Metal water pipe- extra outlet

Started by GolfJon, November 17, 2014, 02:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GolfJon

Hi guys
I bought a new metal water pipe for my Mk2 to replace the rusty and leaky old one.
It is not exactly the same as the original, it has an extra outlet just after the water pump, where the metal pipe runs behind the oil filter before looping its way around the block and back to the heater and expansion tank.
Obviously something needs to be connected here before I refill the system, I was thinking some sort of blanking plug, rubber, so that I can seal it off using a normal hose clamp.
Anyone have any idea where I might get such a thing or have come across this before?

Was wondering what on earth it would connect to if it was used for something.
Further up the metal pipe, there is another outlet of the same size which joins from the base of the expansion tank. I guess I could run two hoses from a t-piece to both of the outlets on the metal pipe, cant see that this would cause issues, just means extra pipework.
Mk2 Golf CLi Auto-. Manual 020 conversion...done but still in bits...
2005 VW Lt35 campervan-high emissions diesel!
Wife's car '71 1302s Super Beetle
'08 Mk5 wagon 2.0 Tsi

M M

I think it's for the oil cooler, if you car didn't have one then that's why it's extra here. I would try Partmaster or Autostop for a blanking cap, I would think they'd have something. Otherwise your two hose idea should work.
Bought not built.

ranton-inc

Quote from: GolfJon on November 17, 2014, 02:25:21 PM
Hi guys
I bought a new metal water pipe for my Mk2 to replace the rusty and leaky old one.
It is not exactly the same as the original, it has an extra outlet just after the water pump, where the metal pipe runs behind the oil filter before looping its way around the block and back to the heater and expansion tank.
Obviously something needs to be connected here before I refill the system, I was thinking some sort of blanking plug, rubber, so that I can seal it off using a normal hose clamp.
Anyone have any idea where I might get such a thing or have come across this before?

Was wondering what on earth it would connect to if it was used for something.
Further up the metal pipe, there is another outlet of the same size which joins from the base of the expansion tank. I guess I could run two hoses from a t-piece to both of the outlets on the metal pipe, cant see that this would cause issues, just means extra pipework.

Connect up a hose to it and bung it off. with a Barbed plug.

GolfJon

Thanks guys, will give that a go cheers
'08 Mk5 wagon 2.0 Tsi

GolfJon

Update, so neither Partmaster or Automotive Supplies on the Shore could supply a coolant hose blank, so running out of ideas went into Bunnings and found a plastic stopper with a barbed end from an irrigation system of all things. Its 19mm and when forced into a 15mm hose and held down with a hose clamp either end, its easily as secure as any of the other hose connections.

As you can see its right up close to the oil filter, also because of the angle it sits at I had to attach it and the hose to the thermostat to the metal pipe before fitting to the car in one go. Its a right fiddle getting it in with the oil filter in place so I maybe should have done an oil change whilst in there but I just wanted it done.
I also took the opportunity to paint the upper cambelt cover, not perfect but a quick once over with some black engine enamel smartens it up a lot. Will do rocker cover next after my rubber rocker cover gasket arrives from the UK.

All fitted up with belts tightened, just the rad top and bottom hoses to connect now.

'08 Mk5 wagon 2.0 Tsi