Essential mods for daily driven A3 8P 2.0T FSI DSG

Started by freakykiwi, June 30, 2014, 10:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freakykiwi

Hi,
I have recently purchased an '07 A3 2.0T and am looking to do a select few mods to improve the car

My A3 has only done 40k and feels very tight but I am suffering from occasional wheel tramp which I understand is caused by the too soft engine mounts.  What mods would you consider to be essential to address this and otherwise improve the car as a daily driver?

It seems that the HPA interlock mount is one essential mod, I have also read positive reviews about the tyrolsport rigid subframe collar although I am not aware of any movement of my subframe yet.

After I have sorted this issue I may also consider a stage one tune, The superchips Bluefin looks to be the cheapest option at $900 although it has mixed reviews and is not the most powerful.

I would appreciate any feedback and opinions to help me spend my money wisely.

Thanks,
Matt
2007 Audi A3 2.0T FSI DSG
HPA Puck (75A), WALK, Whiteline rear bar,  Eibach pro-kit, Bilstein B8 Shocks, Whiteline/Nolathane arm bushings, 18" S3 alloys, SRP downpipe, BSH true seal intake, BSH PCV revamp, Superchips stage 2 ECU tune.

Fizz

freakykiwi

Thanks,
Yes I have read that thread but am looking for advice on which mods to do first.
HPA Puck (75A), WALK, Whiteline rear bar,  Eibach pro-kit, Bilstein B8 Shocks, Whiteline/Nolathane arm bushings, 18" S3 alloys, SRP downpipe, BSH true seal intake, BSH PCV revamp, Superchips stage 2 ECU tune.

slowmo

If you haven't already, i'd consider the following maintenance work:

- DSG service
- Cambelt, waterpump and cam follower replacement
- DV replacement

As for remapping, i've heard good things about the NZPT and Autopassion Stage2 tunes so consider those too.
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

Fizz

As slowmo has said for piece of mind i'd do what he's mentioned.
With regards to mods. Depends on how far you want to take it.
I'd do whiteline or APR anti lift kit, downpipe, intake, high pressure fuel pump and stage 2+ tune. Anything else is optional extra. By the sounds of it u want to tighten up the ride as well, so i'd look into shocks/springs or coilovers as well as VW Racing engine mounts.

BB

You guys love to waste money. Why not just drive it? Its only done 40ks.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

ranton-inc

Fizz

freakykiwi

Thanks guys,
I do plan on having the DSG serviced at my first service and will have the cam follower checked although I believe this car will have the revised cam.

I am very happy with the car and currently the wheel hop is my only real issue - an HPA dogbone mount is on it's way to address this.
The handling is fine considering the comfortable ride and I don't want to ruin that or increase NVH by going overboard with stiffer mounts and shocks.
What does the anti-loft kit achieve?

The power is adequate for the size of the car and despite being much less than I'm used to and is plenty fun to drive, I'd gladly take more power though.

handsco

Quote from: freakykiwi on July 02, 2014, 09:49:10 PM
Thanks guys,
I do plan on having the DSG serviced at my first service and will have the cam follower checked although I believe this car will have the revised cam.

I am very happy with the car and currently the wheel hop is my only real issue - an HPA dogbone mount is on it's way to address this.
The handling is fine considering the comfortable ride and I don't want to ruin that or increase NVH by going overboard with stiffer mounts and shocks.
What does the anti-loft kit achieve?

The power is adequate for the size of the car and despite being much less than I'm used to and is plenty fun to drive, I'd gladly take more power though.

Make sure you do!! the previous owner of mine didn't & now i'm paying the price. The mechatronics unit burnt out and somethings actually physically wrong in the gearbox too. Continental in newmarket and trying to help me out with it, but we're $5k deep and work on the gearbox hasn't even begun (a new mechatronics unit is $3,200+GST from Conti = don't believe any of these shady pricks that say they can repair them either, that's their way of luring your car in to sit there in pieces whilst they con you in to replacing it altogether at a much higher markup)

And seriously, when it gets to 100k. burn it. this DSG box is the worst thing i've ever had to do financially to any of my cars (including two 5L SC Range rovers) I've got the 3.2 DSG so maybe the mecha is more expensive idk but if I were you. i would bin that car at 100k or get the gearbox swapped for a manual.

Just my two cents. In saying this when mine comes back from continental a long path of replacing damning EVERYTHING will begin.

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro S

freakykiwi

Bad luck with the DSG, I am aware of the issues with these which is why I dropped $2.5k on a comprehensive euro warranty, that and every European car I have owned has caused me trouble.

Regarding the suggested maintenance my DV seems to be performing fine ?t present but what is the recommended replacement, the OE d revision seems to leak from new and the newer g version uses a diaphragm so will eventually fail too.

Has anyone tried the GFB dv+ upgrade to the factory dv?

JPK

I would go in a car with the HPA mount first. I've been wanting to take mine out but a new factory mount only goes in from the top (subframe removal). It's good for performance but NVH is quite bad for a daily driver. I have the 85 durometer one.
Try the cheaper (and easily removable) insert first. See if you're happy, then go from there.
A3 8P Sportback 2.0T DSG
- Progress Diary -

freakykiwi

Thanks,
I have gone for the 75 for that reason so hopefully NVH will not be too bad.
I am hoping to get it installed next week.

freakykiwi

HPA mount was installed last week and I'm very happy with it.
With the 75 durometer at least I am happy with NVH and actually like the extra feeling I get from the engine.
Unfortunately I still have more wheel hop than I would like although it is much less violent with shorter oscillations than before the mount.
I am booked in to have the WALK and front control arm bushing installed which should sort it.

It's a slippery slope this.

GLIDN

Quote from: freakykiwi on July 24, 2014, 01:57:36 PM
HPS mount was installed last week and I'm very happy with it.
With the 75 durometer at least I am happy with NVH and actually like the extra feeling I get from the engine.
Unfortunately I still have more wheel hop than I would like although it is much less violent with shorter oscillations than before the mount.
I am booked in to have the WALK and front control arm bushing installed which should sort it.

It's a slippery slope this.

Look at the complete arm replacement kit.
Will reduce unsprung weight also provide new bushes as well as adjustable ball joint.

Be careful with the whiteline units. I have seen first hand the bushing split in half.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

freakykiwi

From what I've read the bushings were changed or redesigned last year so we'll see how these go.

I've only had a short drive since picking up but I can't believe how much difference this had made.  There's so much more grip, no wheelhop, amazing cornering and no noticible change in comfort at all.

I am finally not regretting buying a front wheel drive.

freakykiwi

Since my last post i have had also had the rear trailing arm front bushings replaced with the nolathane kit and a Whiteline rear sway bar fitted.
I'm really happy with the handling now and have had no issues with oversteer yet with the bar on medium, it's amazing hw much better the car corners now.
The bushings have tightened things up a lot but do add more NVH than I would like on rougher roads and the coarse chip that was recently used to reseal my street.

Anyway I am considering fitting a set I Eibach Pro-Kit springs to reduce the overly large arch gap bug don't know what my axle weights are to order the correct part as he plate in the engine bay reads 0000kg.
Can someone confirm whether I need 1065kg or 1155kg springs for the front?
Both options come up for the 2.0T FWD, I would assume that the heavier rating is for the DSG which I do have?

Fizz

Quote from: freakykiwi on May 10, 2015, 09:36:03 PM
Anyway I am considering fitting a set I Eibach Pro-Kit springs to reduce the overly large arch gap bug don't know what my axle weights are to order the correct part as he plate in the engine bay reads 0000kg.
Can someone confirm whether I need 1065kg of 1155kg for the front?
Both options come up for the 2.0T FWD, I would assume that the heavier rating is for the DSG which I do have?
correct, DSG would be 1155kg Manual is 1065kg :)

freakykiwi

I have ordered and received the Eibach pro-kit from a German seller on e-bay.  These cost me less than NZ $250 landed which i'm very happy with.
I have just realised that the springs are for an 8P1 (3 door), not my 8PA (sportback).
Is there any difference? The axle load ratings are correct so should be OK?

GLIDN

Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning