Jap stereo

Started by Sboarder, May 11, 2014, 07:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GLIDN

Quote from: Thirdeye on August 18, 2014, 07:58:18 AM
looks mean bro! does it work with steering wheel controls? seen something similar on trade me for same price

These units will not operate with steering wheel buttons or FIS display.
At all, you also don't require a can gateway upgrade for these.

Installed a few of these. Can get these units with BT for under $250.

As a simple replacement, they do the job fine. If you want or have nice-aties as mentioned.
Then this unit will simply frustrate you on a day to day use.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

schattenblau

they don't sound that good either...
:(

bob

Ok, so what is best to replace the jap radio with then??
We don't have steering wheel controls etc, there is a couple on Trade me that I have been eyeing up....

slowmo

Quote from: schattenblau on August 18, 2014, 08:35:56 PM
they don't sound that good either...
:(

Besides the somewhat crappy FM reception, CD playback and bluetooth streaming is great and an improvement to what I had.

Handsfree phone works a treat too.  :P
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

schattenblau

Quote from: bob on August 18, 2014, 08:42:58 PM
Ok, so what is best to replace the jap radio with then??
We don't have steering wheel controls etc, there is a couple on Trade me that I have been eyeing up....

I was sorely tempted by the feature set and no mucking around with new Canbus etc.
But on hearing one, I was unimpressed by the sound quality, my factory RCD300 sounded better, especially with FM radio.

If features and ease of fitting outweigh sound quality for you, go for it.

You get what you pay for.

Personally I'd stump up the extra and go for a genuine VW unit, they pop up now and then,

eg.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-stereos/cd-players/other/auction-768987131.htm

GLIDN

I can usually get RCD series radios and pretty much any other OEM upgrade including installation..

0mfgroflmao

Just pulled the trigger on this http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-Android-4-1-Car-DVD-for-VW-GOLF-5-Golf-6-POLO-PASSAT-CC/1665160175.html got it for $355USD all up, hopefully will get it next week!

Now just need the shop to hurry up and fix my airbag issue so I can have my car back :/

bennz

Enjoy ;) I think it will be a good value for money

prg-gti

Quote from: wgtngti on May 12, 2014, 05:28:28 PM
Oh great, I'm attempting this on the weekend  :'(

How did it go?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mk5GTiBen

Quote from: 0mfgroflmao on August 16, 2014, 05:09:43 PM
Just curious but does yours display things like door open and AC controls etc like it says in the description? Just wonder if this works on the mk5?

I was looking at ordering this Android unit for my mk5 http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-Android-4-1-Car-DVD-for-VW-GOLF-5-Golf-6-POLO-PASSAT-CC/1665160175.html

Anyone have one of these android units?

Will have that exact one in about a week, can let you know what it's like.

prg-gti

Any progress?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mk5GTiBen

Mines just left Korea , lol ,
been there 3 days

Mk5GTiBen

Arrived today, well packed, a bit annoyed about some scratches in the trim by the sd card slot but otherwise impressed with it, haven't fully tested it but the fm signal is great, the interface is fast, Bluetooth mic is total crap though. Overall I'm pleasantly surprised :)

prg-gti

And?... What do you think of it after a month of use?

GLIDN

Quote from: Mk5GTiBen on August 25, 2014, 11:44:21 PM
Arrived today, well packed, a bit annoyed about some scratches in the trim by the sd card slot but otherwise impressed with it, haven't fully tested it but the fm signal is great, the interface is fast, Bluetooth mic is total crap though. Overall I'm pleasantly surprised :)

That's is exactly the issues with most of these generic units. If Bluetooth is a key requirement then look else where I'm afraid.

subieboy

We ahve the DNS810, works with steering wheel and MFD...

Can buy via aliexpress or via NZ distributor...
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=dns810&catId=&initiative_id=SB_20140929231453

Complete with rear camera and gps

black16v

Why does the Jap O/E radio have 2 aerial leads?. The aerial plugs on the radio are brown and a cream colour.
1988 MK II GTI 16V

GLIDN

Quote from: black16v on October 08, 2014, 04:52:27 PM
Why does the Jap O/E radio have 2 aerial leads?. The aerial plugs on the radio are brown and a cream colour.

Dual band, short and long range. So with own radios driving from Auckland to Wellington.
Listening to ZM for example, would change the frequency without you touching anything on the radio.

black16v

Wow that's cool!! So I guess fitting a band expander to one lead will stuff that up.
1988 MK II GTI 16V

The Red Warrior

Quote from: black16v on October 08, 2014, 05:37:32 PM
Wow that's cool!! So I guess fitting a band expander to one lead will stuff that up.
Dunno, but if you need a band expander that fits original rcd300 I've got one that's free to a good home, ie a vask home. I'm in Auckland