Audi S3 v VW R32

Started by waxer, July 09, 2006, 05:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boraV5

VB

Would definitely go for the new s3 over the r32. 195kw standard and 0-60 in 5.7.

hitmanGTI

VB

And how does that opinion make me a peasant? I thought that job was left to vw drivers. :P

Audis are more prestigious than vws and the new s3 makes more power and will be far easier to tune plus they cost about the same. Give me an audi any day especially one that's quicker.

VB

As far as comparing the r32 to the 1999 to 2003 s3 goes sure its an attractive package but its newer and there is a huge price differential between the two so in terms of value the s3 still kicks arse!

Turbo

Quote from: VB on November 07, 2006, 02:43:41 PM
And how does that opinion make me a peasant? I thought that job was left to vw drivers. :P

you have to take anything he says with a grain of salt. there's no filter between his brain and the keyboard sometimes.

but good call. ;)
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

VB

Fair enough. Don't get me wrong I genuinely like r32s especially the 3 doors and they have come down in price a fair bit now. There's a 2003 r32 3dr manual on trade me asking $41,000 for 30,000 odd kms.

I like the look of the new s3 but then we weren't including that to be fair initially.

Simon's r32 sounded like it was definitely a great car and i would have loved it if I hadn't already purchased my s3.

What is every one's feelings re dsg? You get better acceleration time but poorer times on a track. Huge improvement on a normal auto and probably great for around time and off the lights.

Audidude

Quote from: VB on November 07, 2006, 03:32:42 PM

What is every one's feelings re dsg? You get better acceleration time but poorer times on a track. Huge improvement on a normal auto and probably great for around time and off the lights.

Stunning technology. Works brilliantly.

BUT: yet another blow against direct driver involvement in the driving experience. It's so good it's boring. When I drive I want to feel as if I am in charge of the car and not simply piloting someone else's engineering achievement (which it certainly IS).

Great option for city driving but forget it for track thrills.

Cheers
'90 Audi ur quattro 20v Tornado Red
'15 VW Amarok Highline 4Motion auto
'99 BMW M5 E39 (For Sale, see TM)
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM K20A - Circuit race car
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM, Championship White
'15 Renault Megane 265 RS, Capsicum Red
'03 Porsche 911 996.2 C2, Black, full leather interior

RS ZWEI

Quote from: VB on November 07, 2006, 03:32:42 PM
Fair enough. Don't get me wrong I genuinely like r32s especially the 3 doors and they have come down in price a fair bit now. There's a 2003 r32 3dr manual on trade me asking $41,000 for 30,000 odd kms.

I like the look of the new s3 but then we weren't including that to be fair initially.

Simon's r32 sounded like it was definitely a great car and i would have loved it if I hadn't already purchased my s3.

DSG? Id give it the big miss! I took my Aunts MK5 GTI for a good drive last week and I cant be bothered with DSG. Like Greg (Audidude) says "another blow against direct driver involvement in the driving experience", I agree. An example of this was I have the car is sports mode to pass a car, put my foot to the floor and it turns out that there is the clicky bit at the end of the thottle throw like at auto, I had pushed pass this, its kicked down another gear, then instead of hitting the limter (not that I do that alot because its pointless) it decides it knows better than me and changes up, come on please, whos driving this car, the car or me ???

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

VB

Quote from: R32 ZipZap on November 07, 2006, 05:42:43 PM
I bought Simons R32, and yes its a mean car, the Schrick cams are awesome, even better now that the crap AMD chip job is removed, New ECU and a Custom Map later...it now is just begining to become a great car ! - remember its still N/A and drives signficantly better than a S3.
If you wanted a straightline sprinter get a S3, if you wanted a car to drive get a R32 imo. :P

You can't go wrong with 300hp in a na set up. I bet your r32 is a great staight line sprinter and remind me nerve to line up my s3 against it. What have the cams done? More top end, does it rev higher, more grunt down low? The 3 door shape is the best for the r32. Practicality be damned! What did a new ecu cost and who did your custom remap?

VB

Quote from: R32 ZipZap on November 07, 2006, 10:32:19 PM
So many questions dude .... ummm

Custom Map was done by Kurt from www.chiptuning.co.nz
ECU cost heaps, but Neil from CCS really looked after me, PM for for details
Schrick Cams  - well they are immense and well worth it, they lift its butt effortlessly from 2000rpm to Redline, provide more low end torque  and a very healthy torque curve
Straight Line Sprinter? - dunno...ummm I suppose so, but I dont get my kicks from 6000rpm launches, most have trouble following me

Just interested. Sounds like a fun car to drive and I'm not a big fan of high rev launches either as they are hard on clutches and the car in general.

rambo_005

gti vr6

Quote from: JimmyRoyale on July 13, 2006, 02:45:18 PM
IMHO...

I would go for the R32.

I definately favour naturally aspiratred as I like the way they drive and I think the R32 looks way better than an S3, which in reality is really just an angry shopping trolly...

;)   Ay Steve?    :P

Yep I'm with you.
In my opinion there is no contest. R32 all day every day!!!

1986 Mk2 Scirocco
2021 T6.1 4M LWB Transporter Trendline

Turbo

Quote from: rambo_005 on November 08, 2006, 12:39:22 PM
It would be cool if you had 500hp http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqr6cA9kO-w

that's the car you can buy on GT4 from HPA tuners, best value first car (like $30k or something)
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

cao

The latest Top Gear mag has a group test of the S3, R32 and 130i M.