Steering wheel spline sizes between Mk1 & Mk2?

Started by sifty, September 12, 2014, 07:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sifty

So I bought a steering wheel that was on a Mk1 Scirocco, which I figured would fit straight on my Mk1.

But, the spline bore on my car is about  17mm and the spline on the Scirocco wheel is more like 26mm.

(Yes I realise somewhere between these two steps is when I should've actually stopped to check this)

So I bought an aftermarket boss for a Mk1 - Which also has a 26mm spline.

My question then is - What boss kit do I actually need? MK2? And is this normal on a Mk1? 

Was there some changeover year when the sizing changed? I can't seem to find any reliable information on it.

Cheers,
Si.

albert7550

From around 1988 mk1 and mk2 wheels have big spline. Mk1s like my 1992 cabby have a spline adaptor to convert small to big spline. Quite easily obtainble from vwheritage etc.
2014 Audi S3
1992 VW Golf mk1 GTi Cabriolet
1970 Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1.3S

albert7550

You can see the adaptor in this picture - red arrow
2014 Audi S3
1992 VW Golf mk1 GTi Cabriolet
1970 Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1.3S

ranton-inc

sifty

Quote from: ranton on September 12, 2014, 09:55:56 AM
Sifty i have a Spline if you need one.

Hi Ranton, Yes I would thanks! How much do you want for it?

long story short, but the people I bought the aftermarket boss kit from happily exchanged it for a different one that does fit... But... It's a total piece of crap. The first one they sent was constructed like a cheap version of a Momo, crumple area made of bent up welded steel. The 2nd one, is cast out of some sort of crapty metal mixed with cheese or something. I would be genuinely afraid it was going to break if I turned too fast. 

Snoopy

Is there anyone with an adaptor like the one pictured, that they would be happy to part with?

ranton-inc

I used to have one. However these can be easily retrieved from Mk3 golfs also.

Pickapart usually has a few kicking around

Snoopy

Do most Mk3's have them? Or is there a specific year to look out for?

ranton-inc