Driver dies after Ferrari crashes at track

Started by schattenblau, May 12, 2014, 06:02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Audidude

Very bad news and condolences to his family.

Any sport can be dangerous - fishing, skiing, cycling, mountain biking, rugby, mountain climbing, BASE jumping. But watch the media scramble over this one.........
'90 Audi ur quattro 20v Tornado Red
'15 VW Amarok Highline 4Motion auto
'99 BMW M5 E39 (For Sale, see TM)
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM K20A - Circuit race car
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM, Championship White
'15 Renault Megane 265 RS, Capsicum Red
'03 Porsche 911 996.2 C2, Black, full leather interior

John Stone

Quote from: Audidude on May 12, 2014, 06:43:07 PM
Very bad news and condolences to his family.

Any sport can be dangerous - fishing, skiing, cycling, mountain biking, rugby, mountain climbing, BASE jumping. But watch the media scramble over this one.........

It's an awful thing to happen and my thoughts go out to the family and friends.
I thought the NZ Herald was quite constrained, reporting the facts and MSNZ's position on track day safety requirements.
Our paper has recently implemented a policy of not chasing ambulance/police/court stories every time something happens - there was a palpable sense of relief amongst the editorial staff. I don't know anyone who relishes covering personal tragedy - give me fun stuff any day.
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

Neckarsulm

Yes very sad indeed. Discussing this already and as I said to my friend, there is danger when driving always, on the track or the road.

RS ZWEI

Its a track day that MJH, my brother and myself normally go to.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

Audidude

Quote from: John Stone on May 12, 2014, 07:18:20 PM
It's an awful thing to happen and my thoughts go out to the family and friends.
I thought the NZ Herald was quite constrained, reporting the facts and MSNZ's position on track day safety requirements.
Our paper has recently implemented a policy of not chasing ambulance/police/court stories every time something happens - there was a palpable sense of relief amongst the editorial staff. I don't know anyone who relishes covering personal tragedy - give me fun stuff any day.

+1 John. Hope you are right.
'90 Audi ur quattro 20v Tornado Red
'15 VW Amarok Highline 4Motion auto
'99 BMW M5 E39 (For Sale, see TM)
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM K20A - Circuit race car
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM, Championship White
'15 Renault Megane 265 RS, Capsicum Red
'03 Porsche 911 996.2 C2, Black, full leather interior

RobClubley

It was quite restrained of them. I hate how they always say "The car they were driving crashed" as if it's the car's fault not the driver.
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

RobClubley

Wow apparently this is big news:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rotorua-daily-post/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503438&objectid=11253630
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11253631
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-bay-today/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503462&objectid=11253684
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11253793

It's certainly a tragedy but it feels like they're itching to make more out of it.
Some of the Facebook comments. Morons.
https://www.facebook.com/nzherald.co.nz/photos/a.176893216301.135996.34497296301/10152039981511302/?type=1&theater

These are why internet comments make me angry.
"Lol the car must of been to fast fr him"
"Speed aye? Sorry to hear!"
"Well pure stupidity"

The internet - proving that you don't need to be informed or intelligent to have an opinion.
1985 ur quattro

M M

Quote from: RobClubley on May 12, 2014, 08:33:57 PM
I hate how they always say "The car they were driving crashed" as if it's the car's fault not the driver.

I agree, very annoying and I see this all the time. Sad to hear about the driver.
Bought not built.

Neckarsulm

It is kind of sad to see all of the Facebook comments from people brainwashed by the NZ Police ads about speed, assuming that the mere act of going faster than 110kph will somehow kill you. Meanwhile Camila Parker-Bowles's brother dies from simply falling over! Anything can kill you but we all choose how we want to live our lives.

RS

Quote from: schattenblau on May 12, 2014, 06:02:31 PM
Motorsport is dangerous !

:(

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11253631

Motorsport? This was a trackday, nothing to do with motorsport.

Sad to hear of this, must have been a hard impact.

schattenblau

Trackdays are the thin end of the motorsport wedge.

>:D

le mans

Sad news for the driver and his family and friends.

Hope it doesn't cause too many issues for future track days though. This is getting a lot more attention than a fisherman getting washed off rocks (a far more common problem!). Regrettably I guess the expensive car makes it more newsworthy/salacious.

What turn did that accident happen on by the way?

RS

I guess the fact it happened in a relatively safe road car makes it more of a shock, imagine if it was a guy in a 90's Japanese car. Have been out in road cars at track days at a high speed and never thought much of the danger.

Highlights the danger involved in crashing without a cage, helmet, harnesses and most importantly a hans device though.

You would think looking at the photo of the damage that the likely cause was a broken neck or a hart attach.

RobClubley

They said he was doing 190 when he crashed - that's a hell of an impact.
1985 ur quattro

John Stone

The list of APN papers which ran the story is understandable, Brendan Manning (APNZ journo) writes for the news service which supplies copy to all APN papers.
Regards the weird facebook comments - I don't do facebook because it seems to be populated by trolls.
I don't think it's anywhere near a 190 kph crash and the report of fresh tyres (green?) after lunch could be a factor.
Again, bloody sad outcome
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

S1

The impact was passenger side but hes Ok . looks like Hans would saved the day?
whats broken this week , hold on ill get my wallet

beeker

Quote from: S1 on May 13, 2014, 03:27:35 PM
The impact was passenger side but hes Ok . looks like Hans would saved the day?

Firstly, a sad story.

I was going to correct you and say that HANS is not designed for protection for side-on impacts, only front on. A head restraint seat is for that purpose.
However I just read this: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2008/03/prweb768284.htm

Alas, you cannot wear a HAN's without a full harness.

14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback