Audi S3 v VW R32

Started by waxer, July 09, 2006, 05:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waxer

Cat amongst the pigeons stuff this..... which is better?

hitmanGTI

R32s

Its chalk and Cheese..

R32 Simon has both.. ask him about it..

waxer

That different eh? id better get out there behind the wheel of a few

hitmanGTI

Quote from: waxer on July 09, 2006, 05:14:00 PM
That different eh? id better get out there behind the wheel of a few

R32 Simon is selling his R32.. it has had a 300hp Upgrade Kit Installed..

the S3s have turbo lag

RS ZWEI

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

eddyg

Quote from: waxer on July 09, 2006, 05:10:46 PM
Cat amongst the pigeons stuff this..... which is better?

I reckon the S3 has the ability to handle better than the R32. The R32 is a bit heavy up front.
But the S3 doesn't come as standard with great handling, you need to throw on some coilovers
for that.

The turbo-lag on the S3 is not huge, even when chipped, but it is always better to not have it at all,
so the R32 is better there.

The R32 sounds very very good, the S3 is pretty boring even with a nice exhaust.

But when it comes down to it the S3 just looks heaps better in my eyes than the R32, especially if
you choose a distinctive Audi S colour (like Nogaro blue). And looks count a lot.

Cheers, Ed.

waxer

Thanks, i think i am leaning towards the S3, subtle good looks and all.  Ok, given that, what are the main differences between a 2000 and a then next model up? is that 2001 or newer? (despite the obvious price difference) and face lift etc.  Also, are there any specific issues to look for in these years?  cheers

hitmanGTI

Quote from: waxer on July 13, 2006, 08:58:50 AM
Thanks, i think i am leaning towards the S3, subtle good looks and all.  Ok, given that, what are the main differences between a 2000 and a then next model up? is that 2001 or newer? (despite the obvious price difference) and face lift etc.  Also, are there any specific issues to look for in these years?  cheers

yeah

Pre Facelift S3s

Run on Dynomometors with no issues

Facelift S3s dont run very well on dynos at all..

something to do with Haldex changes..

Period_Correct_

i think there were suspension changes as well... at 1 of our vask drives i was chatting to a guy in a s3 who owned an urq before... sorry forgot his name...

he reckons there were suspension changes as well...

i think his nick is 12ax7...
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

R32 Simon

I had both, a modified S3 and an R32.

I would always go for the R32, doesn?t matter if your driving around the track or town the R32 handles better, looks better & sounds better, my wife made a comment that when she got out of the S3 (which she loved and was her everyday driver) that it felt very dated compared to the R32, the S3 around town was not a pleasant car to drive, there is turbo lag, the R32 can cruise around in 6th at 50ks try that is an S3 and the gearbox will fall out, the power is instant, as an everyday car the R32 far outweighs the S3 in every aspect , but this is only my opinion, I owned both cars at the same time so I really could make back to back comparisons, i do like the S3 but they are very common now, there are only 32 three door R32 MK4?s in NZ, and don?t forget that sound, the R32 sounds amazing, the S3?s sound like a Dyson

waxer

Brilliant, test drives this weekend then.....

boraV5

i would have an S3 over an R32 anyday... I look at the value proposition...

mind you for value Simons R32 cannot be beaten...

but any other R32s id go S3 no question.

Oh and DBA rotors are the shizzle

eddyg

Quote from: S3Quattro on July 13, 2006, 11:12:25 AM
i would have an S3 over an R32 anyday... I look at the value proposition...

mind you for value Simons R32 cannot be beaten...

but any other R32s id go S3 no question.

Oh and DBA rotors are the shizzle

I want to see pictures of those bad boys :)

As for what to look for in a used S3, according to audi-sport.net you should look for rusting door bottoms.

I've got a MY2002 and am very happy with it, I think the face-lift model looks better - you really want the
xenons and alu mirrors - and it does have strengthened engine parts - so maybe will be better when chipped?

It's not all plain sailing though - mine has cold start issues, runs like a dog for first 30secs. Some sensor is buggered. Probably Lamda sensor, can't be bothered replacing. Just paid 300 odd for the O2 sensor that died.

Cheers, Ed.

RS ZWEI

I personally like both the S3 and R32.

One thing that seems to be playing on everyones mind at the moment is fuel economy, the S3 would win that hands down wouldnt it?

The R32 seems to have more character but the S3 would be more tunable?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

eddyg

Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on July 13, 2006, 11:21:55 AM
I personally like both the S3 and R32.

One thing that seems to be playing on everyones mind at the moment is fuel economy, the S3 would win that hands down wouldnt it?

If you drive the S3 like a granny (like when you are running out of fuel and are 100's km from the nearest fuel) then it is very fuel efficient. If you drive it normally then you only get about 600km out of a tank, 500km in town - but I managed nearer 750km when I really had to (computer showed 900km when refilled after that). The way you drive is by keeping the engine off-boost at all times. Boring though :)

I'd have thought the R32 could do the same, just keep the revs low, and short change all the time.

Cheers, Ed.

12ax7

Quote from: NasTnaS on July 13, 2006, 09:26:05 AM
i think there were suspension changes as well... at 1 of our vask drives i was chatting to a guy in a s3 who owned an urq before... sorry forgot his name...

he reckons there were suspension changes as well...

i think his nick is 12ax7...
Yeah thats me. Significant suspension changes in the facelifted 2002 models, although still too much understeer which can be cured with new Haldex computer. I would go for facelift if possible, interior looks much bettr as well as.
Avoid 97/99 as early A3's had lots of niggles sorted out by 2000.Check for continuous maintenance records, and coil pack replacement.

boraV5

i saw you yesterday nick on boston rd :-)

hitmanGTI

Turbo

Quote from: waxer on July 13, 2006, 09:41:08 AM
Brilliant, test drives this weekend then.....

while you're at it ... S4   8)
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

waxer