Auto gearbox for A100

Started by John Stone, February 11, 2005, 06:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Stone

I had a guy come up to me at the servo tonight, said he was an Audi fan and did I know where he could get an auto box for his 100. I suggested Euroline, AA Wreckers and Pickapart in Takanini (200?? same box??). Any suggestions anyone.

John
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

Pushbutton_auto

Interesting, the Audis in Takanini, are an 80 (no fit), the V6 one not sure, different chassis, technically the box is worth more than the car. Getting them repaired and such is usually about $700-1000 !!! What sort of price is he willing to pay ?
Beating up parking wardens ain't a crime.

John Stone

Not sure what he would pay, says the car is very good, only the 'box needs attention.

John
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

orggti

this is THE reason al those 100s get dumped
If he pulls the box out him self it will cost about $1200 to rebuild the auto properly then he will need to spend $1500 on a new crown wheel and pinion or he will soon have a grinding diff.  Unless he LOVES this car its a dead duck. If the heater is broken as well its not worth the time and effort, and it will be. Audi know all about built in obselecence.

John Stone

Thanks for the replies fellas - I thought the same Jem, its a gonna.

John
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

Pushbutton_auto

Now if he wants to flick it off cheap, let me know. :)

orggti

Oh and yes it is the same box in a 200 as in a 100. Also what year is this 100 as some later ones 88 89 have a four speed auto and this is much better. If its one of these boxes it may be worth having somebdy look at it.

wilco

Actually not all 100 and 200 boxes are the same.? The 200's had a slightly higher final drive ratio than 100's, especially the earlier 3 speed ones that I know of.

If its just the auto bit thats stuffed then any/most auto's of same ilk will fit and work well.? I have sucessfully used 200 box on a 100, vice versa, a late kombi (vanagon) auto in a 200, and my recently removed auto from my '82 coupe is externally identical.

The trick is to first make sure the donor is ok as it's a shyte of a job to replace.? Another good bit of advice I was given is to re-use the shims from the original trans, not the donor and check and replace the trans/diff seal as applicable to make sure it wont leak in the future.? Also drain, flush, flush again and refill the diff.? Other than that I have had no problems.

The 'gear' ratio's are so close in most cases it makes no noticable difference in drivability.? I think one I did the max was 6% higher in 1st or something and the others were within 2-3%.? The first one I did used the whole trans from a 100 into an early 200 and it spun about 500 rpm higher at 100km/hr.? Didnt do much for an already marginal fuel mileage but sure got up on boost when ya needed it!

Need to know what you're up against if considering a swap and no I'm not offering....? 8)

orggti

Are you in auckland wilco? sounds like youve done loads of box swaping in audis.
Yea i wondered if the gearing would be different but i do know they fit and that the diffs are the same, which is what i was after in the end.

wilco

Nah I live in Taupo.  Did my sentence in Auck a few years ago.
My auto work stemmed from cost.  Couldnt see sense in 3k for a rebuild or even $1500 for a freshen up when I could buy a complete 100 for around $400-500 and swap things around.  My logic was that I could do 3 of them before I was up for the same cost minimum and the car itself was worth less than the trans fix.
The last 200 I did I ended up trading for my '89 200, which I sold just before Christmas.

The work is technically reasonably easy but need to do things carefully.  But you know all that....

Pushbutton_auto

What sort of time factor for removal of transmission,  Wilco ? A couple of hours ?, any little tips I could note for furture reference.

orggti

oh yes ive swaped three autos in 200s and yea its easy enough tecnically but a pain having to cut the exhaust and stuff. You can do it in a day easy enough if you dont muck around, that is pull two out and fit one back in. You will be very tired if your a scrawny runt like me tho :'( 

wilco

Jem's time estimates are ok, normally the first couple of hours is spent looking at the job building up courage.

A couple of tips; In a 100/200 at least its easier of you drop the subframe out. Gives a lot more room esp in a 200T.

Make up a frame that goes across the engine bay and tie the front of the engine to it.? This stops the engine dropping forward, thus lifting the trans up when you are trying to drop it down.

Autos are bloody heavy - dont try to carry it, gotta use a jack.

Moving the exhaust is a pain as Jem said.? Use neverseize on the nuts for next time.

orggti

I just cut through the exhaust i dont undo it all and yea you have to remove the sub frame on most of the older audis i work on for trans removal . this job was probly worth doing 5 years ago, its not now sadly. O,A,100's,M,D= old auto 100's must die is the mantra for these cars now. Hopefully it will make my 200tq worth more :D