Why no category for Q5 Q7 etc? ... plus an actual Q7 Post!

Started by portmanteau, October 10, 2014, 08:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

portmanteau

Seems to be a forum category missing? ;)

Opinions please.....

I am almost finished repair of an accident damaged Q7 as a daily driver

It was a pre-facelift, non-S-line 4.2 FSI with a very high spec. Might as well have been S-line as far as interior trim goes

Now it will be, to all intents and purposes, "facelift spec", and "S-line".  Replaced bumpers with 2013 S-line versions, and also upgraded to LED lights front and rear

I will still be leaving the lower door trim panels original parts. On the S-line they are a smooth plastic, and painted body colour.  On my car they are matt dark grey unpainted plastic with a textured finish

Should I paint the trims?   The car is black

I'm undecided, but inclined to think the matt plastic easily looks dirty and also looks too much like an Allroad (I hate Allroads with a passion) ;)

Here's a pic of a late car with painted trims, and another of an early base model with the unpainted plastic. Admittedly mine will not be smooth, but textured, and black

I'm adding the small arch lips, too, and the same question applies to those?

'94 S2 Avant N300 Nothelle, '94 S2 Sedan '84 urq,'80 Golf GTI replica, '83 Rocco GTI, '99 TT, '07 Q7, '99 S4 Avant, '86 90Q, '63 DKW Junior, other non-VAG collectibles, & 2 lonely 200Q

VW'n

06 B6 Passat Wagon 2L Turbo (Family Wagon)
87 Mk2 Golf silver (the toy)
95 mk3 gti rusty ABF (Sold)
86 Mk2 Golf red (sold)
89 Mk2 Golf blue (sold)
85 Mk2 Golf GTI silver (parted)

portmanteau

Quote from: VW'n on October 10, 2014, 08:43:12 PM
I vote Paint them.

I think you will be in the majority :)

I guess the painters will be able to use a hi-fill sort of primer to make the texture as light as possible?

What about the arch lips?  They are usually left unpainted, even on the latest cars, I think
'94 S2 Avant N300 Nothelle, '94 S2 Sedan '84 urq,'80 Golf GTI replica, '83 Rocco GTI, '99 TT, '07 Q7, '99 S4 Avant, '86 90Q, '63 DKW Junior, other non-VAG collectibles, & 2 lonely 200Q