Boost Gauge

Started by turbo_onion, July 27, 2006, 11:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turbo_onion

From what Ive read in this forum, low boost due to the DV is a common problem. And since Anton the GURU rekons my DV is on its way out im thinking of putting in a boost gauge to keep an eye on things. Does anybody know of a suitable boost gauge that will match the red illumination of the A3 dash?

And I also need thoughts on a sensible place to put it. There is the usual place on the dash with a Blingin' chrome cup surround right next to my 5inch monster tacho and super bright shift light that is set to 3000rpm so it gets lots of use on those long nights cruising with the boys, but im not after that look. There is also atop the steering column but i was thinking somewhere where it can be hidden away in a classy manner such as the ashtray on the bottom of the centre consle so it can be tucked away when not needed, or in the left hand side of the glovebox in a custom box facing the drivers side also so it can be hidden away.

Any comments would be appreciated, and if the glove box comes up trumps then maybe ill get a few surrounds made if anybodys keen.
Cheers

RS ZWEI

What about one of those "a" pillar mounting units? Paint it to much the inside of your car and it might look like a factory fit?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

hitmanGTI

Boost guage.. is kinda pointless. just open your window and listen to what the motor is doing...

RS ZWEI

Quote from: MK4 GTI on July 29, 2006, 10:54:35 AM
Boost guage.. is kinda pointless. just open your window and listen to what the motor is doing...

::)

So by putting you head out the window you know if an engine is pulling either 14 or 15psi?

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

beeker

Quote from: MK4 GTI on July 29, 2006, 10:54:35 AM

dunno if i agree with that one.
14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

hitmanGTI

Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on July 29, 2006, 11:01:07 AM

So by putting you head out the window you know if an engine is pulling either 14 or 15psi?

If you know what sounds it makes when its pulling those pounds i suppose so..

I know when my car is running full boost.. the whine the turbo makes is like no other...

I dunno maybe im just a freak.. but i wont put a boost guage in unless i was running stupid boost ie 25psi +

unless i could find a nice lookin boost gauge and a discrete place to put it!

beeker

I know there is a good mod for the A4 dash where you cut and install a boost gauge in the middle air vent. If you want a premade one, AWE sell them but its $$.

14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

hitmanGTI

Quote from: beeker on July 29, 2006, 02:29:21 PM
I know there is a good mod for the A4 dash where you cut and install a boost gauge in the middle air vent. If you want a premade one, AWE sell them but its $$.

Yeah

www.swgmotorsport.com

make those ones for the MK4 golf.. they may make em for the A3.. they do look good tho!

eddyg

I use a smallish VDO one in a black pod which is just stuck using the provided double sided tape to the top right of the dash next to the A pillar. It looks good there and doesn't stand out too much (not visible from outside of the car). It comes with a few different colour gel caps that go over the light bulb. I use the red one to match the dash lights.

Plumbing was quite easy, no holes drilled anywhere, just slide the wire and pipe down the side of the dash near the A pillar and it pops out under the dash.

I do find it useful - especially when I was in Oz. It was showing me that I was not developing full boost on hot days - which prompted my investment in the FMIC. And anyway it is nice knowing how much boost your car does develop (~22psi) and for how long before dropping off.

I've got a picture somewhere on another computer - I'll post if I remember.

Cheers, Ed.

turbo_onion

Quoteunless i could find a nice lookin boost gauge and a discrete place to put it!

hence the reason i started this post ;D. Im not running 22psi of boost but it would be just an extra thing to keep an eye on should i want to. I think im gunna go for inside the glove box as on the pillar would be to "in ya face" which i dont really want
Thanks for your advice anyway.

eddyg

Quote from: turbo_onion on July 31, 2006, 02:47:51 PM
hence the reason i started this post ;D. Im not running 22psi of boost but it would be just an extra thing to keep an eye on should i want to. I think im gunna go for inside the glove box as on the pillar would be to "in ya face" which i dont really want
Thanks for your advice anyway.

No problem. I wouldn't put it in the glovebox though - unless you have an eye on a stalk :)

Here are some old pics of my boost gauge, which FWIW most people don't even notice:

Cheers, Ed.

turbo_onion

hmmm that does look resonable. The eyes on a stalk was a good point, and last night i did notice that the glovebox has a yellow bulb in the light so thats a bit crap if im driving with it hanging open. Im really liking the ashtray idea as well but its a bit too small. And the cut out vent looks a bit funny. What about that little vent in your picture. Im gunna cover that up and see how much difference it makes on a rainy day for the window. Maybe look at something that goes in there :)

RobClubley

Does the A3 have a spare DIN slot you could use?

1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

eddyg

Quote from: turbo_onion on July 31, 2006, 03:12:02 PM
hmmm that does look resonable. The eyes on a stalk was a good point, and last night i did notice that the glovebox has a yellow bulb in the light so thats a bit s**t if im driving with it hanging open. Im really liking the ashtray idea as well but its a bit too small. And the cut out vent looks a bit funny. What about that little vent in your picture. Im gunna cover that up and see how much difference it makes on a rainy day for the window. Maybe look at something that goes in there :)

Also bear in mind that the needle flicks around a lot during normal driving. Mine only stays on full boost for two or three seconds most of the time - and the times that you want to look at it are the times that your eyes should be staring right out of the windscreen. Try to keep it in your normal field of vision if you can.

Cheers, Ed.

SimonS2

I took the centre vent option in my S2: it doesn't look perfect, but was an easy place to install. Others have used the S2 ash-tray, or mounted on a small bracket below or above the steering column (like Ed). Some also put a gauge in place of other less useful ones (like battery voltage).

Most interesting option is to do an electronic display wired into the main 'system' LED in the dash. Not sure if this can be done on and A3, but it was actually a standard feature of the old URQ.

I guess it's really only something you need to look at while hunting for problems (I aim for about 25psi: it's helpful to check that I'm getting that from time to time), but the glovebox may be too far away (hard to take eyes off road when testing full throttle).

The listening for turbine whine or whatever method may be a bit flawed as it will howl loud when you have inlet leaks, and when it's bearings are shot  ;D

turbo_onion

QuoteDoes the A3 have a spare DIN slot you could use?

Unfortunatly no. that would be ideal.

QuoteI took the centre vent option in my S2

But im trying to put it in a place that could be hidden away.

Just found a blitz electronic one that is really thin. Might fit in the ash tray. Only problem is 400 bux is quite pricey.   :(

Oh yea, my mitsi starion came with a bung turbo. The bearings were shot so badly that when it came on full boost (~14psi) the noise was no loud it hurt. Far louder then the 2 1/2" straight thru exhaust! But, it still made consistant boost and ran like that for around 2 months until I put another one on. I sold that poor bugger to a guy for $80 and he has had it on for one and a half years now and it STILL makes 20psi on his car. BAHAHA