once.
Might buy it back in 10 years time when it's run in.

Did 130mph on a slightly slipping clutch, mental acceleration in 3rd gear. Fastest car I have driven

Extremely smooth auto box (maybe too smooth?), excellent seats, quiet & pleasant ride make for a comfortable journey.
Bodywork is superb (no rust)

Fantastic "fun" car to drive, faster than others imagine off lights, handles as it were on rails.
Loads of torque, supremely smooth comfortable mile muncher, and 130mph (English miles at that!) Top speed!

With the right snow tires, this car will climb a tree.

I absolutely love mine! Its extremely comfortable! It handles well, and runs quiet, smooth, and solid at any speed. The heated seats, power sunroof, and key light are all such wonderful bonuses that come with this car.
The engine runs smooth, at any rpm, and has a very linear acceleration style (not jerky at all, very smooth)
The 1990 Audi 100 is a phenomenal car, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a solid, well built and stylish older alternative to the Mercedes-Benz E-class, or BMW 525i.

A classic and faithful old friend

Lovely to drive. Quite quick but doesn't encourage you to drive fast except on the motorway. Quite low gearing in top gear means that you can regain cruising speed quickly. I have had 32-34mpg. Large fuel tank means long range (500 miles) between fill ups

Best car I've ever owned

This car probably drives like it did when it first came off the production line, it's smooth and quiet. This car still has that luxurious feel, the interior is clean and tidy, the seats are comfortable. On the motorway it's quieter than cruising around town, which is very surprising.

Best ?200 car that money can buy.

The seats are still rich and soft in its original velour fabric.
Power everything makes it difficult to settle for anything non-electronic.
Acceleration is not great, but picks up speed extremely well once it is taken off.
So many features even newer cars do not offer.

Much better than a BMW or Merc

Excellent value for Money

A great luxury car, an Audi will never let you down

This car is nearly 14 years old. A real bargain at ?750.00 for a car which is solidly built, very reliable, comfortable and quiet. Still looks fresh today, loaded with all the creature comforts and safety features you could imagine- and they all still work! Handles very well for a large heavy estate although the ride is on the firm side and the steering light. No rust at all or any indication of body trouble. Even though only powered by a 2.0 litre, progress is more than adequate and provides relaxed and effortless motorway driving.
Interior still looking as new, considering I am the fifth owner, speaks volumes for Audi's build and material quality. Returns well over 35mpg on average.
A fantastic car, well ahead of it's time. Looks, feels and drives as if it was made yesterday... and will probably be about for a least another ten years.
If you want an executive car which still looks impressive today, delivers the majority of your driving expectations. is quick, comfortable, holds the entire family with room for a brass band and wears an Audi badge... look no further!!!.

The car is a bit slow off the start, but when it gets going, it's gone. The handling on the car is superb, allowing maximum amount of comfort and trust in the cars performance and dependability. It truly is a luxury car that doesn't receive the recognition it deserves. It's the perfect blend between a comfortable family sedan, a sports car and personal luxury vehicle. Wonderful trunk and passenger space. All in all, it's just a great car!

A Very Safe and solidly built car. These cars are fairly simply built, for example the engine is a traditional single over-head cam design. The thing is they are built well. The body is galvanised, so although the car is 10 years old It has no rust at all, and never will have!
The car is fitted with a Procon 10 safety system which actually pulls the steering wheel into the dashboard in the event of an accident. To me this sounds better than having an explosive airbag in front of your face.

Really good car! Fun to drive - it's fast and comfortable, and Quattro makes it an ideal car in bad weather.

For such a large car it handles brilliantly. The car will grip far beyond most others.
Very quiet on the motorway, only wind noise past 90mph. Will easily hit 140mph with plenty to go.

This car runs awesome at about 75 mph and can get almost 500 miles to the tank. I've gotten up to 29 mpg if I drive 65-70 mph steady all the way.

I can drive for 4 hours and not be the least be uncomfortable.

Nice car, especially for long distances. Further to a previous review, yes, you're right, the Audi 100 2.6 can travel all day everyday at 160kph+. I regularly drive through Germany to the port of Calais, France; most of the journey I'm traveling between 170-200kmh, with just a short stop for petrol; never a problem.
I also use the car for daily travel to work, again, never a problem.
I wouldn't say that this car is a sports car, but I would say that given the chance it gives a good account of itself. I took a two day high-speed driving course (run by Swiss Police) on the Hockenheim race track, using this car as the idea of the course was to learn to control your own car at high speed should you need to. When pushed, the handling is good to very good, especially under heavy high speed curves (I was very surprised at the lack of drift, it really held it's line).

Great car, very good for long distances. Pleasant to drive, does not tire the driver nor the passengers.
The 5-cyl engine is nice, smooth, powerful, and it produces a unique sound.

Very nice luxury cruiser! Only yesterday I was on the M1 doing 120mph, when I thought I wasn't going faster than 70. Very smooth ride, gearing and solid German build.

I must say, this is a mighty fine car. I just love the styling and comfort.

It's absolutely excellent on the highway. Very smooth at 70+mph and seems to have plenty of power at speed; where most cars seem to lack. For the weight of the car, it handles quite well and the suspension, even with 120,000 k+ seems like quite a good mix for both comfort and handling.

The interior is laid out very well and is quite comfortable. Pretty much everything in the interior still looks and functions like new even after 10 years, something I can't say about most 2-3 year old cars I've owned.

The AWD is great! Never even slipped a wheel in deep snow or ice.

At? 450,000 kms? ? ? ? Great Value for money!

Not very fast from a standing start, but a great freeway cruiser with plenty of power in reserve for overtaking. Loves to cruise at about 75mph.? Good, safe handling. Has been very reliable. Still looks good.? Lots of passenger and trunk space.

Underrated luxury car with all the standard equipment that you would expect; excellent high speed, long distance cruiser with superb build quality.

The car itself is outstanding (when it's going). Leather trim, electrics, power seats, Blaupunket stereo, 10 stack CD changer, climate control. The original owner lost $90.000 in the depreciation of this car in 5 years. The auto trans is sluggish off the mark, unless you apply throttle, then it moves quite respectably (and then some!). At speed on the highway it moves quickly and effortlessly. This car will happily drive at 160 kms all day if required, probably everyday. It is very comfortable, strong and safe. The perfect family sedan.

This car has luxuries that are out of this world.

6 speaker system.    Power everything, and I mean everything.

Beautifully illuminated steering & dash.    Soft heated cloth seats.

Power sunroof that rocks.    Air conditioning.

The cabin hugs and caresses you at the first instant you enter the car.

Very practical ski bag, that enables long items to be transported.

The rear seats make you feel as you are in a limousine.

Basically it's a great luxurious car.

:)? :)? :)

Some owners share their love

Beating up parking wardens ain't a crime.

Andy

Yeah I saw these too and it sealed the deal!

1.8t

I like the second one, ive never really been a fan of the pre audi 80 audis but you never know!

Seem to be a lot of impresed owners out there.
Dudlee the 86 318i
Past.. 95 328i M Coupe, 97 Pug 306, 97 Vento

Pushbutton_auto

Quote from: Andy on May 09, 2005, 09:23:10 PM
Yeah I saw these too and it sealed the deal!

Strange you say that, because when I bought mine, the night before I picked it up I found these on the net ( a lot less of them btw ) and it really sealed it 4 me too,? esp the A to B hack that ended up taking him all over the place.

OOOO

At the moment I hate my 200tq.  Trying to change the CV boot and the damn circlip on the inside of the CV joint holding it to the axle is stuck...am stuck also as to what to do next.  Usually it is the bottom balljoint that is the pain to get off but that was easy so it must be the circlips turn to bite me in the bum.  Sometimes I yearn for a Honda or Toyota or something just to avoid this crap. :'(
2014 Audi A8 4.2TDI
2013 VW Golf 2.0TDI
2009 Audi A3 quattro

Pushbutton_auto

Quote from: OOOO on May 15, 2005, 07:36:51 PM
.? Sometimes I yearn for a Honda or Toyota or something just to avoid this crap. :'(

Shame on you.  :police:

How is the clip stuck ?   Is one end of the clip bent or broke  ? or is it jammed ?

OOOO

Quote from: Pushbutton_auto on May 16, 2005, 06:28:52 PM
How is the clip stuck ?   Is one end of the clip bent or broke  ? or is it jammed ?

All done now thanks to the services of orggti (Jem).  Ended up taking the driveshaft off and fitting the boot on over the other end.  The clip had broken and was not worth going down that path after a good go at it in the vice. I think the clip had stuck on one side and when separating the clip using pliers it gave the feel of separating but was in fact just bending one side until...'snap'.
2014 Audi A8 4.2TDI
2013 VW Golf 2.0TDI
2009 Audi A3 quattro

orggti

yea i used to think the outer clip was a good idea till now!! The worst thing really tho cause you can always do the boot that way if you have to was how tight the drive shaft bolts were. I had to go at them repeatedly with my very strong makco rattle gun and wait till the compressor ran up pressure and stopped so it would have enuf grunt. Not for the faint hearted. When the CV wears out if it ever does we will have to smash out the inner cage with a cold chisel then angle grind off the inner bit.  :P

OOOO

Back to loving my 200tq after a quick run down to Taupo for the day...rain..rain..rain...quattro weather ;D  The wheel didn't fall off Jem so must have done it right.  Wish the car handled like my modified avant though but it does surprise when you push it harder it just lifts its game and does the business.
2014 Audi A8 4.2TDI
2013 VW Golf 2.0TDI
2009 Audi A3 quattro

orggti

Thats exactly right, they feel like there going to be a bit skittish cause they feel small bumps and dont like going round 90 degree corners but on the open rd when you ddo push them they really can handle awsomely ;D

Pushbutton_auto

just in case you needed more assurance.   :)  :)  :)