Anyone having trouble with MMI 2G DVD drives worn out and not reading discs?

Started by portmanteau, September 22, 2014, 10:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

portmanteau

If you read my other thread, I have needed to source a brand new Fujitsu DVD drive mechanism from Asia to fix a Navigation unit that was sold to me as part of a retrofit kit by a villain in Queensland. He stated it had a new drive mechanism, but in fact contained a worn-out used example

I decided to import a small quantity of mechs, as it's likely others are having problems with their MMI-2G High Navi units as well as me?

Flick me a PM if you would like to buy a mechanism please.  Very easy to replace, and if you have a borderline/fussy drive that is always giving errors or needing the laser cleaned repeatedly, then this is a good long-term fix.  I can provide basic instructions how to swap the part, as long as you are fussy and careful you should be fine

Genuine drives by Fujitsu, exactly as fitted by Becker in Germany when the units were new

Possibly even worth keeping one as a spare for when yours fails, which it almost definitely will, one day. It appears that there might be a design fault which results in the brass worm gear that carries the laser mechanism wearing out at the end where it runs in a nylon bushing

Photo attached
'94 S2 Avant N300 Nothelle, '94 S2 Sedan '84 urq,'80 Golf GTI replica, '83 Rocco GTI, '99 TT, '07 Q7, '99 S4 Avant, '86 90Q, '63 DKW Junior, other non-VAG collectibles, & 2 lonely 200Q

portmanteau

'94 S2 Avant N300 Nothelle, '94 S2 Sedan '84 urq,'80 Golf GTI replica, '83 Rocco GTI, '99 TT, '07 Q7, '99 S4 Avant, '86 90Q, '63 DKW Junior, other non-VAG collectibles, & 2 lonely 200Q