Q7 Air Suspension - a question

Started by portmanteau, January 20, 2015, 12:04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

portmanteau

It's real cheap and easy to drop the Q7 by adding links that fool the adaptive air suspension into thinking it's higher than it really is, and they do look good dropped by 50 mm or more

I can't help wondering though if it might open up a can of worms like the notorious airbag "chafing" failures on the early Allroads, that didn't like being run all the time on the lowest setting?

Is the design of the bags so much improved now that running on a permanent low setting would do no harm, anybody know?

(ps: I hate the Allroad with a passion. Whatever were Audi thinking!)
'94 S2 Avant N300 Nothelle, '94 S2 Sedan '84 urq,'80 Golf GTI replica, '83 Rocco GTI, '99 TT, '07 Q7, '99 S4 Avant, '86 90Q, '63 DKW Junior, other non-VAG collectibles, & 2 lonely 200Q

beeker

Quote from: portmanteau on January 20, 2015, 12:04:13 PM
It's real cheap and easy to drop the Q7 by adding links that fool the adaptive air suspension into thinking it's higher than it really is, and they do look good dropped by 50 mm or more

I can't help wondering though if it might open up a can of worms like the notorious airbag "chafing" failures on the early Allroads, that didn't like being run all the time on the lowest setting?

Is the design of the bags so much improved now that running on a permanent low setting would do no harm, anybody know?

(ps: I hate the Allroad with a passion. Whatever were Audi thinking!)

Assuming the Q7 is the same as the Touareg, you can also do it electronically with a black box which tricks the ECU on its current height.

Even better (and cheaper) I found an article on the Allroad that also applied to the Touareg which allows a ECU adjustment of the corner right height. You can very quickly tell the car its sitting higher than what it actually is, by say 20mm, and bingo, lowered.
14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

portmanteau

Quote from: beeker on January 20, 2015, 08:49:54 PM
Assuming the Q7 is the same as the Touareg, you can also do it electronically with a black box which tricks the ECU on its current height.

Even better (and cheaper) I found an article on the Allroad that also applied to the Touareg which allows a ECU adjustment of the corner right height. You can very quickly tell the car its sitting higher than what it actually is, by say 20mm, and bingo, lowered.

controller tweak will only give 20mm max though? Question remains, will this lowering lead to an early death for the airbags?
'94 S2 Avant N300 Nothelle, '94 S2 Sedan '84 urq,'80 Golf GTI replica, '83 Rocco GTI, '99 TT, '07 Q7, '99 S4 Avant, '86 90Q, '63 DKW Junior, other non-VAG collectibles, & 2 lonely 200Q