Author Topic: A cautionary tale...aftermarket suspension and the LVVTA  (Read 8638 times)

Offline weta.worker

• #
Re: A cautionary tale...aftermarket suspension and the LVVTA
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2014, 12:54:56 pm »
whoa.  to say this has dragged out is quite the understatement!

good luck!
1994 RS2 GUARDS RED
2001 RS4 NOGARO BLUE

Offline RS ZWEI

• Administrator
  • ####
    • http://www.vask.org.nz
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2014, 09:10:57 pm »
Any updates Jon?

I did wonder what an after market suspension kit front struts step up would be like? If say your KW strut setup was on a non coilover kit it wouldnt be an issue and LVVTA wouldnt be looking at them. They only reason they are looking into it is because you have coilovers.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26

Offline 00quattro00

• ###
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2014, 10:53:25 pm »
Any updates Jon?

I did wonder what an after market suspension kit front struts step up would be like? If say your KW strut setup was on a non coilover kit it wouldnt be an issue and LVVTA wouldnt be looking at them. They only reason they are looking into it is because you have coilovers.

Any modified/welded steering component has to be certified.
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

Offline le mans

• #
A cautionary tale...aftermarket suspension and the LVVTA
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2014, 10:01:26 am »
No news yet. Waiting for KW to do some testing and pass the info to LVVTA.
B5 A4, B5 S4, B5 RS4, P1 RS2

Offline RS ZWEI

• Administrator
  • ####
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2014, 10:23:29 pm »
Another month has passed Jon, any luck?
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S

Offline le mans

• #
A cautionary tale...aftermarket suspension and the LVVTA
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2014, 08:45:41 am »
The wheel turns slowly. Hopefully not too much longer. Test results should be available soon according to KW.

Offline le mans

• #
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2014, 08:41:52 pm »
Overdue for an update on this.

KW commissioned a static strength test from a local university in Germany. This is what we had been waiting so long for. The testing was finally completed with the report dated 10/09/14. They compared the steering arm on the OE RS2 strut and the KW RS2. The KW strut was stiffer than the OE strut and neither showed any evidence of cracking at Fmax of approx 20kN (the equivalent of hanging a 2 tonne weight off the steering arm!).

The LVVTA TAC met and discussed the new information. They basically kicked KW into touch and rejected the suspension for NZ certification again. I wont go into details as it's not for public consumption. Suffice it to say the German KW manager who has spent months following up on this was not a happy camper and neither was I. To be fair to TAC they did have a couple of valid points I thought, including a lack of fatigue testing data. KW have since produced some fatigue test results for a Mercedes component they make and showed the KW inox welds to be more resiliant than the OE welds. However this is mute as LVVTA have stopped replying to my emails and I can only assume they are not going to spend any more time on it. KW have also said they are not going to put any more resources into this so it's a stale mate.

The KW suspension is still on my car while I wait for a Koni/H&R kit I've ordered to arrive. On occasion I take the car for a cruise around the 'driveway' to keep the fluids moving around and the KW kit is just fabulous as a sports focussed set up. But alas it's not to be and I have to move on.

Offline brian

• ##
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2014, 08:57:45 pm »
That is an unfortunate outcome particularly after the time and effort spent on it.
1.6 Polo

Online 89 Coupe

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2014, 10:53:46 pm »
That makes me ANGRY.. :( I wont say anymore 
1996 Audi UrS6
1994 BMW 540i Touring

Offline beeker

• ###
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2014, 06:13:19 am »
Overdue for an update on this.

KW commissioned a static strength test from a local university in Germany. This is what we had been waiting so long for. The testing was finally completed with the report dated 10/09/14. They compared the steering arm on the OE RS2 strut and the KW RS2. The KW strut was stiffer than the OE strut and neither showed any evidence of cracking at Fmax of approx 20kN (the equivalent of hanging a 2 tonne weight off the steering arm!).

The LVVTA TAC met and discussed the new information. They basically kicked KW into touch and rejected the suspension for NZ certification again. I wont go into details as it's not for public consumption. Suffice it to say the German KW manager who has spent months following up on this was not a happy camper and neither was I. To be fair to TAC they did have a couple of valid points I thought, including a lack of fatigue testing data. KW have since produced some fatigue test results for a Mercedes component they make and showed the KW inox welds to be more resiliant than the OE welds. However this is mute as LVVTA have stopped replying to my emails and I can only assume they are not going to spend any more time on it. KW have also said they are not going to put any more resources into this so it's a stale mate.

The KW suspension is still on my car while I wait for a Koni/H&R kit I've ordered to arrive. On occasion I take the car for a cruise around the 'driveway' to keep the fluids moving around and the KW kit is just fabulous as a sports focussed set up. But alas it's not to be and I have to move on.

Will KW refund you ?
14 RS6 Avant Black
09 Q7 4.2 TDI
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car

Offline RS ZWEI

• Administrator
  • ####
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2014, 07:47:20 am »
Bugger! :(
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S

Offline B5Passat

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2014, 11:01:49 am »
What a pain.

Offline Filx

• ##
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2014, 01:15:56 pm »
Wow, I'm stunned!

For one I'm impressed with the support from KW with them actually commissioning a test at their cost (I assume it was their cost?) to support what must be an almost one off requirement meaning zero return on investment for them. That's awesome.

Secondly that some LVVTA TAC boffins still had enough concern about the product to not allow it after those tests were performed AND given the product is from one of the largest performance suspension manufacturers in the world (e.g. they must have sold thousands of these kits into some of the most litigious markets over the last 10+ years without issues?) AND that is going on an enthusiast vehicle that will not exactly be racking up thousands of km'!?!?!?  :o >:(

I still think we live in one of the best countries on earth to be a automotive enthusiast with the freedoms that we do have and I understand they have rules they need to work within, but that's incredibly disappointing they can't make an exception in exceptional cases like this. From the outside looking in and based on the info available it seems like a huge failure of common sense.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 01:24:05 pm by Filx »
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

Offline brian

• ##
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2014, 02:00:04 pm »
When did common sense and a Govt dept have a relationship?
1.6 Polo

Online 89 Coupe

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2014, 05:41:08 pm »
Wow, I'm stunned!

For one I'm impressed with the support from KW with them actually commissioning a test at their cost (I assume it was their cost?) to support what must be an almost one off requirement meaning zero return on investment for them. That's awesome.

Secondly that some LVVTA TAC boffins still had enough concern about the product to not allow it after those tests were performed AND given the product is from one of the largest performance suspension manufacturers in the world (e.g. they must have sold thousands of these kits into some of the most litigious markets over the last 10+ years without issues?) AND that is going on an enthusiast vehicle that will not exactly be racking up thousands of km'!?!?!?  :o >:(

I still think we live in one of the best countries on earth to be a automotive enthusiast with the freedoms that we do have and I understand they have rules they need to work within, but that's incredibly disappointing they can't make an exception in exceptional cases like this. From the outside looking in and based on the info available it seems like a huge failure of common sense.

This!
1996 Audi UrS6
1994 BMW 540i Touring