Weird break-down

Started by Smacca, December 14, 2014, 05:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smacca

Hey guys,

Last night I was driving along and then all of a sudden my lights turned off, radio turned off... No power. I stopped and pulled over. Now when I turn it on the dash lights come up as they always do but no accessories, no windows etc. when I try to start it there's nothing, I can here the fuel pump priming but that's it. I tried to jump it, still nothing.  :)

Does anyone have any advice? I was assuming my alternator might be a little tired, thus dead battery as well??  :-\

1989 VW Golf GTI 16v

Cheers, Tyler
1989 Volkswagen Golf GTI 16V

VW'n

Check fues and battery earth's. ?
06 B6 Passat Wagon 2L Turbo (Family Wagon)
87 Mk2 Golf silver (the toy)
95 mk3 gti rusty ABF (Sold)
86 Mk2 Golf red (sold)
89 Mk2 Golf blue (sold)
85 Mk2 Golf GTI silver (parted)

Smacca

Quote from: VW'n on December 14, 2014, 05:31:26 PM
Check fues and battery earth's. ?
Yeah it's earthed to the car but my gearbox earth has never been bolted on, it just sits there. ?? What size bolt would that be? ???

VW'n

My gearbox is earthed  with a strap from the top of the gearbox bracket with a 13mm nut to the chassis at the base of battery.
hmm I know with digi2 bad earth's cause all sorts of issues, blown ecu etc.
Not sure if it's the same with the kjet on your car.
Could come take a look this week if you don't have any luck.
Not that I'm a Wizz but some times a different perspective is good.
06 B6 Passat Wagon 2L Turbo (Family Wagon)
87 Mk2 Golf silver (the toy)
95 mk3 gti rusty ABF (Sold)
86 Mk2 Golf red (sold)
89 Mk2 Golf blue (sold)
85 Mk2 Golf GTI silver (parted)

black16v

Could be faulty ignition switch if starter is not working or relief relay (2nd one in from the left on the bottom row just above row of fuses).? The ignition switch has two ignition outputs. One of them is "15" which powers up fuel pump , ign coil etc etc and the other "X" powers up relief relay which powers up accessories like headlights, radio etc. When the ign switch is turned to cranking position "15" stays connected but "X" drops out , I guess to drop out headlights etc if they are on to supply max power to starter solenoid.  (Hard to fault find without seeing the car.)
1988 MK II GTI 16V

GolfJon

I actually think your original diagnosis is correct. if the alt packs up, the car will run for a short while longer until the battery is flat.  Then nothing.Hence why if you try to jump it, it wont run because the battery wont charge without the alternator. You will probably find if you can fully charge the battery, it will start and run ok for a while, but only until the battery is flat again.
I would confirm this before looking at fuses and loose earths. I have a spare alt if you wish to try it.
Mk2 Golf CLi Auto-. Manual 020 conversion...done but still in bits...
2005 VW Lt35 campervan-high emissions diesel!
Wife's car '71 1302s Super Beetle
'08 Mk5 wagon 2.0 Tsi

slowburn

def ignition switch,had the same thing happen for a while,not quite as bad,but that fixed it no worries...could be worth a look
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

Smacca

Thanks for all of the help guys, it was the ignition switch. I was able to bypass it to get it started and that's how I knew. All sorted and fixed now.  :)