Mk3 Serious engine issue, VR6

Started by nzgti8v, December 02, 2014, 08:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nzgti8v

Hi Guys,

Tonight on the way home going 100k on the motorway my Golf suddenly lost power, it could not maintain 100k, got down to 70k, was still slowing down.. managed to get off the motorway on the next off ramp.. at the same time the engine became really noisy .. worse than a diesel.

Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1j1zOhcgZ8&feature=youtu.be

Anyone have a clue as to what might have happened? I suspect timing chain guides etc, perhaps the chain jumped and put the timing out, car is running really lumpy and can barely move under its own power now.

Trofeo

2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

redvr6

Happened to mine - sounded like someone was hitting it with a BFH. Timing chain guides gone!
Deep Blue Pearl Mk5 R32
<sold>Tornado Red Mk3 VR6</sold>

davestokes

I always wondered how it would sound if my chain went. Sounds like a turbo prop

nzgti8v

Quote from: RedVR6 on December 03, 2014, 06:41:02 AM
Happened to mine - sounded like someone was hitting it with a BFH. Timing chain guides gone!

Hmmm did you have to replace upper and lower ones?
It looks like changing the top one isn't too bad, but the bottom one looks to be a case of remove the gearbox.

redvr6

Bent valves, etc. Put another engine in it - with new guides!
Deep Blue Pearl Mk5 R32
<sold>Tornado Red Mk3 VR6</sold>

nzgti8v

I started pulling the engine apart.
But theres 1x 6mm hex bolt I can't get to so that the timing cover will come off.
I need a really slimline wrench, which I will have to get.
I can see a hairline crack in the guide when I shine a torch down.

Do these cam lobes look unusually worn?

VR6REAPER

i had the same problem. did your engine come to a complete stop? if so wen my vr6 did this one of the bottom end bearings shims had gone. i just put a new motor in. but played with the head a little on the rebuild

nzgti8v

The engine was still running, just sounded terrible.
but since then I have replaced the chains and guides etc, cars running fine again.. after a lot of work