got a Mk4 Golf GTi

Started by nzgti8v, March 21, 2015, 08:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nzgti8v

Quote from: slowmo on April 15, 2015, 10:27:43 AM
good job on the tips, is it only the tips that are remus or is the exhaust done up too?

sorry to hear about the heater core, but looks like you are on your way to sorting it  :(

It appears that I have about a 2.5inch cat back exhaust with Remus muffler.

nzgti8v

Today I replaced the N75 Valve and DV Valve.
The N75 was a genuine Vag product.
The DV Claimed to be genuine but seemed too cheap.

Sure enough, after 10 mins of this this happened. (fell apart, when I put my foot down, the inside part fell onto the road, as did the spring, found them and had a slow drive home.

Fizz

Where'd u get the dv from? Just get 1 from the dearlership, less hassles and not expensive in the grand scheme of things

nzgti8v

Quote from: Fizz on April 26, 2015, 09:41:06 PM
Where'd u get the dv from? Just get 1 from the dearlership, less hassles and not expensive in the grand scheme of things

Hehe yeah it was an Ebay special, got a real one on its way now.

It had the Audi logo on it etc, but the fact it came in some envelope from China tells all..

nzgti8v

Gave the car a clean today and cleaned the wheels using some "Dragons Breath" wheel cleaner.

Before:

During: (Chemical Reaction, iron particles turning into a purple liquid).

After:

(shows my entire aging fleet of euro cars).

nzgti8v

New DV Installed, this time one that works.
Car instantly driving nicer and not popping/backfiring when easing off throttle anymore.

Clutch was showing signs of failure, slipping in 3rd gear under full power.. (has been like this a while, but now that the cars running 100% its worse).

Removed gearbox and clutch (broke bolt on gearbox mount, refused to undo and snapped)
Pressure plate has a finger busted off.
Have already imported a new LUK oem clutch including dual mass flywheel.

Noticed water leak from metal pipe to heater hose.

Fizz

Quote from: nzgti8v on May 19, 2015, 10:09:59 PM
New DV Installed, this time one that works.
Car instantly driving nicer and not popping/backfiring when easing off throttle anymore.

Clutch was showing signs of failure, slipping in 3rd gear under full power.. (has been like this a while, but now that the cars running 100% its worse).

Removed gearbox and clutch (broke bolt on gearbox mount, refused to undo and snapped)
Pressure plate has a finger busted off.
Have already imported a new LUK oem clutch including dual mass flywheel.

Noticed water leak from metal pipe to heater hose.
Replace the rear main oil seal and gearbox seal etc. while it's out. Will save you the pain later.

nzgti8v

Cars back together.

The old clutch

Annoyingly the water pipe is a problem, braised it, leaked again soon after somewhere else, braised it a second time, was ok under pressure for 20 mins and leaked again somewhere else yet again

Its the pipe that looks the same as:

So I ordered one from ebay, as its cheap, has to be better than the worn out one

nzgti8v

Today I've been trying to remove the hard metal coolant pipe

This is the attempted repair, which didn't work at all :)

I've removed the 3 Bolts that hold it on to the engine along with the hoses, however the part where it goes into the engine block, how do I remove that? do I just used a lot of force and pull it out?

nzgti8v

The golf lives again!
Got to 200,000k today too.. milestone hehe

nzgti8v

The Golf is still working, have clocked up 10,000km's in it now, ( in 6 Months).
I had a 3inch Downpipe installed last week and a few months back I installed a Remapped ECU (Stage 1)

Have replaced all the boost hoses, only got around to doing this the other day even though I have had them for ages.
I replaced all the Vac hoses some time ago also.

I have a newsouthperformance boost gauge to install, with a steering wheel surround to install it in, so must get around to doing that.

The car usually runs fine, but after driving it for a while it sometimes does this strange stutter/surge, where by if you accelerate , the car acts like you have taken your foot off the accelerator suddenly, despite this not being the case.
I'm not sure why it does this, but it doesn't always happen either. (It has done this intermittently since day 1).

Now and then it feels like its not pulling smoothly under full power in 3rd gear on wards (has done this since day 1 also).

So I know its not the Remapped ECU causing this, perhaps the ignition amp or coils are to blame, but i hate buying parts when I don't know if it will help or not.

But it seems to be when the cars been driven for a good 40 mins or so before hand.

My scanner shows no error codes at all.

Fizz

u cleaned the throttlebody and MAF? had similiar issues with a dirty throttle body. Run some injector cleaner through ur system as well. Also what DV are u running? OEM or Forge? had weird crap with the Forge DV causing surging and shuddering.

nzgti8v

Yeah I replaced the DV a few months back, genuine OEM type. (With the original one the car would back fire on decel).

I totally cleaned out the throttle body not long after I got the car (6 Months ago), it still looked clean when installing the samco hoses last weekend, of course I could re-clean it again I guess.

I re-cleaned the MAF over the weekend, but had also done that a few months back (CRC MAF Cleaner Spray).
Tried fuel injector cleaner a month ago or so and replaced fuel filter.

I also went over all electrical connectors with contact cleaner spray last weekend, didn't use the car today, so will see how it goes tomorrow during my 80km daily commute.

nzgti8v

Car has been running perfectly since upgrading Turbo to a K03S, no more issues of any kind and its now faster.