.:R32 Manual or DSG

Started by GolfGeek, July 12, 2006, 11:58:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GolfGeek

Hi Guys,

I am looking at getting a R32, and took both the manual and DSG for a test drive. Currently I am leaning towards the DSG transmission. The purists among you are probably saying why would you even consider the DSG.

The reason I like the DSG is because I can flick it over to Auto when I am stuck in lovely Auckland traffic with the option to rip the SH!T by flicking it to DSG.

Comments please

timmay

Manual all the way...but if u lazy enough to take the DSG then go for it  :P

Personal preference I guess...wot happens when u get out of AKL traffic and on an open road? Will u still be happy with DSG?
2001 Porsche Boxster S: Meridian Silver| De-Ambered | De-Snorkled Intake
2003 VW Golf R32 | 2009 BMW Z4 sDrive35i | 2007 BMW 130i SE MSport | 1999 Honda S2000 | 2003 Mazda RX8 Type-S | 2000 VW Golf GTi | 1998 Mazda MX5 RS

cao

I drove a DSG R32 I would go DSG best of both worlds

GolfGeek

Found this interesting video of a test between GTI DSG and 6-Speed Manual

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmMNRQ1GJ3o

The DSG wins every time.

timmay

Personally...I don't think there is anything better than shifting urself
2003 VW Golf R32 | 2009 BMW Z4 sDrive35i | 2007 BMW 130i SE MSport | 1999 Honda S2000 | 2003 Mazda RX8 Type-S | 2000 VW Golf GTi | 1998 Mazda MX5 RS

cao

Have you driven a DSG golf? your still in complete control if you want to be

Turbo

Quote from: cao on July 12, 2006, 01:15:42 PM

even more control, you don't have a moment of not being in gear.
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

GTI's

DSG!   ;)   I've been for a ride in a GTI DSG and was super impressed!

No one can change gear that fast!

timmay

Yea I have...not a R32, but a DSG none the less.

Its nothing to do with being in control or the speed of gear changing, its just more fun and involving changing ur own gears...but like I said, thats just my personal preference.

vamr

Have YOU been in a dsg golf? If you have you would know there is no complete manual mode, either way it still self-shifts on you.

Subsequently I chose manual as the way to go. Although the dsg was nice, especially for the morning traffic I started to miss traditional transmission.  ;)

cao

Quote from: cao on July 12, 2006, 12:30:12 PM
I drove a DSG R32 I would go DSG best of both worlds

I didn't get to open it up but from what I have read it will kick down if you arn't in the power when you floor it and that it will only change up when you hit the limter?

Quote from: Audi World TT DSGThe beauty of the Euro-spec TCM is that now, Manual mode is truly Manual as the DSG will hold a gear around 7000 RPM until you upshift, and not upshift *for you*.
Are NZ not Euro Spec

Simon MkII

DSG. I wouldn't want to own one once it's out of warranty though.
Mazda Mx5

faslam

I owned a DSG GTI for two weeks before upgrading to a manual R32. I found the DSG worked really well with the GTI but in the R32 I found it lacked real feel and involvement so I opted for manual second time round plus I did start missing the feel of changing gears manually....you just feel so much more in control and it takes a lot more skill.

12ax7

Quote from: GolfGeek on July 12, 2006, 11:58:13 AM
Hi Guys,

I am looking at getting a R32, and took both the manual and DSG for a test drive. Currently I am leaning towards the DSG transmission. The purists among you are probably saying why would you even consider the DSG.

The reason I like the DSG is because I can flick it over to Auto when I am stuck in lovely Auckland traffic with the option to rip the SH!T by flicking it to DSG.

Comments please
Tried DSG hated it. I find if you've got bags of power/torque ( Oettinger S3 370NM torque ) then gearchanging in Akld traffic is minimal anyway.

hitmanGTI

Quote from: cao on July 12, 2006, 05:33:28 PM
I didn't get to open it up but from what I have read it will kick down if you arn't in the power when you floor it and that it will only change up when you hit the limter?

Lol

My XR6 will only Shift from say 6th to third if you push the pedal right to the very very very bottom of the floor where the kick down button is..

other than that.. it wont crap up a gear untill i tell it to..

GTI's

Did you say XR6 on here?  you should be shot!     

hitmanGTI

Quote from: BDmk2 on July 18, 2006, 08:01:41 PM
Did you say XR6 on here?  you should be shot!     

XR6 XR6 XR6 XR6 XR6 XR6 XR6 XR6 XR6 XR6 XR6 XR6 XR6 XR6 XR6 XR6 XR6 XR6 XR6 XR6 XR6 XR6 XR6 XR6

Turbo

speaking of which, for some reason XR6 turbo drivers always want to drag me off ... is this the case for anyone else? it's happened a number of times.

normally the S4 is such a sleeper that no one bothers, so i'm thinking that XR6 owners must have considered buying an S4 when shopping for their car and just want to justify their decision.

...  must have felt stink when they all had their asses handed to them.
8)
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

hitmanGTI

Quote from: Turbo on July 18, 2006, 11:03:35 PM

...  must have felt stink when they all had their asses handed to them.
8)

you Audi Drivers are all the same..

Turbo