'01 Polo sounding like diesel

Started by Pristle, May 07, 2015, 11:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pristle

We're a whole year down the track and our neighbour across the road is still doing battle with his Polo. If I recall he bought it  with a snapped cambelt.

In a bid to save money, he bought a complete head from captncrash last year. Sadly as this was partly damaged in transit, it had to be disassembled and the damage section sent to Machine Part Welding for repair.

While this was there and following guidance from other people, apparently there was evidence of oil starvation, he elected to strip the whole motor. He replaced bottom end bearings, piston rings (after a light hone) and of course cambelt etc. During this process he cleaned everything, lifters included. Before reassembly he left the lifters in oil to 'prime' for almost 2 days.

His heart sank when he started the car for the first time as it misfired a few times only to settle with a noticeable diesel type rattle/knock. It's always at it's worst first thing in the morning. It will quieten down a little, but it still sounds like a diesel. Sometimes worse under load, but then sometimes quieter.

Last month he sent it off to a 'shop' (not sure who he means), but it's come back even worse. He's certain it's the lifters, but others say it's 'piston slap'.

He's spent a lot of time (and more money than I'd have) trying to get this right. He'd like to dispose of the vehicle, but would like some return on it, not just scrap. So he came to me this morning and asked for me to come and present the case on the board for : 1.) advice about the problem, 2.) if it's lifters, does anyone here have a set and/or 3.) a complete 'good' motor.

mark2 golf

They do seem to be noise engines. I work on a couple with lowish km and they dont sound nice at all.
89 mk2 1.8t
97 mk3 gti 1.8t
90 190e 2.6
17 Amarok v6
09 golf gti

the phantom

Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

Lee

There is a complete 16v 1600 5 speed  01 Polo a pickapart Hamilton

Pristle

This particular car is a 1.4.

Thanks for the heads up Lee, have txt'd the info to the owner.

00quattro00

There is also one at zebra manukau
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

Pristle