Q7

Started by Stickman, March 22, 2015, 09:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stickman

Been looking at a new car for my wife. Despite only having one 2 year old and a half cooked daughter on the way, for some reason she has it in her head that she needs a 7 seater. Tried my hardest to try and get her to consider a station wagon so that I could add a B8 RS4 to the garage, but she sat in it once and declared the back seats too small. In the end, got the short list down to:

1) 2012+ Prado VX.
2) 2012+ Land Rover Discovery 3.0 diesel
3) 2012+ Audi Q7 3.0tdi (180kw)
4) 2012+ Audi Q7 4.2tdi.

Test drove back to back the 3.0tdi and 4.2tdi Q7 today, got to say...3.0tdi felt a little bit more responsive than the 4.2 tdi. Admittedly, the 3.0 was a 2014 and the 4.2 was a 2012, but got to say that the 3.0 with the 8 stage box would be my choice between the two! I really thought that the 4.2tdi would feel "gruntier" than it did. Got the short list down to the 180kw Q7 and the new Prado.

Funnily enough, if it was me, I would not be giving up the old 1996 Prado. The thing is an absolute tank and just gets on with the job. I genuinely enjoy taking it out for a cruise - whether on the road, or a dirt track (or on no track at all!). I have put that truck into some awkward/dodgy situations and it has excelled every time. However, as it is now the family wagon that precious cargo gets carted around in, time for it to be replaced with something safer with newer tech.
I like fast toys.

2016 Audi RS6 Performance
2007 Audi RS4

beeker

If you are looking Q7's, your next traumatic decision will be NZ new or UK (as a new car import, not a used car import).
The UK Q7 'PLUS' models get allot of nice extras included as standard.

The other thing is that they are about to release a brand new shape.
They are already discounting the price on new cars or adding free extras, and this will waterfall down into older car prices shortly.
Perhaps you should wait a few months? Else at least see what a heavily discounted new one is worth.

I'm surprised on the 3.0 feeling better than the 4.2. Was the 4.2 an 8 speed? at 2012 it should have been.
I'm also guess the 3.0 understeered less ? less weight up front.

14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

Stickman

Quote from: beeker on March 23, 2015, 06:29:50 AM
If you are looking Q7's, your next traumatic decision will be NZ new or UK (as a new car import, not a used car import).
The UK Q7 'PLUS' models get allot of nice extras included as standard.

The other thing is that they are about to release a brand new shape.
They are already discounting the price on new cars or adding free extras, and this will waterfall down into older car prices shortly.
Perhaps you should wait a few months? Else at least see what a heavily discounted new one is worth.

I'm surprised on the 3.0 feeling better than the 4.2. Was the 4.2 an 8 speed? at 2012 it should have been.
I'm also guess the 3.0 understeered less ? less weight up front.

Yeah, had the 8 speed box. Maybe was a dud? 3.0 definitely noticeably less nose heavy. Good point re: the new model coming out, actually asked the dealer about this and the moving of old stock, gave me a vague answer but nothing concrete. Definitely not a fan of the new Q7 if the pics are anything to go buy. Had a look at ex-UK cars. If buying new, would probably go down that route if no NZ dealer decide to discount to move stock. Much easier to handle any warranty claims with a local dealer, obviously. But at a saving of $25-$30k on new...

Hate trying to choose a car with a woman. For me, it is easy. I love nice cars and so happily sink cash into a purchase and will buy what I want within reason, not what offers value for money and utility. She wants either a SW or SUV/4X4 as noted before. Would look at an S4 but categorically wrote out a B8 RS4. (ARGGGHHHHH). Now, tonight while trying to make a decision but also browsing trademe, she throws in an R36 Passat with 66km as a potential option. Obviously much, much cheaper than either a Q7 or Prado. I HATE our current Passat 4motion, however R36 I think is great bang for buck at $30-$35k.

Who knows where this train ends up....
I like fast toys.

2007 Audi RS4

Poonmobile

I drove the black Passat r36 at conti's and that was pretty nice. If they good ones weren't so close in price to a b7 RS4 I would have already jumped on one to complete my VR ownership but I just can't bring myself to do it...
Current:
06 NZ B7 RS4 Avus Silver, 01 NZ B5 RS4 Avus Silver, 93 NZ VR6 Tornado Red 3dr, Renault Clio 172 & Renault Clio 197
Past:
MK2 VR6, MK5 GTI, 2 x MK5 R32, 8L S3 Imola, MK4 Golf V6 4MO, Polo GTI, 2x MK3 VR6, D2 S8, B5 S4 Avant, 03 NZ R32 Deep Blue Pearl, Renault Megane R26 liquid yello

beeker

Quote from: Stickman on March 23, 2015, 11:34:10 PM
.... Would look at an S4 but categorically wrote out a B8 RS4. (ARGGGHHHHH).....

Easy, go straight to the RS6 :)

We had an  Touareg prior to the Q7, and my wife liked that allot, but still a 5 seater.
X5 is a great car too, and the best handling one, and some are 7 seaters (if you have small legs only).
14 RS6 Avant Black
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

mjh

We just traded our 2013 Q7 4.2 at CCS. It's done 30km and has plenty of options. It could be a good option if you like. I think it will hit the yard next week,  however ask Tony Elsmore at CCS Porsche. It's Daytona Grey with 21 inch wheels.

We traded it for the new shape Porsche Cayenne S with the 4.2 V8 diesel. What a car!!!  It's a lot "tighter" than a Q7. We had a B8 RS4 prior to the Q7 for 4 months but it was too small (we have 2 sons).

Pre the RS we had 2 Touareg's which were great, however the Porsche trumps them all.

We did test drive a couple of RS6's for the wife last month but she was keen to have the elevation of the Porsche etc. also - she does nearly 1,000 Km a week now with our new school so diesel made more sense than the RS.

Try a V8 cayenne - super impressive. Also re the 7 seats - we had a 7 seater X5 and now just had the Q7. Our eldest is now 7 and we have never used the 3rd row ever!

Stickman

Quote from: beeker on March 24, 2015, 06:35:43 AM
Easy, go straight to the RS6 :)

We had an  Touareg prior to the Q7, and my wife liked that allot, but still a 5 seater.
X5 is a great car too, and the best handling one, and some are 7 seaters (if you have small legs only).

I actually did suggest an S6, but yeah...that got written out. Looking at Touareg, but man...we get ripped off in NZ. 2014/2015 R Line, 110k-120k new here, can get a <10,000km model for $65-$70 from UK.

Not interested in going BMW. Unless it is M3, M4, M5...and that isn't likely to happen any time soon.

We actually had settled on a Prado, but the VX Ltd that we liked sold before we could get our hands on it and now...sort of ending up in analysis paralysis.
I like fast toys.

2007 Audi RS4

Stickman

Quote from: mjh on March 24, 2015, 07:09:09 AM
We just traded our 2013 Q7 4.2 at CCS. It's done 30km and has plenty of options. It could be a good option if you like. I think it will hit the yard next week,  however ask Tony Elsmore at CCS Porsche. It's Daytona Grey with 21 inch wheels.

We traded it for the new shape Porsche Cayenne S with the 4.2 V8 diesel. What a car!!!  It's a lot "tighter" than a Q7. We had a B8 RS4 prior to the Q7 for 4 months but it was too small (we have 2 sons).

Pre the RS we had 2 Touareg's which were great, however the Porsche trumps them all.

We did test drive a couple of RS6's for the wife last month but she was keen to have the elevation of the Porsche etc. also - she does nearly 1,000 Km a week now with our new school so diesel made more sense than the RS.

Try a V8 cayenne - super impressive. Also re the 7 seats - we had a 7 seater X5 and now just had the Q7. Our eldest is now 7 and we have never used the 3rd row ever!

I suspect that this "7 seater" business will prove a red herring if I am honest. I do like the Porsche, but at $160-$190k...definitely sitting outside of the budget. An older 2010-ish one...might be an option.

I have actually been championing a C63 AMG Wagon this week...but she hates the styling.
I like fast toys.

2007 Audi RS4

le mans

Ha, I think you are screwed. Just buy a CX7. Glad my mrs is happy with the A4 wagon - still a lovely little package. We have a 2nd kid on the way too but resisting any urges to go SUV.

Stickman

Quote from: le mans on March 27, 2015, 11:45:30 PM
Ha, I think you are screwed. Just buy a CX7. Glad my mrs is happy with the A4 wagon - still a lovely little package. We have a 2nd kid on the way too but resisting any urges to go SUV.

Someone actually mentioned a people mover this week, specifically a Toyota Previa. Over my dead body. Ever. Luckily the both wife and I agree on this point, and on people movers in general. She actually WANTED an RS3 prior to babies arriving. Now she is thinking all 'practical like' wanting space for prams etc. Pff. I told her to buy a smaller pram. She told me to shut and up drive the RS4 more often before I judge her car choice. Fair enough, 5000kms in last year...
I like fast toys.

2007 Audi RS4

weta.worker

We've got 3 of these along the back of the RS4

http://nz.diono.com/convertible-to-booster/radianrxt

So you 'can' do it.  Not sure how long it's sustainable for though!

Wife has thoughts on a Discovery (she likes the idea of a rugged vehicle that you can throw at most things), I want to lean to a Q7 or Range Rover but I think it's her turn to choose a car.  :)
1994 RS2 GUARDS RED
2001 RS4 NOGARO BLUE

beeker

Quote from: mjh on March 24, 2015, 07:09:09 AM

Drove a new Cayenne Diesel S a few weeks back, then a 2013 Turbo yesterday. I concur, they are very impressive and chalk and cheese to a Touareg which shares the same chassis.
I see why many petrol turbo buyers have gone Diesel S, more low end (less top end) and for 2/3 the price.
14 RS6 Avant Black
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback