B8 Passat TDI help/advice

Started by BCE, January 31, 2024, 05:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BCE

Hey Vask

First time poster, short time reader  :D. I'm hoping for some wisdom from Passat B8 TDI owners. I'm beginning my look a new car (new to me) and I have narrowed it down to the above. My query is around the differences between the BITDI 176kw version and the 140kw single turbo TDI. My heart says BITDI and my head says TDI. Do any owners have any comments regarding the fuel efficiency, reliability, cost of repair etc.
For further context, my commute is 155km per day which is ideal for diesels and predominantly in 100km zones.
Thanks in advance and any and all comments welcome.

B5Passat

I don't know about the 140kw tdi versions but I have a bitdi b8 and I've only had one issue with it which was a sticky turbo actuator which only cost around $50 to sort out. I've had the car for a couple years replacing a B7 passat and it's been reliable the whole time. For a year and half I traveled from Taupo to Hamilton and back at least once a week as well.Fuel efficiency seems good, around 1100 km range when tank is full.

BCE

Thanks B5

Good to get a better idea of the real world consumption. Do you get 1100kms with a mix of town and open road? Are you light/heavy footed?
Any comments about the sound insulation as well? I've currently got a BMW 5 series which is a pretty nice drive all round and probably the quietest car I've owned. 

B5Passat

Mostly on the open road do I get the high kms and if I'm not going on some back road going fast. Generally I find it that it gives a good fuel consumption.
Regarding sound insulation, sometimes it sounds like a tractor but when out and about it's not too bad and on the motorways or open road I didn't hear the engine as much. Interior wise driving around town or in a city it's very quiet but I find it's a bit noisy with creaks from the interior on our bumpy roads. Probably doesn't help that my car is lowered on Eibach springs.

harlansmart

+1 on what B5Passat has said - i.e. follow your heart  ;D

Driving carefully you will best 1275km from the AWD B8 176kW tank if you try i.e. drive to Timaru from Auckland and not have to fill up. Our FWD B6 125kW (mapped to 150kW) did a few tanks bettering 1590kms - truly impressive and could go to Dunno's and still drive around a bit before needing to fill up!

Does the 140kW version get the same DQ500 box as the 176kW & 206kW models ?

BCE

Thanks Harlan although my heart does get me into trouble from time to time...  :D 
That's pretty wild as to how efficient they can be. I did have thoughts of getting the 140kw tuned as then it's on par with the 175kw version in terms of power to weight ratio but I think I'm erring towards the 175kw especially if it gets over 1000km per tank. My Bimmer is running at just under 10 lp100k's and while I love it, I see the Passat as fast enough, comfortable enough and way more efficient (plus hopefully lower running costs).

The 140kw version has the DQ250 mostly. I believe that in 2017 sometime they changed to the DQ381.

GLIDN

Quote from: BCE on February 12, 2024, 08:56:57 PMThanks Harlan although my heart does get me into trouble from time to time...  :D 
That's pretty wild as to how efficient they can be. I did have thoughts of getting the 140kw tuned as then it's on par with the 175kw version in terms of power to weight ratio but I think I'm erring towards the 175kw especially if it gets over 1000km per tank. My Bimmer is running at just under 10 lp100k's and while I love it, I see the Passat as fast enough, comfortable enough and way more efficient (plus hopefully lower running costs).

The 140kw version has the DQ250 mostly. I believe that in 2017 sometime they changed to the DQ381.

the bi Turbo 176kw has a MQ500 (very odd, only VAG car I've come across this specific gearbox)

This is going to sound odd, but since I have done 3 weeks of driving (1800kms) a 2015 320D and now a 2011 BMW 335D. both vehicle's fuel efficiency trumps most of the VAG world diesel's. Would I be happy owning and daily driving a BMW? short answer... NO.

For fuel efficiency, the 320D managed open road of 4.3L/100kms (not cruising either) around town, etc was 6L/100kms. For the 335D I have done a little over 800km's thus far. averaging 7.9L/100kms, so far got it down to 6.9L/100kms. It's certainly very different power delivery. 100% nicer car to drive compared to a 335i (don't care how much power can be made in these)

But then saying drove a 640HP Audi RS3 for 3.5 weeks. the open road I got it down to 7.6L/100kms and if I want to use the power, I could average 32.8L/100kms :P 

Overall between the 140 or 176kw variant, stick with the 176kw variant if you can find a nice tidy one in the spec you want. Awesome cars, awesome to drive and have some fun factor to them. Oddly don't really drive like a tank.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning